Page 55 of 64 FirstFirst ... 5455051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1263
Like Tree3Likes
    Testing it on my phone... so far its looking nice and smooth.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wiwa View Post
    Hi,

I used the scripts in this forum to establish a compressed swap area without using the physical disk. Below you can see the scripts. Would it be possible to add it to the Pixi version of Govnah?

softswapon.sh
    Code:
    swapoff -a
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/ramzswap.ko disksize_kb=92160
    sleep 3
    swapon /dev/ramzswap0 -p 1
    90MB is stable for my allday purposes. I was able to freeze my Pixi one time by excessive calendar abuse Normally this doesn't happen.

softswapoff.sh
    Code:
    swapoff -a
    rmmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/ramzswap.ko
    rmmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    swapon /dev/mapper/store-swap -p 1
    Maybe you guys like to test it. With softswap (that's what I call it) big lags are history. You'll trade it for less battery life and some sluggishness when both RAM and swap is full.
    how do you run these?
    Create the script files on your computer, copy it to the media partition of the Pixi, set the eXecute flag to both files via Internalz and then execute them via Terminal. Internalz and Terminal are available from Preware.

I had my first TMC error today :| I had Email, Docviewer and two websites. Closing a card solved the problem. For me it is still worth it.
    Can someone perhaps post a video of their Pixi overclock'd with their favorite settings? I'm curious to see how fast these can really be because when I had one, no matter what I did to overclock it with all different settings, I could never get it to be smooth and not freeze.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    can you post the scripts to change these settings back to normal just incase. im gonna runim now.

and how do u run the script in terminal
    Last edited by giggles; 04/12/2011 at 06:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    can you post the scripts to change these settings back to normal just incase. im gonna runim now.

and how do u run the script in terminal
    In the Terminal, you type /media/internal/softswapon.sh to enable the compcached swap and /media/internal/softswapoff.sh to disable it and go back to swapping to the physical disk.

These commands work only if you copy the two script files from your computer directly to the media partition, not a subdirectory, and if you set the eXecute flag on both files. In case you have a Linux computer you can even set the execute flag on the computer just before copying it to your Pixi.
    Quote Originally Posted by MekkelRichards View Post
    Can someone perhaps post a video of their Pixi [...] I could never get it to be smooth and not freeze.
    How am I to make a vid of my Pixi not freezing?

My settings are:
    - Govnah profile 'OnDemandTcl806'
    - softswap procedure as shown above.

You may want to adjust the pre-build Govnah profile, but expect no big steps IMHO. With the softswap procedure you will not have these 5 seconds freezings anymore. It may have stability issues, where it freezes permanently and needs a restart.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    oh okay, I'll try that now thankyou for the help., well I ran the script but looks like I get a error. I'll post a screenie when I get home
    Last edited by giggles; 04/12/2011 at 10:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiwa View Post
    Hi,

I used the scripts in this forum to establish a compressed swap area without using the physical disk. Below you can see the scripts. Would it be possible to add it to the Pixi version of Govnah?

softswapon.sh
    Code:
    swapoff -a
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/ramzswap.ko disksize_kb=92160
    sleep 3
    swapon /dev/ramzswap0 -p 1
    90MB is stable for my allday purposes. I was able to freeze my Pixi one time by excessive calendar abuse Normally this doesn't happen.

softswapoff.sh
    Code:
    swapoff -a
    rmmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/ramzswap.ko
    rmmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    swapon /dev/mapper/store-swap -p 1
    Maybe you guys like to test it. With softswap (that's what I call it) big lags are history. You'll trade it for less battery life and some sluggishness when both RAM and swap is full.
    Thanks so much for these scripts, I was looking for a way to use strictly a ramzswap and no disk swap, your scripts do exactly that. Im gonna load it up and load the apps and do things in them to see what the ram usage and swap usage statistics look like via cat'n /proc/meminfo and /proc/ramzswap. I love putting the watch commands on those to proc files, so I can get a realtime feel for webos ram / ramz usage.

I typed both these scripts in the terminal program on my device hehe...wee tedious but works.

I hope this works more effeciently than uberkernel's method of using a disk cache as backing to the ramzswap vs using a massive ramzswap with no disk backing cache.
    It will be interesting.

As per my own recent discoveries, its really a waste to run any sort of throttling on the CPU when its OC'd, at least for my usage patterns.

Ive found using performance governor and full time 820mhz, my device performs way faster and still doesnt use that much battery (I dont have many background tasks going hardly ever.
    Ive noticed that the idle power usage of 820mhz vs 122mhz is nearly nill.
    Watching govnah, its a difference on average of only 40mah.
    122mhz idles around 60-80mah usage while 820mhz idle uses 90-120mah.
    On top of that I have a sneaking suspicion that all the frequency switching done by the governors uses a bit of power / cpu cycles as well...that wouldnt otherwise be used when no frequency scaling is taking place.
    hey GenTarkin,

the second script is meant to disable the softswap! You should have typed the first script only
    Posting your analysis of /proc/... would be nice.

I agree to you that the Performance governour makes the most convenient user experience. Still, I decided for Ondemandtcl with a min freq. of 480MHz, because I'm often just reading a text so that the CPU can switch to 480MHz long enough to really save some energy and extend my reading time.
    Small update here: I noticed 90M too small. I could open 5 apps including a full blown webpage and received too many cards error. So, I upped the swap size in the script to 160M. I could open about 10+ apps plus a full webpage or 2 .. before system gave too many cards error. It was still running smoothly too! Very nice!..

