Page 56 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6465152535455565758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1263
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Is the problem I need to make them executable because thats the only thing I havent done. I edited them with notepad++ saved them correctly then putem on my HDD then ran them using media-internals-softswapon.sh.

I just checked both files the scripts are fine. I turned off compache thinking that was the problem then tryed to enable them. still didnt work.
    Last edited by giggles; 04/14/2011 at 07:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    Is the problem I need to make them executable because thats the only thing I havent done. I edited them with notepad++ saved them correctly then putem on my HDD then ran them using media-internals-softswapon.sh.

I just checked both files the scripts are fine. I turned off compache thinking that was the problem then tryed to enable them. still didnt work.
    Yeah, chmod 777 ought to do the trick.

Code:
    chmod 777 softswapon.sh
    chmod 777 softswapoff.sh
    ./softswapon.sh
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    what do I do with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightomni View Post
    GenTarkin, are you running with overclocking as well?

What ramzswap size are you running to get 160MB effective RAM?

And, should this be broken out into its own thread?
    Yes I am running my pixi at 820mhz performance governor.

In the softswapon.sh script use the kb_size=169984

This allows the swapsize of the device to be 160MB, ramzswap has effectively shrunk up to 140MB of pages into something around the size of 60M or less....
    Nothing short of amazing.

The OC really helps with compression / decompression speed.

Update on second day: No reboots needed. Swap usage sitting around 100M mark with 5-6 apps open. ramzswap is occupying 38-41M of RAM for that. Hardly any sluggishness noticed at all ~ which is AWESOME.
    Also, I have witnessed up to 140M in swap usage when surfing multiple websites with 2-3 browser windows open and then closing those, brings the swap usage back down to the 100-110M mark. Ramzswap luckily gives back the RAM it was using for that 140M....so, seems to work nicely in memory management.

Another thought, if this proves to provide long term near peak performance as it has in the past few days. This will become my new method of memory management on my device. Whats even more awesome is, since its pure RAM based w/ no disk backing. SSD usage is MINIMAL! and will prolong our devices SSD storage life..
    Why not pump it up to 192 and see how far it will go stably? (Judging by the worst case compression scenario that would take up at most 96MB).

Or have you already hit an upper limit as far as stability is concerned?
    Why not pump it up to 192 and see how far it will go stably? (Judging by the worst case compression scenario that would take up at most 96MB).

Cuz, havent tried yet LOL! I doubt it will try to fill up the swap. Normal webos doesnt, it throws TMC errors even before swap usage reaches 200MB normally.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    [...]
    Also, I have witnessed up to 140M in swap usage when surfing multiple websites with 2-3 browser windows open and then closing those, brings the swap usage back down to the 100-110M mark. Ramzswap luckily gives back the RAM it was using for that 140M....so, seems to work nicely in memory management.
    Have you tried to fill it up several times? (e.g. by surfing through the calendar). I've noticed a trend of creeping growth of MemUsedTotal despite cleanup.

Another thought, if this proves to provide long term near peak performance as it has in the past few days. This will become my new method of memory management on my device. Whats even more awesome is, since its pure RAM based w/ no disk backing. SSD usage is MINIMAL! and will prolong our devices SSD storage life..
    tell your CPU

Thrashing could become an issue then, meaning slower speed, stability issues and especially shorter battery life. The Pixi has only 190MB of available RAM. IMHO such a high value is very experimental
    Quote Originally Posted by wiwa View Post
    Have you tried to fill it up several times? (e.g. by surfing through the calendar). I've noticed a trend of creeping growth of MemUsedTotal despite cleanup.

tell your CPU

Thrashing could become an issue then, meaning slower speed, stability issues and especially shorter battery life. The Pixi has only 190MB of available RAM. IMHO such a high value is very experimental
    Yes I have tried opening many apps / webpages then closing all and reopening to different things several times. I have indeed noticed memusedtotal creeping up as well, but it seems to cleanup fairly good too.

For me, even though there may be an eventual too much of memusedtotal and not coming back down. The fact remains....I can open and fill up swap and close programs pretty much all day long and system doesnt feel sluggish at all. Compared to using pure disk swap or swap with ramzswap / disk backing.
    When using pure disk swap or ramzswap w/ disk backing...fill up the swap once and your system is like permanently sluggish till a luna restart or full reboot....
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    i have a screenies mine wont run i get this error. im using the exact script

anybody help me out here?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    anybody help me out here?
    you are not alone I am having the exact same problem. I am going tolook at it more and will let you know if I find a way to get it going.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rch4him View Post
    you are not alone I am having the exact same problem. I am going tolook at it more and will let you know if I find a way to get it going.
    thanks bro I look forward to someway to fix this I'm spent hours trying to fix this. I just don't see what the problem could be.
    Look, the error screenshot you've provided is indicative of a malformed character in the script or you maybe have just simply fat-fingered something.

Try running the lines manually within your terminal session on your phone as a troubleshooting step.

Fire up terminal on your phone directly, type in each line one at a time.

In order to to the back quotes required for `uname -r` you'll have to press Gesture + L

Code:
    swapoff -a
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/ramzswap.ko disksize_kb=163840
    swapon /dev/ramzswap0 -p 1
    After you enter in each line followed by pressing enter you should more-a-less get a blank response.

I've also provided a screenshot of me doing this on my phone one line at a time.
    Also as a note, you must have one of the OC kernels installed. The stock kernel doesnt have these kernel modules I believe.

Also if you are using the terminal app and nano to write the script file. For some reason nano auto wraps lines that are too long to fit on screen. So when this happens you must go to the beginning of the line and hit backspace for it to go back to the proper line above it.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    so I tryed running the lines individually and it says the 2nd line xvmalloc.ko can't be found.
    so I tryed running the lines individually and it says the 2nd line xvmalloc.ko can't be found.
    Are you using a "3rd party" kernel? if so, Uberkernel or Warthog?

I'm using Uber, the only other thing I could think of is that your quote character is incorrect for uname -r

So, uname -r is just a shortcut for the kernel path. You can load the same module by doing this:

Code:
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-chuck/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-chuck/extra/ramzswap.ko disksize_kb=163840
    Also you can just dig around and see if the module exists on your phone...
    Code:
    ls /lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-chuck/extra
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    I'm running warthog. I'll dig around when I get home and update this post.

well I just did some diging for the 2.6. And it said it couldn't be found and I tryed the 1st code you gave and it said nothing could be done because it's just a directory.

I think I'm gonna uninstall warthog and install uber maybe if uber runs 849 now?
    a few MHz more cannot be compared to the impact of softswap, I promise you
    I'm running warthog. I'll dig around when I get home and update this post.

well I just did some diging for the 2.6. And it said it couldn't be found and I tryed the 1st code you gave and it said nothing could be done because it's just a directory.

I think I'm gonna uninstall warthog and install uber maybe if uber runs 849 now?
    Well by digging around I mean you can just look around the directory structure.

so...

Code:
    cd /lib/modules
    then

Code:
    ls
    you should see a directory of some sort, likely 2.6.xx-palm-chuck

Code:
    cd 2.6.xx-palm-chuck
    once in the kernel directory...

Code:
    cd extra
    this is the directory with kernel modules

Code:
    ls
    in theory, you should see the module files in question.

I've attached my output from novaterm.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Just uninstalled warthog. and installed uber. tryed running script, get same error.

Ok I did the above on my phones terminal the modules there and everything. But it wont let my access the ramzswap says permission denied.