1.    #1  
    Due to security reasons at my job, I am not allowed to have a camera phone at work. I recently purchase a pixi after viewing the tear-down someone had posted on another thread. My questions are: Has anyone removed the camera from the Pixi? If has been removed, what functions (other than the camera, obviously) are impaired by doing so? My opinions for disabling the camera are either removing the camera and filling the void with epoxy or destroying i.e. drilling a hole through the camera and filling it with epoxy. I'd much rather do the least destructive thing and remove the camera. Any info would be awesome. Thank you.
    would they accept you not having access to the camera app?
    Last edited by NachoB; 10/14/2010 at 11:59 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    good suggestion but i doubt it... as how can they be sure that it wont be able to be re-enabled
    You'd think if the whole app itself (com.palm.app.camera) was deleted from /usr/palm/applications/ that would be more than sufficient.
    again for me and you maybe, but id find out first... the security ppl have strict rules. he may need to do both
    In the parlance of government security, a camera lens is enough to be in violation. software fixes can be removed or changed via a little hackery.

This'll have to be a hardware fix.

(sorry I don't have one.)

nnb
  7.    #7  
    Bigg is correct. That's exactly why I'm asking. Should I try going to Palm's forums and bark up their tree? Sprint is a no-go for removing the camera, although they have told me in the past that they could remove it for me or at least show me how to remove it. That was not the case today when my wife went to have that done today. Eventhough I got phone free, I'm leery to remove the camera myself eventhough it seems relatively easy to do. On the other hand, leaviing the camera intact means leaving the Pixi in the car which defeats the purpose of purchasing a new phone since I work 40+ hours a week.
    Not sure about the Pixi, but I've tried to remove the camera in the Pre. It cannot easily be snapped out and is pretty solidly soldered to the circuit board. You'd have to risk breaking everything to remove it manually.

Unless the Pixi is different, just go ahead and put some glue on it or prepare for some precision drilling.
  9.    #9  
    Update: Last night I was able to remove the camera sucessfully and no effects to other functions (as far as I can tell). It was actually pretty easy; I used a combination of the teardown I found on this forum and one I found for removing the camera from a Treo. After opening it up the halves, you can see a metal retainer box for the camera itself. I used a precision screwdriver to gently pry the retainer off, leaving the camera itself exposed. I then used the precision screwdriver to pop out the camera. After activating the phone, nothing shows up when in camera mode. After checking functionality of everything else, I opened the case again and filled the area where the camera with epoxy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. merts View Post
    Update: Last night I was able to remove the camera sucessfully and no effects to other functions (as far as I can tell). It was actually pretty easy; I used a combination of the teardown I found on this forum and one I found for removing the camera from a Treo. After opening it up the halves, you can see a metal retainer box for the camera itself. I used a precision screwdriver to gently pry the retainer off, leaving the camera itself exposed. I then used the precision screwdriver to pop out the camera. After activating the phone, nothing shows up when in camera mode. After checking functionality of everything else, I opened the case again and filled the area where the camera with epoxy.
    Pics would be cool.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by chad4359 View Post
    Pics would be cool.

I'll see what I can do since I'm sure the epoxy has hardened and the retainer for the camera is probably locked in place. All else fails, I'll try to edit the teardown I saw and circle the parts I'm talking about. Would a pic of the epoxied hole and the camera out of the phone case be good enough?
    That's pretty cool. Would love to see the results.
    What I don't get is why drilling a hole throught the lens wasn't an option for you. Obviously the epoxy in place of the camera module means that you will never be able to replace the camera. Epoxy inside the camea module would be just as destructive. The only thing I can see that you might have gained by going the route you did is that now you have a presumably working camera module / really small paperweight. But the risk of destroying your phone or rendering it inoperable due to some electrical or software conflict from the missing camera module was big, far bigger than just carefully drilling through the lens of the camera and not into its guts. Your best route would have been to have epoxied over the glass lens, filling the little beauty ring around it, and not having destroyed anything. Plus with the epoxy in place there would be no way to ever check if the epoxy was filling a hole in the lens or not. Either way, no picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterpepper View Post
    What I don't get is why drilling a hole throught the lens wasn't an option for you. Obviously the epoxy in place of the camera module means that you will never be able to replace the camera. Epoxy inside the camea module would be just as destructive. The only thing I can see that you might have gained by going the route you did is that now you have a presumably working camera module / really small paperweight. But the risk of destroying your phone or rendering it inoperable due to some electrical or software conflict from the missing camera module was big, far bigger than just carefully drilling through the lens of the camera and not into its guts. Your best route would have been to have epoxied over the glass lens, filling the little beauty ring around it, and not having destroyed anything. Plus with the epoxy in place there would be no way to ever check if the epoxy was filling a hole in the lens or not. Either way, no picture.
    Or black electrical tape!

There's no risk of hardware failure due to the software being there..

Ex: you disconnect your external webcam from your computer.. While the software is running...

Oh noooooes... Computer may crash... Nope...

Misfiring a drill and hitting a crucial piece of hardware... That'll mess your phone up for sure..

Would also like pics

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    my cousin needs to do it too, is it reverseable? i would like pic, too