Page 57 of 64 FirstFirst ... 7475253545556575859606162 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1263
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    well I got it but wish I had written down settings for cmod on a few files first
    sorry I thought it went through but it did not, locked up the phone good though. Also warthog does have the lib files also. I am getting an error on line four syntax error as soon as I get passed that I let you know.
    Last edited by rch4him; 04/15/2011 at 07:52 PM.
    Hi,

the attached "softswap.zip" contains the script files. You can copy them directly to the Pixi via USB. The permissions are already set, so you should be able to run them you just by typing one of the fowllowing lines into the Terminal app on the Pixi:

turn softswap on:

./media/internal/softswap160.sh

- or -

./media/internal/softswap90.sh

turn softswap off:

./media/internal/softswapoff.sh

Sorry if it sounds a little bit over-precise - I just want to avoid misunderstandings because my english is not so good.

EDIT2: 90MB is not enough. I've been using 120MB for couple month now.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by wiwa; 06/30/2011 at 03:15 PM.
    ozmo1911 likes this.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wiwa View Post
    Hi,

the attached "softswap.zip" contains the script files. You can copy them directly to the Pixi via USB. The permissions are already set, so you should be able to run them you just by typing one of the fowllowing lines into the Terminal app on the Pixi:

turn softswap on:

./media/internal/softswap160.sh

- or -

./media/internal/softswap90.sh

turn softswap off:

./media/internal/softswapoff.sh

Sorry if it sounds a little bit over-precise - I just want to avoid misunderstandings because my english is not so good.
    thankyou for all your help. im gonna try these out pronto,

just followed your steps no error, just went to a new line like nothing happened does that mean it worked? any way to check? and can i have compache on at the same time?

edit: wont let me run compache so I guess that means its working.

and my opinion. im not really noticing a increase in performance at all. seems to run better with compache.
    Last edited by giggles; 04/16/2011 at 11:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    ... any way to check? ...
    in the Terminal app, the free - command returns the amount of available swap. The output is better readible in landscape mode.

The swap total number should be:
    92152 (if 90MB softswap is active),
    163832 (if 160MB softswap is active),
    > 200000 if normal compcache or nothing is active.

Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    ... im not really noticing a increase in performance at all ...
    The idea of softswap is that the performance stays the same as if you had just restarted your device. Personally I appreciate that the calendar no longer freezes just when I'm in a hurry.
    Last edited by wiwa; 04/16/2011 at 12:12 PM.
    I havent tried this yet but Im definitely intrigued. I think this deserves its own thread, most new users arent going to read through 57 pages to get to this.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wiwa View Post
    in the Terminal app, the free - command returns the amount of available swap. The output is better readible in landscape mode.

The swap total number should be:
    92152 (if 90MB softswap is active),
    163832 (if 160MB softswap is active),
    > 200000 if normal compcache or nothing is active.

The idea of softswap is that the performance stays the same as if you had just restarted your device. Personally I appreciate that the calendar no longer freezes just when I'm in a hurry.
    so tested and it wasnt on. So I ran again. and now I see the smoothness this is fantastic. so snappy. thanks wiwa. is it not possible to run compache at the same time and will i have to turn this on everytime my device restarts?

edit: im running 160 btw
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I have been trying to keep up with all the amazing work everyone has been doing to make the Pixi be all it can possibly be, but my work schedule has been crazy lately. I am kind of confused on the install of the softswap files to the media portion of the pixi. Once I have the Pixi plugged into the computer I don't see any folder or other location on the Pixi named Media, which is where wiwa stated they need to be placed. This is probably some rookie mistake I am making, but any help anyone could afford would be much appreciated. Thank You
    @giggles: a few days ago, @GenTarkin posted a solution with /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

@bjncj07: /media/internal is the same as the root directory in USB mode.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bjncj07 View Post
    Hi all,

I have been trying to keep up with all the amazing work everyone has been doing to make the Pixi be all it can possibly be, but my work schedule has been crazy lately. I am kind of confused on the install of the softswap files to the media portion of the pixi. Once I have the Pixi plugged into the computer I don't see any folder or other location on the Pixi named Media, which is where wiwa stated they need to be placed. This is probably some rookie mistake I am making, but any help anyone could afford would be much appreciated. Thank You
    just put them on your hdd. media/internal/ is your hdd.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Ok so i got the softswap files onboard the Pixi, and verified their location via Internalz :

/media/internal/softswap160.sh
    /media/internal/softswap90.sh
    /media/internal/softswapoff.sh

But now when I enter the command ( ./media/internal/softswap160.sh ) via the Terminal app I get the following error? I have checked using the free command in Terminal and the total swap is always over 200000. which leads me to believe that the softswap install was not successful.

Any ideas as to what i am doing wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bjncj07; 04/16/2011 at 07:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    dont put in the period(.) [the one before the /media] and it will work i promise
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Awsome, thank you to wiwa and giggles I managed to get it installed, and now the Pixi is really seamless. I really appreciate the hard work and prompt responses.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    Thats odd that you get a permission denied =(
    Either way Ive always thought the compression ratio was incredible and now that its storage potential is even greater than before...its still the same, incredible.
    For 110MB of swap size, the compressed size of that reported by cat ramzswap is 40-50MB.
    So for 40-50MB of RAM usage we are able to squeeze even more usable RAM in the form of swap.

