Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 135358596061626364 LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 1263
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wiwa View Post
    I tried all this already half a year ago on my Pixi, even before the Softswap thing. Believe me, physical swap usage on the Pixi is completety useless in terms of smoothness. The disk write performance is so incredibly bad.

Update: I've been using a softswap of 122880 (equals 120 MB) for couple month now.
    Yes but this is in combination with a ramzswap partition with high priority. So the disk swap space is only used for stuff with low priority, which means that items that are in use/running are being run from RAM and ramzswap, with older stuff sent to the disk swap. Not only is performance superb but stability is now enhanced, along with the other tweaks in the thread, as there is now plenty of memory left after Luna levels out in size. I personally found a ramzswap disksize of 32-64 MB is the sweet spot for a 1.4.5 Pixi, and the standard swap size sufficient. I rarely get lag, and most importantly, I have not seen any lock-ups since. Softswap alone was just not large enough to handle the system after Luna leveled out and the tweaks done to sysctl, as well as Luna, has helped with getting things cleaned. Only problem is 1.4.5 doesn't have all the nice settings that 2.1 has for cleaning.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBoat View Post
    Sorry, I am a newbie here with my new pixi plus. I have read several pages in this forum. Are there instructions somewhere on how to install and use the overclock? Do I need to read all 62 pages to see where someone might have mentioned how to do this? Is there a tutorial section somewhere in these forums?

I manged to install preware and install Govnah, but it doesn't allow me to increase the speed past 600 mhz?

It would just be nice if there was a Wike in the front which says, here is what you do.

Edit: never mind. I think I figured out my problem.

Looks like I need to:
    1. Install update to 1.45. I need to do a lot of research on the web just find out how to do that? I type in update on my phone and then it will start a download.
    2. Probably install a new kernel. (These kernels on Preware said unavailable, likely due to my being on 1.40.)
    3. Then install Govnah (which may not even be needed because I read somewhere it runs at 800 Mhz with the new kernel).

Wish these type of instructions were up front. What may seem very obvious can take hours of research leading down wrong paths, etc. Excited anyway about what can be done.

Yup this all worked painlessly, once I knew what to do.
    Not everything in life is handed to you in a fruitbasket. That informations easily available with any simple search.
  3.    #1243  
    Sorry, I am a newbie here with my new pixi plus. I have read several pages in this forum. Are there instructions somewhere on how to install and use the overclock? Do I need to read all 62 pages to see where someone might have mentioned how to do this? Is there a tutorial section somewhere in these forums?

I manged to install preware and install Govnah, but it doesn't allow me to increase the speed past 600 mhz?

It would just be nice if there was a Wike in the front which says, here is what you do.

Looks like I need to:
    1. Install update to 1.45. I need to do a lot of research on the web just find out how to do that? I type in update on my phone and then it will start a download.
    2. Probably install a new kernel. (These kernels on Preware said unavailable, likely due to my being on 1.40.)
    3. Then install Govnah (which may not even be needed because I read somewhere it runs at 800 Mhz with the new kernel).

Wish these type of instructions were up front. What may seem very obvious can take hours of research leading down wrong paths, etc. Excited anyway about what can be done.

The Preware Homebrew Documentation app in the official app catalog has exactly what you need.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    it seems interesting....
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman97 View Post
    Yes but this is in combination with a ramzswap partition with high priority. So the disk swap space is only used for stuff with low priority, which means that items that are in use/running are being run from RAM and ramzswap, with older stuff sent to the disk swap. Not only is performance superb but stability is now enhanced, along with the other tweaks in the thread, as there is now plenty of memory left after Luna levels out in size. I personally found a ramzswap disksize of 32-64 MB is the sweet spot for a 1.4.5 Pixi, and the standard swap size sufficient. I rarely get lag, and most importantly, I have not seen any lock-ups since. Softswap alone was just not large enough to handle the system after Luna leveled out and the tweaks done to sysctl, as well as Luna, has helped with getting things cleaned. Only problem is 1.4.5 doesn't have all the nice settings that 2.1 has for cleaning.
    (1) Have you tried Pixi 2.1 as well? Is it kind of usable?