UPDATE: again, wow this pure memory based ramzswap is really really nice. I opened tons of apps several times , closed them all, reopened different ones and it seems to be performing the same when pushed to its limits and when its not pushed memory wise.

With anything else before, other than ramzswap totally disabled, when I pushed system to the limit it would be a bit bogged down feeling from there till I did a luna restart(flush the memory a bit)...that seems to no longer happen which is awesome!

I think this hugeass ramzswap has been the answer to performance issues. It was maybe perhaps before that the smaller ramzswap with a backing disk cache was still slow because it would do some things in the disk cache and some in the compressed swap and not so much a spillover basis.

Will update if things change for the worse(hope not) or better =)
    Last edited by GenTarkin; 04/12/2011 at 02:14 PM.
    GenTarkin,

I confess I do not understand well. Is setting a large ramzswap different from using Compcache? I thought the whole point of Compcache was to create a compressed swap-space directly in RAM and not write to disk media.
    So far we got two truths:
    1. raising the total swap size allows for more open cards
    2. raising the total swap size makes the UK clean up the swap less aggressively, letting some uncompressed memory go to waste.

So I guess it is a matter of the right balance. In fact, the Pre's swap partition is 130MB. How about this?

cat /proc/ramzswap throws a 'permission denied'. I wanted to doublecheck the actual compression rate ...
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightomni View Post
    GenTarkin,

I confess I do not understand well. Is setting a large ramzswap different from using Compcache? I thought the whole point of Compcache was to create a compressed swap-space directly in RAM and not write to disk media.
    Compcache = ramzswap + backing disk. In theory it shouldn't be different. But in practice a ramzswap solution without backing disk is faster. I got two reasons:

1. uncompressible swap pages are written to the backing disk. (see documentation of ramzswap)
    2. the swap partition of the Pixi is huge - 210MB (!). Having 210MB available swap size will tell the kernel: swap doesn't need to be cleaned up. So it keeps old useless pages in the swap that finally are pushed to the slow backing disk.
    Thats odd that you get a permission denied =(
    Either way Ive always thought the compression ratio was incredible and now that its storage potential is even greater than before...its still the same, incredible.
    For 110MB of swap size, the compressed size of that reported by cat ramzswap is 40-50MB.
    So for 40-50MB of RAM usage we are able to squeeze even more usable RAM in the form of swap.

The only downfall of ramzswap is I dont think it returns all compressed pages back to RAM when they are no longer needed. So even if your swap usage goes back down to say 80MB(which is like 30-40MB compressed) ramz will still hold that up to 50MB hostage, meaning 10MB of RAM is pretty much useless at that point. But, I have seen ramz actually start to shrink that number down too after a certain amount of time.

Anyways, I have to say this is the hugest "smoothness" improvement my pixi has ever seen is one heck of a massive ramzswap ONLY w/ no backing cache on disk. Mines set at 160MB currently.

Hopefully the coming days are as smooth for it as it is now, will know more when it goes through more normal usage patterns.

Also, Ive added this script to /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh in the form of the line:
    /media/internal/softswapon.sh &
    yeah if it is stable enough then I hope Rwithby will add it to Govnah, for all who don't feel like editing system files.

Update: 90MB definitly isn't enough for rich websites. I had two of those, opening the third would give the TMC error. Using 130MB now.
    Last edited by wiwa; 04/13/2011 at 03:10 AM.
    Yeah I absolutely love this set up, Im still rollin w/ a 160M setting .. pure ramz swap only, no disk backing. I cant believe how this has enhanced the pixi experience.
    Its been going strong for a day now since my last test reboot. Swap usage is around 100-140M depending what apps I open and close and just general use...its as snappy as being on a clean boot. No slower and slower slugginess experienced so far..

Web pages load faster, cpu /memory intensive things are faster. Animations have improved overall (card switching and so forth)...just everything is better.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    i have a screenies mine wont run i get this error. im using the exact script
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    i have a screenies mine wont run i get this error. im using the exact script
    Run this in the terminal application on your phone in the directory where you have the script (/media/internal if I were to guess):

Code:
    cat softswapon.sh
    Look and see if you see any funny trailing characters after each line in the file. This is the issue I had when I copy and pasted the code into Notepad++.

I ended up using novaterm...

Link to Novaterm (Looks like you'll need to download/install the Palm SDK to use):
    Accessing Linux Using Novaterm - WebOS Internals

...to bring up terminal access to the phone and then using vi to create the script files manually. The only pain is that I wasnt able to use my arrow keys to move from line to line. So if I fat-fingered a line, I was forced to redo the entire process again.

I first removed the script files I had orginally created through Notepad++

Code:
    rm softswapon.sh
    Then I fired up vi to create the scripts again.

Code:
    vi softswapon.sh
    From with-in vi
    1. Press insert, this makes the document editable
    2. Enter in your commands line per line
    3. Press escape. This drops you into a command mode.
    4. Type in
    Code:
    :wq
    to write the file and quit vi.

Now you'll need to make the scripts executable

Code:
    chmod 777 softswapon.sh
    Rinse and repeat for softswapoff.sh

Once completed just execute per normal.

Code:
    ./softswapon.sh
    GenTarkin, are you running with overclocking as well?

What ramzswap size are you running to get 160MB effective RAM?

And, should this be broken out into its own thread?