The only downfall of ramzswap is I dont think it returns all compressed pages back to RAM when they are no longer needed. So even if your swap usage goes back down to say 80MB(which is like 30-40MB compressed) ramz will still hold that up to 50MB hostage, meaning 10MB of RAM is pretty much useless at that point. But, I have seen ramz actually start to shrink that number down too after a certain amount of time.

Anyways, I have to say this is the hugest "smoothness" improvement my pixi has ever seen is one heck of a massive ramzswap ONLY w/ no backing cache on disk. Mines set at 160MB currently.

Hopefully the coming days are as smooth for it as it is now, will know more when it goes through more normal usage patterns.

Also, Ive added this script to /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh in the form of the line:
    /media/internal/softswapon.sh &

how exactly do I add this correctly.

I just went in on internals and added the command above to the last line. Is there a way where we could make a patch to automatically set the swap and have it start up at boot to. make this easier for everybody. and only thing theyll have to maybe do is enter the location into terminal to turn it on different settings or off
    rwhitby may add it to Govnah as an additional switch in the compcache section. When it is stable for several people over several days I'll send him a PM

Update: Looks as if I cannot send PMs to anybody. So pls anyone elso to contact rwhithby or an forum moderator to outsource the softswap posts.
    Last edited by wiwa; 04/17/2011 at 07:50 AM.
    Just an update here:
    Uptime has been 5+ days. Performance nearly identical to a fresh boot. Its not quite but its close. Its still much better than pure disk swap or ramzswap w/ disk backing.

I am very happy with this setup!
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I just tried this and it has been great so far. Will try it for as long as possible.
    Small update ... as of this morning, luna randomly restarted on me while I was sleeping. It probably happened when my background app tried to switch backgrounds as that requires some RAM. Linux probably had to kill the process using most RAM to free up some, so it killed lunasysmanager....my complete guess of course.

But, luna restarted just fine and I gained back a ton of ramzswap space.
    Now, it could have been because of low mem situation or because of the stability of my OC...Im not sure.

I think webos has some sort of memory leak and doesnt like releasing stuff unless luna is restarted ~ which is completely beyond our control, it shows this same behaviour when runnin a pure swap file or ramz w/ disk backing.

After the luna restart, it was a tad bit snappier as I would expect, but the difference from needing to do a complete reboot every one or 2 days because of low mem situations is HUGE.

So, I still think this is a vastly superior solution. In the 5 days straight that my phone was runnin before the random luna restart, performance was nothing shy of amazing.
    Heck considering the fact 5 days without needing to do a reboot, to keep the same performance, PERIOD is amazing.

I also suspect people who can reach the high clocks of 850mhz may even experience better performance, because at this point its all about how fast the processor can compress / decompress pages, which is obviously faster than swapping pages in and out of the disk(hence the better experience).
    Ok, I've been watching this for some time now. I got my pixi replaced a few weeks ago, and the one i have now is actually capable of hitting 849 stable!! So I'm going to go ahead and toss those scripts on my drive and give it a go!

EDIT: Tried running the files that wiwa posted, I'm getting the "error inserting...File exists" error. I'm running warthog, and verified that I do in fact have ramzswap.ko and xvmalloc.ko in the directory. Shall I go to UK and test again? Has anybody got this working with warthog? Also, does the profile that I'm running need to have compcache disabled BEFORE I run the script?

EDIT AGAIN: Disabled compcache and BAM! Swap: 163832

Thanks,
    pez
    Last edited by pezman726; 04/18/2011 at 11:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    Small update ... as of this morning, luna randomly restarted on me while I was sleeping. It probably happened when my background app tried to switch backgrounds as that requires some RAM. Linux probably had to kill the process using most RAM to free up some, so it killed lunasysmanager....my complete guess of course.

But, luna restarted just fine and I gained back a ton of ramzswap space.
    Now, it could have been because of low mem situation or because of the stability of my OC...Im not sure.

I think webos has some sort of memory leak and doesnt like releasing stuff unless luna is restarted ~ which is completely beyond our control, it shows this same behaviour when runnin a pure swap file or ramz w/ disk backing.

After the luna restart, it was a tad bit snappier as I would expect, but the difference from needing to do a complete reboot every one or 2 days because of low mem situations is HUGE.

So, I still think this is a vastly superior solution. In the 5 days straight that my phone was runnin before the random luna restart, performance was nothing shy of amazing.
    Heck considering the fact 5 days without needing to do a reboot, to keep the same performance, PERIOD is amazing.

I also suspect people who can reach the high clocks of 850mhz may even experience better performance, because at this point its all about how fast the processor can compress / decompress pages, which is obviously faster than swapping pages in and out of the disk(hence the better experience).
    I'm not sure about these things, that's why I went back to 90MB a few days ago.
    I would like my Pixi to be a workhorse on the long run. I can live with the TMC thing, since I'm used to close my cards when I'm done. Also, webOS seems a tiny bit snappier on the long run, but that might well be a placebo effect.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Well, my phone restarts ever morning automatically. And I just reenable the swap. Performance has been good. I've been running msm7k though on uk 400-800. Switches from apps very smoothly. Only time I experience lag is the camera app. Which lags more then normal