Page 58 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8485354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1263
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wiwa View Post
    I'm not sure about these things, that's why I went back to 90MB a few days ago.
    I would like my Pixi to be a workhorse on the long run. I can live with the TMC thing, since I'm used to close my cards when I'm done. Also, webOS seems a tiny bit snappier on the long run, but that might well be a placebo effect.
    Yeah I can maybe see how smaller might be better but the problem is....webos likes to hang onto unique pages, so when you try to go for diff apps or different content on websites the swap will be pegged very quickly. It doesnt know how to shrink down the pages that havent been used in a while.
    Which I think is kind of a memory leak or really poor memory management on part of webos.

So, once your 90MB swap is pegged, even though apps are closed, opening different types of apps than before will probably yield in getting TMC much sooner...cuz its hanging onto the pages from the previously used apps.

Anywho , Im messin around with various vm parameters to see if performance can be changed even further.
    Can I get a verification, what is generally regarded on the best kernel to install for the Pixi? Can someone share their best govnah settings also?
    ok, i played around with the swap stuff...can't keep it. I'm going back to compcache. Here's why.

While playing with the swap did make my phone run smoother, i got TMC errors after running about 3-4 apps (mainly games) at the same time. While that doesn't seem like it would be a common occurrence for many...i let my 2yr old play with my phone. (i know...not safe!!) and she likes to open up many apps and switch between them. So, by the time she had Earth Now, Kids Paint, Moo, Critical Mass, Ancient Pond and ancient pond open, she got a TMC error when trying to open Tonal Pool. Thus, in an effort to keep my 2yr old entertained, I'm back to a slightly slower compcache, without the TMC errors.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    Yeah I can maybe see how smaller might be better but the problem is....webos likes to hang onto unique pages, so when you try to go for diff apps or different content on websites the swap will be pegged very quickly.
    worse: even with just the calendar you can peg all your swap.

So, once your 90MB swap is pegged, even though apps are closed, opening different types of apps than before will probably yield in getting TMC much sooner...cuz its hanging onto the pages from the previously used apps.
    Referring to the swap usage shown in Govnah, with UberKernel it is beeing cleaned up aggressively when it comes to pegged. As long as it can still free some RAM, you can continue with multiple cards even after a TMC.

I wonder if it is enough to have the softswap option added to Govnah despite the limitations. More feedback welcome
    Last edited by wiwa; 04/21/2011 at 04:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Yha, ive been having no problems using it over the past couple of days. clean simple use to massive lag attacks. But I restart my phone nightly so that probably clears any cached swap. How do I set the swap on startup automatically?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I have one problem in for install pixi, anyone can help me....Thanks.
    "Welcome In My World and Smille"
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angel18 View Post
    I have one problem in for install pixi, anyone can help me....Thanks.
    It would help if you explained what exactly your problem was
    Something about Pixi-Tunning:
    My Wife was always complaining me about her slow phone (the Pixi), so I played a bit with the tunning stuff which was posted in nexave.de by wiwa, uberkernel, govnah, read-ahed, last but not least the softswap. What can I say, last week she asked me if i changed her phone because now it's really nice to use. The problem is, the settings for softswap dont survive a reset. Is it possible to install these settings in Govnah?
    Quote Originally Posted by bcs-luggi View Post
    Something about Pixi-Tunning:
    My Wife was always complaining me about her slow phone (the Pixi), so I played a bit with the tunning stuff which was posted in nexave.de by wiwa, uberkernel, govnah, read-ahed, last but not least the softswap. What can I say, last week she asked me if i changed her phone because now it's really nice to use. The problem is, the settings for softswap dont survive a reset. Is it possible to install these settings in Govnah?
    Can you link the settings you mention? I havent read anythin of the read_ahead tweak. So, can you link the post by wiwa? Thanks =)
    i installed uber kernel pixi using preware. restarted phone. then installed govnah. now how do i set the speed to 800? is govnah only for pre? cause i see a bunch of screenstates that go up to 500/1000.

is there a govnah for pixi that im supposed to install? thanks for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    ... how do i set the speed to 800? is govnah only for pre? cause i see a bunch of screenstates that go up to 500/1000.

is there a govnah for pixi that im supposed to install? thanks for your help.
    At Govnahs home screen just tap on the very first line. It is labeled "Profile". Then you should be offered a list of overclocking profiles such as "OnDemandTcl806" for 806MHz. Just pick the profile that you feel is the best for your usage pattern with regard to speed and battery life.

If you don't see such profiles, something is wrong with your installation. Try re-install ...
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    Can you link the settings you mention? I havent read anythin of the read_ahead tweak. So, can you link the post by wiwa? Thanks =)
    We added the following lines to bootmisc.sh:

Code:
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-swap
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-var
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-media
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-update
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-log
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-root
    the command dmsetup info should then return a read ahead value of 0 for all the partitions.