(2) The hybrid solution might be near to optimal for many use cases, but not for all. I get ugly lags when I use calendar and browser frequently. These two apps are my watermark for productive work.
    (1) Have you tried Pixi 2.1 as well? Is it kind of usable?

(2) The hybrid solution might be near to optimal for many use cases, but not for all. I get ugly lags when I use calendar and browser frequently. These two apps are my watermark for productive work.
    1. I haven't yet since I'm still not sure if there is a reason to go with something more resource intensive. But, from the Clearing Swap Memory Thread in the Pre section, the 2.1 Pre- guys are loving this set-up. And some even say a very large swap, without compcahe is even better. I'm still more partial to the separate swaps since without compcache, free RAM is ~5MB vs. ~12MB for me.

2. Try messing around with the parameters. Things use to get very sluggish for me after a few days but things are much better now since I've: enlarged swap from 200 to 550MB, let Linux manage the swap partitions vs. ramzswap, and honed in on my sysctl.conf settings. Each device is different, hence why the sysctl.conf settings must be tailored to your own usage.

Essentially, the conclusions made from the thread I referenced were: the cleaning daemons ran too often, when the dirty_ratio level is hit, the phone goes to a crawl (hence I raised mine to 90), our phones hate having 1/2 the swap full so increasing it helps (and reduces the need for cleaning up), Linux handling swap partitions makes ramzswap more efficient (backing store was even eliminated from later versions), and that the SSD swap has a marginal performance penalty compared to ramzswap. Now, you mentioned prior that ramzswap has much better read/write performance so I'm not sure how different the Pixi is compared to the Pre. I can say that I don't see a big hit when not using ramzswap as I figure the weak processor of the Pixi makes ramzswap somewhat more even with the SSD. But with multiple browser windows open, Slacker, Pandora, email, and messaging, I typically don't see much lag, though there would be the occasional 1 second pause on music when launching another app, but I can live with that. With Govnah set to keep the CPU between 600-806 w/ ondemandTCL and deadline as the scheduler, I'd say that, with the vm settings and larger swap make the Pixi on 1.4.5 much better. Given that, I'm sure these settings would help for 2.1 on a Pixi as well, though I'm still uncertain about the luna.conf settings.
    well the good thing about completely disabling swap is that the cleaning doesn't impact on the usability anymore --> no more lags. You say it is the same when massively enlarging the swap partition ... I'm not yet convinced if I should take the configuration effort

Could you countercheck for me how well your calendar performs? Try switching between the views 10 times in a row (like week, day, week, day, month, day, month, week, day ... ) until you get a temporary freeze. Note the swap usage in Govnah before and after the test. Mine is freezing after ~ 5 times of switching, while memory usage goes up 20-30 megabytes.

Thank you
    well the good thing about completely disabling swap is that the cleaning doesn't impact on the usability anymore --> no more lags. You say it is the same when massively enlarging the swap partition ... I'm not yet convinced if I should take the configuration effort

Could you countercheck for me how well your calendar performs? Try switching between the views 10 times in a row (like week, day, week, day, month, day, month, week, day ... ) until you get a temporary freeze. Note the swap usage in Govnah before and after the test. Mine is freezing after ~ 5 times of switching, while memory usage goes up 20-30 megabytes.

Thank you
    Using free -m in terminal to poll vs. Govnah (Govnah running slows things down), I witnessed a max swap usage of 162 MB (started at under 90 MB). Pausing for a second would bring things back down to 134 MB. Waiting around a minute brought things back down to 115 MB. During that wait, free RAM went from 2 MB to 63 MB, as things went to swap. I never had a freeze, though at around 162 MB usage I got some decent lag (5 sec pause between view switches and switching to Terminal). This is using a ramzswap partition set to 32 MB (~12 MB stored in RAM) and the increased swap partition. Again, this is with 1.4.5 so I can't check to see how well the 2.1 Calendar works with these settings. I'm also using the ondemandTCL governor set to go between 600 and 806 MHz.

Repeating using a fixed speed of 600 MHz (since I know you 2.1 guys don't have overclocking yet) actually had less long pauses, since most of the calendar data was already in swap. This time, it went up to 177 MB of swap usage, and reducing the speed to 600 MHz fixed had only a slight effect on speed. Again, waiting a minute also produced the same drop in swap usage with similar free RAM increases.

Again, the important thing I found was that the main culprit for the slow downs was the tripping of dirty_ratio. Stock I think is around 60, maybe even lower. So given the 200 MB swap, 196 RAM, and 20 MB compcache, this would trip at ~250 MB of usage. With RAM full, this would mean 54 MB of swap. So pushing this to 90 helps to push this to ~180 MB. But increasing the swap also helps so that applications normally used can fill up swap before this is tripped. As my test showed, using Calendar as you requested got me to reach this limit. But since my swap is 585 MB total, my limit was much higher so I did not trip it. Plus, my sysctl.conf settings allow massive amounts of RAM to free up ASAP when given the chance. Plus, given that Luna gets swap to peg at ~120-130 MB after a few days, it is even more important to make sure this limit is not reached by normal application usage.

Give the sysctl.conf settings a try. If you see an improvement, I definitely suggest enlarging the swap partition (should be easier for you than me) and using it in combination with ramzswap. It may also help to make the swap size in /etc/init.d/swaphack.sh correspond to what is displayed on /sbin/swapon -s, since the value in the script is for the swap size in the Pre, and not the Pixi or what you have. I can't confirm if this helps but out of personal preference, I like to keep all system files consistent with each other. Again, the goal is to prevent total memory usage from hitting the dirty_ratio value for VM, as that is the culprit for the majority of the slow downs. I will leave it to you to decide how you wish to avoid it (either with a larger softswap partition, using what I have, or just raising the ratio).
    Thank you, that's very interesting, despite me not buying all of your conclusions, especially not the "as things went to swap". Anyway I need to think about it and maybe try to doctor my Pixi to 2.1.

Your conclusion on the dirty_ratio sounds plausible, yet surprising. Linux manuals used to prefer low dirty_ratio for better performance and a high dirty_ratio for memory starved systems. I'll give it a try.

My prefered configuration for 1.4.5 is 120MB pure ramzswap without any physical backing ( = "softswap"). No more lags, but sometimes a TMC error.
    Thank you, that's very interesting, despite me not buying all of your conclusions, especially not the "as things went to swap". Anyway I need to think about it and maybe try to doctor my Pixi to 2.1.

Your conclusion on the dirty_ratio sounds plausible, yet surprising. Linux manuals used to prefer low dirty_ratio for better performance and a high dirty_ratio for memory starved systems. I'll give it a try.

My prefered configuration for 1.4.5 is 120MB pure ramzswap without any physical backing ( = "softswap"). No more lags, but sometimes a TMC error.
    Well, I can't explain it otherwise why switching to the slower speed didn't make kill performance (given the 200 MHz drop), other than having data in memory when it wasn't before (I was starting relatively fresh and haven't used the Calendar yet and prior to switching speeds, I quit Calendar).

The problem with the dirty_ratio is that a low number will keep more memory free but on the Pixi, it is very taxing on the processor. Pushing it up so that it doesn't get hit solves this (especially since I view this as the emergency clean whereas dirty_background_ratio is for good house keeping, which I keep at 5). Not sure if the 2.1 Pixi has similar parameters to the Pre, but the Pre version of 2.1 also has the marvelous zone_reclaim which also allows one to tune vm for caching or for reclaiming old pages (which may also be helpful for you).

I did try your softswap patches, but I found that the swap size was not sufficient for my use (I even had almost daily Luna resets as oom killed Luna daily). Even the 200 MB stock swap wasn't enough, and the reduced RAM availability made application launches slow (though once in things were better than standard swap), especially with incoming calls/messages. Even my sysctl.conf settings, using the standard swap and a separate 64 MB ramzswap swap wasn't enough, which led me to finally increase the standard swap size by 350 MB. Maybe trying the sysctl.conf settings would have helped with softswap, but I'm satisfied with what I found. If you want to try the sysctl.conf settings, there is now a patch available with settings found best for the Pre (or you can manually create the file and input your own settings).

