Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 242474849505152535455565762 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1263
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1021  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    compcache is by no means a webosinternals invention lol. Its just something someone wrote for linux a while back. Sure, webosinternals may have gotten the idea from other cell phone programmers doing it or maybe the idea by itself.

But HP , highly doubt they got the idea from webosinternals. But I may be wrong =P

It would make sense to put it on the newer hardware since, the CPU's in them are extremely capable of the decompression / compression on the fly needed in order to notice an improvement.
    Our CPU's are just too damn slow to notice much of one, other than being able to run more apps at once. The ui lag way worse with any compcache than without.
    It is very true that the compcache kernel module is a well-known upstream invention that existed well before WebOS Internals was even formed. We have been very clear about that ourselves when discussing this revelation, but unfortunately the retelling of the story (as you've seen above) misses the nuances.

But, it is clear from the /etc/event.d/compcache file that the way it is used in a webOS kernel is directly taken from our custom kernel work.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    Pushing 835 right now using ondemandtcl and it's working flawlessly ONLY if I use 'deadline' as the I/O.
    Im trying these settings now. So far, no resets. Applications definitely open faster, but i dont believe the UI is quite as smooth as "anticipatory" seems to be, not really that noticeable (maybe its in my head). Will see about battery life and temp!
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It is very true that the compcache kernel module is a well-known upstream invention that existed well before WebOS Internals was even formed. We have been very clear about that ourselves when discussing this revelation, but unfortunately the retelling of the story (as you've seen above) misses the nuances.

But, it is clear from the /etc/event.d/compcache file that the way it is used in a webOS kernel is directly taken from our custom kernel work.

-- Rod
    This is what I read. So let me again give credit where credit is due: Thank you webosInternals [for your implementation of a well-known upstream invention (that testing has proved worthy of being used in the next version of the webOS we love so well)]. Thank you for the hard work on optimizing this for the ARM architecture -- specifically the ones being used by HP|Palm.

@bradenfontaine
    Sorry you are having troubles with msm7k. As giggles has pointed out, and as you have stated yourself, I find that if my phone is sluggish (ie: missing calls, not ringing for texts) playing around with cutting the cache and increasing the min cpu speed can result in better performance... but as scaling goes... up in "performance"(ie: lower latency -- so it responds and doesnt miss something) comes at the cost of battery life, when increasing cpu speed.
    That said the primary complaint I saw in these forums when suggesting msm7k was that it "didn't scale up fast enough" -- vs my concern with other cpu freq schemes saw action and "jumped" the speed up in spikes when a threshold was reached which is IMHO bad for battery life....
    The whole point of this "exercise/experience" is to play with the settings and find something that improves the experience... we are learning what works for the group and reporting here so that if we do infact find a trend, it can be embraced by the community.

So my next recommendation, braden, would be to try setting the manual option in preferences and play with different compcache settings at 1mb intervals comming down from 8mb and see if they help (4096, 5120, 6144, 7168). Keep in mind to change the compcache size you have to turn it off first, set the size and then turn it back on. I usually power cycle my phone after that too to be sure the memory is "truely" clear.
    Also you said you were using 600-849 msm7k, giggles said she was using 320-849 msm7k, * I* am using 245-849 msm7k. Try using a slower minimum too, that should help a little with battery and heat.
    Tor the longest time I kept the minumum at 122, but I did notice a decent feeling of speed bump with out too much battery drain and heat increase bringing the bottom number up.

Thanks all for reading my ramblings. I know I may seem to "over think" things and type alot, but communication is the whole key of forums, Isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_rsp View Post
    Im trying these settings now. So far, no resets. Applications definitely open faster, but i dont believe the UI is quite as smooth as "anticipatory" seems to be, not really that noticeable (maybe its in my head). Will see about battery life and temp!
    with deadline set I had to disable compcache or else the ui lag was still there & I was missing calls.

I know, as everyone has mentioned before, every one of these wonderful phones are different, and can handle settings differently. I just hope by me posting what is working for me, others will experience the same.

now, I ran 835 all day yesterday with the settings I posted earlier, with ZERO resets and zero issues, heat was well maintained, and everything ran the way it should. Today I'm bumping up to 849 using the EXACT same settings, and will let you know how she does.
    if I can get it to handle 849 @ a stable state then I will start plaing with lower compcache settings. And please, do ramble, that's what this place is for isn't it?
    849 seems to be my breaking point. Will start playing with lower compcache after lunch.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    I've been running the same settings as posted before with 4mb compache I haven't missed calls and everything seems to run somewhat stable sep apps open slightly slower then on regular overclock settings, I'm thinking about changing the compache to 6mb's and battery life has been good when not usiing the phone. About 90 percent after 6 hours of minimal use prolly responding to maybe 40 txt messages. But heavy internet a messaging and forum use right now for 45mins took me down to 73 percent
    I'm only rocking 4mb compcache and I think it's a goat hair slower than without the compcache enabled. Will continue on this setting for the next 18 hours and see what happens.

