View Poll Results: Yes, add Flash 10.1 to Pixi l regardless of processor performance

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

49 72.06%
  • no

19 27.94%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Seems like Flash won't be coming to the Pixi with webos 2.0 maybe we can show how many Pixi users desire Flash, if its even possible.

Update: According to an article posted bt pezman726 (thank you) the Motorola Devour has same cpu and has Flash support, so at least there is some hope that the Pixi processor can handle Flash 3.1 Lite

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/04/m...like-an-under/
    Last edited by migs; 10/21/2010 at 03:02 PM.
    Pixi will never support it. The MSM7627 is an armv6 and Flash requires armv7.
    I don't think you need a poll to know people are interested, but unless Adobe has rewritten their requirements, the current Pixi won't support Flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I don't think you need a poll to know people are interested, but unless Adobe has rewritten their requirements, the current Pixi won't support Flash.
    Well said. That's basically what it comes down to...
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    really a bummer. I don't have a pixi, but the form factor is cool. Don't know y they handicapped it so much
    I use a lot of flash on my PC but I never had found myself actually needing flash on my Pixi but it would be nice... or maybe flash lite?
    I am certian the homebrew developers could manage to get something to work, no?
    I just wanted to throw this out there...

Engadget Article about Devour with Flash Lite 3.1

Motorola Devour Specs

Same CPU, Same amount of RAM....Just saying...Maybe not flash 10.1, but at least something should be possible.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Here is a quote from the above link that actually mentions the Pixi and the Devour using the same cpu and they are wondering why palm decied not to include Flash on the Pixi...

"Devour allegedly uses the same next-gen low-cost smartphone processor from Qualcomm, the MSM7627, as the Pixi. Palm has elected not to roll out the Pre's upcoming Flash support to the Pixi on account of its lower-end specs, which begs the question: is Android's Flash Lite 3.1 player significantly more efficient than webOS' Flash 10.1 player, does the Devour have more horsepower packed in there than it's letting on, or does Palm just have higher performance standards for annoying ads than Moto does?"
    Don't need it. Haven't missed it.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Of course I'd like the option but I would expect performance to be pretty awful. It would be nice to assume that users would have reasonable expectations and choose to opt out of flash -- however I don't think it would bode well for the average users first experience.
    I don't need/want it. And, I did my research and knew that before I bought my phone.
    Here's the story from the front page in case anyone missed it:

Yes, webOS 2.0 will be coming to older webOS devices, but Pixi won't get flash
    the pixi CAN'T run flash. It the processor doesn't meet the requirements. The ills of choosing the low-end device....
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    is Android's Flash Lite 3.1 player significantly more efficient than webOS' Flash 10.1 player, does the Devour have more horsepower packed in there than it's letting on, or does Palm just have higher performance standards for annoying ads than Moto does?"
    Uh, none. Adobe makes the Flash 10.1 and Flash Lite plugins, Adobe has chosen not to support any ARM processor with older than v7 instructions for Flash 10.1 (aka only supports Cortex-A8 and newer), and Flash Lite only supports a subset of Flash's features.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 10/21/2010 at 04:45 PM.
    It's not a good idea, especially for us. As with everything not working perfect, a flood of comments and angry posts will arise about how terrible Palm is and why isn't it work better. If it's not going to work there's no reason to release it.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Uh, none. Adobe makes the Flash 10.1 and Flash Lite plugins, Adobe has chosen not to support any ARM processor with older than v7 instructions for Flash 10.1 (aka only supports Cortex-A8 and newer), and Flash Lite only supports a subset of Flash's features.
    Well as long as some videos play in the browser alot of Pixi owners would be happy
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I mean, yes, I really want flash- no question about it. I probably would not have bought the pixi had I known flash would never work on it. That said, what good is it if it cripples the device?

If some enterprising computer whiz wants to hack it on to the pixi i will be glad to try it out, but if the makes the device unusable then what is the point? If overclocking solves the problem then I will definitely get off the dime and install the homebrew installer. But how many people are actually going to do that? I appreciate the effort of the homebrewers but is it really worth the time for them? I hope it is, but who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
    I mean, yes, I really want flash- no question about it. I probably would not have bought the pixi had I known flash would never work on it. That said, what good is it if it cripples the device?

If some enterprising computer whiz wants to hack it on to the pixi i will be glad to try it out, but if the makes the device unusable then what is the point? If overclocking solves the problem then I will definitely get off the dime and install the homebrew installer. But how many people are actually going to do that? I appreciate the effort of the homebrewers but is it really worth the time for them? I hope it is, but who knows.
    That is if the whiz can break into Adobe's code repository and get the source code of Flash, then recompile it...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    also, if that whiz can understand the source. I used to work @ a company that needed to get adobe's documentation for their copy protection on ePubs (ebooks) and their response was....here's the source, with no comments whatsoever, you figure it out. The dev complained about it for about a month! Glad I wasn't stick on that assignment. Flash is a power hungry horribly ineffecient app. Unfortunately, its one of those necessary evils. Too bad there isn't a vimeo app!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast