Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4444950515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1263
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Yha I think hp may have abandoned that boat for now because of the investment in the veer which I don't think is to bad. But considering Leo said HP's roadmap is to release a bunch of new hardware who knows.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by giggles View Post
    Im actually hoping to receive my pre 2 shortly but wont be using it for phone use due to my carrier (sprint) and goodluck
    Im actually hoping to receive my pre 2 shortly although at first I wont be using it for phone use due to my carrier (sprint), I picked up a pre - from ebay for $10.... I'm using that as a 2.1.0 dev phone for now....
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfdos.sys View Post
    Im actually hoping to receive my pre 2 shortly although at first I wont be using it for phone use due to my carrier (sprint), I picked up a pre - from ebay for $10.... I'm using that as a 2.1.0 dev phone for now....
    10 dollars? what condition was that puppy in?
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    10 dollars? what condition was that puppy in?
    Oh no doubt its a little beaten... There are two chips out of the top edges... The usb door is missing and its got a few bumps around the edges... But the slider is good... Minimal "oreoing" the screen is good and keyboard works.... Its a grand dev device.
    They have tons of them on auction... Expiring every 8 min... Many selling for up to 20... I didn't want to pay more than 10 because of condition... No charger... No way of really knowing if esn would be good... But then I saw 2 of them from the same seller ending within 2 seconds of each other and gave it a chance.... I won both... The other one went for 12... Its in much better condition but there is a tiny chip near the usb door... I got it primed with 2.1.0 and my moms going to retire her 3rd centro for that. (1
    got lost...2 got washed... 3 is a reform)

I'm using this on airplane mode with wifi on... And turning the data off on my pixi whenever i'm near wifi.... In that way even with using both all day I still had 67% battery on the pre and 56% on the pixi 24 hours later.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Wow, think I might get me one. Thanks for the tip.
    Well am most happy using Ondemandtcl - 320 / 787.2 Mhz, io as anticipatory, compcache - 10 MB and TCP as Westwood..

Min of 320 gives a very good snappy feeling to the phone.. been an Iphone and blackberry user since ages.. trying out palm pixi plus.. Using this setting doesn't make me miss them

But there is one flaw i felt in warthog kernel. on charging.. it gets stuck at a certain speed and the phones gets hotter and hotter.. Dnt know for sure though.

MSM is great for battery saving. but i felt it doesn't throttle the CPU quick enough hence the lag. Maybe we need to change the up threshold of MSM to around 70 - 80%. should give us a genuine snappy feeling.

Moreover, i felt there were many unnecessary process running in the background like palm's backup, etc which needs to be fine tuned to reduce the amount of ram consumption.

Ubuntu Server runs default at 80-85 MB. Webos should be able to similarly given the fact that we have ui.

If we are somehow able to make webos run lean, we should be able to reduce the use of swap space and cpu should be able to cache the instruction much well on the ram. Though this is simply assuming this part of the fine tuning was not done yet.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Using adityaxavier's settings and my att pixi plus is running rather well in the first hour of use. Nothing to report in terms of battery life and long term stability yet.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Does anyone know of a good way to I.D. a leakey app? Jstop doesn't give me enough info. I wish that there was an app that could set a limit on the amount of ram each app can use and when hit it would give you a warning and also tell you if all the memory was freed when closing the app.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Last edited by Rkguy; 03/21/2011 at 03:45 PM.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    I haven't ever had your charging kernel and your settings are pretty common throughout this thread. 70-80% would have alot of unnecessary throttling really and just defeat the purpose of better battery life. But I believe theres is nothing more thats being planned for 1.4.5 kernels they have stopped development. and adit im curious why you are maxed out as 846.
    I haven't ever had your charging kernel and your settings are pretty common throughout this thread. 70-80% would have alot of unnecessary throttling really and just defeat the purpose of better battery life. But I believe theres is nothing more thats being planned for 1.4.5 kernels they have stopped development. and adit im curious why you are maxed out as 846.
    Giggles, well sorry for using settings which are common just wanted to pinpoint certain settings which work well.

You are right, 70-80% would have a lot of unnecessary throttling, but i saw using MSM, the animation was getting choppy and the still the governor wont throttle the CPU, and i was wrong in thinking it would save power as we would be following "Race to Idle" but with voltage scaling also practiced, its not true anymore.

By the way take a look at this site : h t t p ://android.modaco. com/content/commtiva-n700-spice-mi700-viewsonic-viewpad-7-camangi-fm600-n700-modaco-com/332017/kernel-development-for-fm6-variant/]Kernel Development for FM6 Variant - Android @ MoDaCo[/url]
    They have exactly the same CPU and throttling is working wonders there. Maybe something which we can use from there for our 2.1 aswell.