Looks like I need to:

Well, read the title. Although overclocking is now mainstream basically, this thread originally was for experimental purposes, prior to the public release of UberKernel. All this info, related to overclocking, is upfront in the UberKernel thread. A simple search for UberKernel would have yielded this. But I suggest keeping Govnah so you can fine tune the parameters (and since after crashes, the phone will boot using stock parameters).
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The Preware Homebrew Documentation app in the official app catalog has exactly what you need.

-- Rod
    HI i am a newbie too, i have posted in a few different forums, and i am being ignored.
    I have a pixi plus, installed uberkernel, and govnah, as directed in The Preware Homebrew Documentation app, and i am not able to change it even one level.
    Each setting that i try the phone freezes and restarts,

please have pity and respond,
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by apples7244 View Post
    HI i am a newbie too, i have posted in a few different forums, and i am being ignored.
    I have a pixi plus, installed uberkernel, and govnah, as directed in The Preware Homebrew Documentation app, and i am not able to change it even one level.
    Each setting that i try the phone freezes and restarts,

please have pity and respond,
    Thanks
    Let's start with the basics, you have properly installed both and you have rebooted your phone (full reboot) after installing Uberkernel, correct? Are you using one of the preset settings or are you starting off with making your own profile? Note that changing profiles aren't instant and you may have to wait several seconds before the change occurs and the phone becomes responsive again.

This would probably be better answered in the main Uberkernel thread (under WebOS Internals Section).
    Let's start with the basics, you have properly installed both and you have rebooted your phone (full reboot) after installing Uberkernel, correct? Are you using one of the preset settings or are you starting off with making your own profile? Note that changing profiles aren't instant and you may have to wait several seconds before the change occurs and the phone becomes responsive again.

This would probably be better answered in the main Uberkernel thread (under WebOS Internals Section).
    Thanks for a real quick response, i am trying just the preset settings, and i have waited a nice few seconds each time and it always freezes, not once did i succeed with any overclocking,
    Thanks for a real quick response, i am trying just the preset settings, and i have waited a nice few seconds each time and it always freezes, not once did i succeed with any overclocking,
    But you did restart your phone after installation, correct? What's a few seconds for you? Sometimes it could take 20 seconds or even longer, depending on many factors. You could also try to create your own profile based on the stock one.
    But you did restart your phone after installation, correct? What's a few seconds for you? Sometimes it could take 20 seconds or even longer, depending on many factors. You could also try to create your own profile based on the stock one.
    Thanks again for your response, i have restarted right away, and i have waited a few minutes after any change, and without touching it just freezes and restarts.

Since i am a newbie, is there anywhere i can see a recommended list of the different variances i should put in the fields at the advanced settings?
    Thanks again for your response, i have restarted right away, and i have waited a few minutes after any change, and without touching it just freezes and restarts.

Since i am a newbie, is there anywhere i can see a recommended list of the different variances i should put in the fields at the advanced settings?
    Try reinstalling everything to see if that solves your problem. If you want suggestions for settings, read through this thread.
    Try reinstalling everything to see if that solves your problem. If you want suggestions for settings, read through this thread.
    i uninstalled and reinstalled govnah and uberkernel, and still the same problem,
    A) would doctoring the device help.
    B) are there any known issues with other patches interfering with govnah, i have some other patches installed, just basic ones to extend vibrates, etc
    I have been working on a Sprint Pixi Plus conversion. Last week I had the govnah letting me select the profiles for higher than 600 Mhz but in the latest incarnation (installed from doctor, preware, uberkernel and govnah) the notes say you cannot go high on a pixi and in fact I can no longer select the profiles. Anyone know what changed in the past few days?

Thanks

rob
    Hi.

I installed uberkernel (it seems to be 1.4.5-178) from preware.
    And Govnah.

It is working fine at 749 MHz.

After the installation of uberkernel (and some patches) my Pixi+ started asking to update my WebOs to 1.4.5

Of course, it came with WebOs 1.4.5 by default.
    In nags me and it dows not let me update any other application as it keeps asking to update webos first.

What should I do?