I observed a slightly better performance when the swap goes above 60MB w/o compcache. The email app is faster when switching through a bunch of (new) emails. Also the overall system recovered somewhat better when it ran into low mem trouble.

Background: for some obscure reason the device mapper is optimized for RAID configurations, reading ahead a full stripe of 128KB, expecting sequential read I/O. In fact, there is no relevant amount of sequential blocks on our mobile's flash drive, especially not on the swap partition. So the 128 kilobytes contain useless data in almost every case. I assume that the read cache gets flushed by it.
    Last edited by wiwa; 04/22/2011 at 05:43 PM.
    At Govnahs home screen just tap on the very first line. It is labeled "Profile". Then you should be offered a list of overclocking profiles such as "OnDemandTcl806" for 806MHz. Just pick the profile that you feel is the best for your usage pattern with regard to speed and battery life.

If you don't see such profiles, something is wrong with your installation. Try re-install ...
    reinstalled like you suggested and it worked this time! thanks much
    is ondemand 806 stable and safe to use?
    I've been finding Ondemand @ 806.4 very stable. Typically I use msm7k because its a bit more.. relaxed in how it up/downclocks, but ondemand was fine here as well.

I'm trying to find the perfect balance that will net me the best performance, but I'm clearly well off the mark because even the lowest Pixi on webOSMark Stats is far beyond my best score so far (378.4 vs 326.2)
    Edit: Just got 368 but I can't ever get this program to upload the results properly :\
    Last edited by Saijin_Naib; 04/22/2011 at 06:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
    I've been finding Ondemand @ 806.4 very stable. Typically I use msm7k because its a bit more.. relaxed in how it up/downclocks, but ondemand was fine here as well.

I'm trying to find the perfect balance that will net me the best performance, but I'm clearly well off the mark because even the lowest Pixi on webOSMark Stats is far beyond my best score so far (378.4 vs 326.2)
    Edit: Just got 368 but I can't ever get this program to upload the results properly :\
    webosmark isnt really accurate for finding performance results quite useless really imo. Its all about what actual performance difference you can experience on the device yourself. And how much you willing to sacrifice for battery life or a balanced ratio.

We added the following lines to bootmisc.sh:

Code:
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-swap
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-var
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-media
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-update
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-log
    blockdev --setra none /dev/mapper/store-root
    the command dmsetup info should then return a read ahead value of 0 for all the partitions.

I observed a slightly better performance when the swap goes above 60MB w/o compcache. The email app is faster when switching through a bunch of (new) emails. Also the overall system recovered somewhat better when it ran into low mem trouble.

Background: for some obscure reason the device mapper is optimized for RAID configurations, reading ahead a full stripe of 128KB, expecting sequential read I/O. In fact, there is no relevant amount of sequential blocks on our mobile's flash drive, especially not on the swap partition. So the 128 kilobytes contain useless data in almost every case. I assume that the read cache gets flushed by it.
    wiwa can you show where exactly you added these lines? and how you get softswap to startup with boot please.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    please more kernels for the pixi, uber is working really well for me but warthog drained my battery like crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    webosmark isnt really accurate for finding performance results quite useless really imo. Its all about what actual performance difference you can experience on the device yourself. And how much you willing to sacrifice for battery life or a balanced ratio.
    Is there anything better? I'm especially interested in the effect of things like ignore nice, tickle, floor, etc (ondemandctl) on performance, as well as the usage (or not) of compcache. Things like the IO scheduler can also be very important to test (not sure what "feels" better between anticipatory & CFQ), as well as TCP Congestion Control Method. For that, I'm using Net Speed but that program isn't very accurate I don't think.

I'd love to see a core benchmark suite that addresses IOPS, IO speed, Netspeed accurately so we can better tune our devices to what we want/expect.

Right now I'm:
    msm7k - 122.88 to 806.4
    compcache - disabled
    I/OSched - anticipatory
    TCPCongest - Veno
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    no but from previous extensive testing from tons of people who have used webos mark. it dosent really accurately reflect the performance of the device. if you look back a couple pages alot of the kernel settings have been fine tuned. I run msm7k because i like the smooth scaling and good battery life. and now were just working on other things. and if you dont have softswap on your compache should be on like 4mb i find good. and tcp I use westwood.
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    wiwa can you show where exactly you added these lines? and how you get softswap to startup with boot please.
    I put it in bootmisc.sh behind : exit 0 . You may want to add the softswap script there, since it seems to be working for @GenTarkin. I myself didn't do it because it may conflict with compcache settings oneday when I forget about the altering (I'm very forgetful)

At nexave.de a Pixi user had to doctor his phone after he tried to edit bootmisc.sh --> it's your own responsibility