By the way, please tell me what kind of development is needed for Webos 2.1 on the kernel's end. I can try, been making kernels patches for linux for quite some time. Would love to try this too.

"and adit im curious why you are maxed out as 846." dint get that.
  11.    #1071  
    Quote Originally Posted by adityaxavier View Post
    By the way, please tell me what kind of development is needed for Webos 2.1 on the kernel's end. I can try, been making kernels patches for linux for quite some time. Would love to try this too.
    There is no webOS 2.1 available for the Pixi, so no-one's even considered doing a 2.1 kernel for the Pixi.

As for kernel patches for 2.1 on the Pre, you can contact WebOS Internals in the #webos-internals IRC channel on Freenode to contribute there. Our existing kernel patches and build system is at git.webos-internals.org

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12.    #1072  
    By the way take a look at this site : h t t p ://android.modaco. com/content/commtiva-n700-spice-mi700-viewsonic-viewpad-7-camangi-fm600-n700-modaco-com/332017/kernel-development-for-fm6-variant/]Kernel Development for FM6 Variant - Android @ MoDaCo[/url]
    They have exactly the same CPU and throttling is working wonders there. Maybe something which we can use from there for our 2.1 aswell.
    Unfortunately, it seems that posts on sites like that never include a link to the source code of their kernel modifications (something that is actually legally required by the GPL license under which the kernel is distributed).

So not only are they breaking copyright law by redistributing the kernel binary without corresponding source code as required by the software license, they are also preventing anyone else from learning how it is done.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Unfortunately, it seems that posts on sites like that never include a link to the source code of their kernel modifications (something that is actually legally required by the GPL license under which the kernel is distributed).

So not only are they breaking copyright law by redistributing the kernel binary without corresponding source code as required by the software license, they are also preventing anyone else from learning how it is done.

-- Rod
    Just sent him a PM, Hopefully would get the Source Code soon. Would let you guys know of any development.
    Hi Rwhitby,
    Had a talk with TJ Style, he said he would upload his sources soon and would let me know. By the way would this link "w w w .codeaurora.org/gitweb/quic/la/?p=kernel/msm.git;a=summary " help? It seems some of these guys were using this source for their modifications. And the kernel source is for the same CPU.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Giggles, well sorry for using settings which are common just wanted to pinpoint certain settings which work well.

You are right, 70-80% would have a lot of unnecessary throttling, but i saw using MSM, the animation was getting choppy and the still the governor wont throttle the CPU, and i was wrong in thinking it would save power as we would be following "Race to Idle" but with voltage scaling also practiced, its not true anymore.

"and adit im curious why you are maxed out as 846." dint get that.

Sorry for the late response. And its fine that your using common settings lol. And I ment how come you dont have your max mhz to 846. Im running a variation of you settings with 846. I use msm when im going away for extended periods and odtcl for regular use now.
    I tried warthog out and phone seemed unstable so I went back to UK.
    The Kernel Sources are Out :-

h t t p s://github.com/tjstyle/FIH-Kernel

Warthog / UK can get better now !!!

rwhitby : Do take a look at them..
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    The Kernel Sources are Out :-

h t t p s://github.com/tjstyle/FIH-Kernel

Warthog / UK can get better now !!!

rwhitby : Do take a look at them..
    Yes please this looks promising.
    This is amazing. Everything on my Pixi (on Sprint) was already smooth enough, but there was some lag in a game or two so I decided to do this. I just chose a profile that popped up (OnDemandTcl 806). Now it's SUPER smooth!

------------------------------

Quick questions:

Is it a good idea to leave it on this profile 24/7 (pretty much forever)? Also, how often do you guys reboot your phones (Luna and/or device)?
    Hi,

I used the scripts in this forum to establish a compressed swap area without using the physical disk. Below you can see the scripts. Would it be possible to add it to the Pixi version of Govnah?

Script for turning the softswap ON: softswapon.sh
    Code:
    swapoff -a
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/ramzswap.ko disksize_kb=92160
    sleep 3
    swapon /dev/ramzswap0 -p 1
    90MB is stable for my allday purposes. I was able to freeze my Pixi one time by excessive calendar abuse Normally this doesn't happen.

Script for turning it OFF: softswapoff.sh
    Code:
    swapoff -a
    rmmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/ramzswap.ko
    rmmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    swapon /dev/mapper/store-swap -p 1
    Maybe you guys like to test it. With softswap (that's what I call it) big lags are history. You'll trade it for less battery life and some sluggishness when both RAM and swap is full.

EDIT: Compcache must not be enabled in Govnah in order to run these scripts
    EDIT2: 92160 is not enough. I've been using 122880 for couple month now.
    Last edited by wiwa; 06/30/2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: pointed out what the scripts are for.