Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ... 343484950515253545556575863 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1263
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    It's definitely not a placebo effect If u have the correct settings. And after trying different profiles and settings and pros and cons. Msm7k by far gives your the speed you want and you get remarkable battery life. My settings posted previously are perfect. My pixi seems to be a workhorse and can handle any settings what so ever and haven't ever experienced single random restart with the uber or warthog kernels maxed out. But some time trials and playing with multiple pixi kernels and settings the day of the overclock kernel release (like when there was only 600mhz and just compache) that these kernels are very effective and I couldn't use my pixi without them thankyou to everybody at webos internals, rodwhitby and codecrumb especially.
    Last edited by giggles; 03/14/2011 at 11:29 AM.
    I am newbie here, so I appreciate any and everyone's help and insight.

I have had my pixi for about a month now, and I loved the form factor, the UI, and had few complaints about the functionality of WebOS. A friend at work with a Pre mentioned about the overclocking capability and I was intrigued...

Just got uberkernel and Govnah installed today via Web OS quick install, and preware.

I set the following settings

CPU - ondemand 122/806 / 0.2 seconds / up thresh 80% / ignore NICE=fales / bias =0
    Compress Swap - Enabled 24mb
    I/O scheduler CFQ
    TCP Congestion Cubic

Questions -

the pixi definitely seems snappier. But in the course of testing it hard (like opening up a bunch of cards, and using it for 20 minutes straight) I have seen my temperature steadily rise to 45 C and rising (up to 48 C). I do have a usage pattern a times when I do use the pixi hard for stretches of 10-20 minutes. From what I have gathered online, it seems like 45 degrees and above is dangerous territory. What can I do to make sure it doesn't get so hot? Is there any way to force a frequency/voltage backoff when temperature get too high? Any advice on the I/O scheduler setting? Does anyone know the ideal TCP settings for Sprint?

Thanks in advance
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    I believe govnah has built in controls to stop pixi from overheating and there hasn't been any reports of that ever happening. But your pixi does seem its running alittle hot. also Id turn your compache down to 16 or maybe 8. I/O sched possibly anticipatory or deadline. and if your worried about heat turn your max frequency down.
    so Giggles what profile are you running now that is quick and stable? Thinking of trying the msm7k again.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    msm7k

185-849mhz
    compache at 6114 (manual)
    anticipatory
    illinois

Ive been running this for a week and my phone only has a 25-30% avg battery drain after 12 hours of medium use. Weather, Lots of texts, Quick googles or wikipedia and facebook, pre central and engadget checks. I can talk for a good hour straight and get a 25% battery drain or so. Also my sprint pixi dosent freeze up or randomly restart or do i miss calls or texts. Everythings very smooth only time I ever experience lag is having facebook,email,web and messages open and I try and universal search for a contact might take 1-3 seconds. And if you pixi cant handle the 849 speeds i go with 245-(700-750.) prolly scale better anyways and better battery life.
    Last edited by giggles; 03/14/2011 at 11:35 AM.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrkrft View Post
    CPU - ondemand 122/806 / 0.2 seconds / up thresh 80% / ignore NICE=fales / bias =0
    Compress Swap - Enabled 24mb
    I/O scheduler CFQ
    TCP Congestion Cubic

Questions -
    What can I do to make sure it doesn't get so hot?
    I agree with alot of what giggles said. The point here is to make it snappy but decrease heat right? -- we are creating a compromise of increased performance, but not at the expense of heat.... so here is how I propose you could do it:
    1. Increase the min freq up to 245mhz -- helps the "snappy"
    2. Change the compressed swap -- I recommend 8mb I've used that for months, since news came out that HP|Palm will be using 10mb in the new webos 2.x devices, thats what I'm using now. -- again helps the "snappy"
    3. Either decrease the max freq speed down to 787, or try msm7k as the CPU freq option. Msm7k scales the speed of your cpu...(and thus the power consumption and heat) slowly based on usage, while the others use that "up threshold" to watch for cpu activity, and "shoot" the speed up quickly,(eating up more juice and increaseing heat) when it is seen as needed.
    Is there any way to force a frequency/voltage backoff when temperature get too high?
    I don't believe that is currently available on the pixi.
    Any advice on the I/O scheduler setting?
    1. If you want to use any thing but "CFQ" you will also want to install the Unset CFQ patch... because regardless of what you have saved in govnah, your phone will reset to CFQ on reboot if you don't have that installed.
    2. I recommend anticipatory if you are using msm7k as your cpu freq setting
    Does anyone know the ideal TCP settings for Sprint?
    1. You will have to reset this value as well after each boot, since it will revert to cubic after a reboot
    2. I recommend westwood, having read the descriptions of each in govnah using the ? button in the upper right, because it handles large bandwith, random packet loss, and dynamicly changing network loads. It is a modification of the TCP reno.
    Thanks in advance
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    gfdos pretty much has everything right.

and also guys you should get the Preset reset app installed. My phone starts every day at 4am. Refreshes the phone and keeps me from having to restart it on my own. helps your phone function better I promise. I just hit up govnah in the morning and change my TCP setting. And im good to go.
  8. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    on Saturday my phone randomly shut down and I had to pull the battery. Had to do the same thing today. I'm using an old profile back from when the kernel was first released, I think I'll try something newer thats been posted and down the max freq and give it a shot
    I've been running uberkernal for quite sometime now at 806 and its not a placebo effect... anyways I have been happy with my performance and havent checked in here for awhile but I'm not seeing a way to get to 849! What am I missing?
    Do I need to try warthog?
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    yes you need to uninstall uber and install warthog.
    giggles is right. Uninstall uber and install warthog. Make sure to restart.

msm7k gives impressive battery life, I'll give you that. Performance, I haven't decided yet.

tomorrow will tell...
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Haha yha, battery life is reliable and I find the performance sufficient. Tell me how it goes good luck.
    I'm done. I've tried, I really have, but tomorrow I'll be reactivating my Pre Plus and shipping my pixi back to verizon. Sorry guys, I just can't put up with this anymore.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    I'm done. I've tried, I really have, but tomorrow I'll be reactivating my Pre Plus and shipping my pixi back to verizon. Sorry guys, I just can't put up with this anymore.
    Its all good. hopefully new hardware will grace all are hands soon.
    I'm sorry guys. I just placed my order for a Pre 2. I still have 2 pixi's, but I won't be posting much more here. Have fun guys. (and girls)!
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Im actually hoping to receive my pre 2 shortly but wont be using it for phone use due to my carrier (sprint) and goodluck
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    thanks for everyones work here. Put UK on my two wk old plus and found my sweet spot with help from all the recommendations here.
    Thanks giggles, and gfdos.sys!

Will try those recommendations, and post the results. What you said makes sense, thanks again, i appreciate the explanations as well!!!
    Has anyone heard any *reliable* news of a Pixi hardware refresh? That would be my ideal phone...........

I was a little disheartened to see HP release the "Veer" and the Pre 3, but no talk of a Pixi 2... kinda makes me think they are not going to refresh the Pixi.

I just don't care for sliders.........