I'll post my current settings...

Current:

From Service:
    Governor: ondemandtcl
    Scheduler: deadline
    Congestion: cubic
    min freq: 122.88 MHz
    max freq: 835.2 MHz
    sampling rate: 0.2 Sec
    up threshold: 80 %
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0
    max tickle window: 3 Sec
    max floor window: 3 Sec
    compcache enabled: true
    compcache memlimit: 4 MB
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    I think 8mb compache is pretty good for otcl. but not good at all for msm7k. 4mb has been working decent. Im gonna go with 6mb and try and find the sweet spot

ok i got

msm7k

185-849mhz
    compache at 6114 (manual)
    anticipatory
    illinois

Gonna run this for the like 8 hours see battery life and stability.
    Last edited by giggles; 03/02/2011 at 03:23 PM.
    hey giggles how is that working out for you? I couldn't bare the slow uptick in cpu. Don't get me wrong the battery life was amazing, but I'm not going for battery life right now.

using the compcache @ 4mb, I haven't noticed any changes. No faster/slower and I'm running about 1.92mA drain per hour overnight while sitting on my bedside table, GPS WiFi and everything else on and running. I can live with that. I'm sure in airplane mode it would be much lower, but I use my Pixi, so it never sees airplane mode. Will try 6mb and see what comes of it.
    on second thought, I may drop down to 2mb... 6 seems to slow me down ever so slightly.
    nope. The ONLY setting that makes MY pixi run like a champ is the above I posted. No compcache. Deadline I/O. 835mHz. Tops. I've tested every combination I can. So... What now? LoL
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    well my msm7k is running fine and stable with a 24 hour test. Its nice and fast just a smidge slower then on otcl. Battery life is amazing.

msm7k

185-849mhz
    compache at 6114 (manual)
    anticipatory
    illinois
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Given: it was recently posted by unixpsycho that dev on oc kernals for 1.4.5 was at an end... which I understand, now that it is possible to get 2.x on pre-/+.
    Q1oes this apply to the pixi oc scene too since as of now there is no pixi 2.x love?

Given:HP|Palm released the source for the 2.x kernal which is how the oc scene can move on to 2.x for pre-/+/2/3.
    Q2:Would a seperate source release be needed specifically for _the pixi kernal_ in order for oc on pixi 2.x, should a pixi 2.x Doctor ever get released?

Just wondering which stars would have to align for this miracle to happen, while I try to strech out my term in pixi-land until my upgrade credit in June.

I'd also like to thank everyone who has worked with webOSInternals to get the 2.x on pre-/+, so that in a way HP|Palm can focus on the Veer and Pre3... with the hope of getting them out as soon as they can, yet still gives us the chance to get to know and use webos 2.x as they has promised.
    (webOS Internals ... Helping HP keep Palms promises since 20xx lol)
    I know lots of people who are running out of paitence and going to android or Iphone... But I was also encourged this week when I spoke with a non/low tech pre+ user in my office who did make the switch to android and is regreting it... she misses the beauty and simplicity of webos, and couldnt go back because verizon no longer has the pre. She said she hoped they have another webos phone with a little larger screen when her current contract is up. I told her about the pre 3 and she is excited. It was so cool to see. ( I know the pre 2 is available now, but she switched before then, and the pre 3 will be available, I hope, by the time her contract is up )
    I have 3 lines, the first line is due for an upgrade in Nov. And the other two are due beginning of next year. I have some decisions to make... But I just want my pixi + a faster processor in it.
    IBut I just want my pixi + a faster processor in it.
    You and me both.
    I am a new Pixi user and installed PreWare last night; primarily to install UberKernel and Govnah.

I did have a few questions...

After I install UberKernel, do I have to do anything to "enable" it?

I ask, because when I open Govnah and enter the "Advanced Settings" portion of the "Profiles" menu, and then select a "CPU Frequency" it doesn't let me select a "Max Frequency" beyond 600 MHz.

Why is this?

I also noticed that when I tried to make my settings similar to bradenfontaine's posted above, I was unable to set the "Compcache Memlimit" to 4 MB. The lowest value selectable is 8 MB, and when I try to change it to that, I receive a lengthy error that starts "Unable to run command: /sbin/insmod/lib/modules/2.6.24-palm-chuck..."

This is admittedly all over my head, but I was hoping to enter a recommend group of settings posted here and be done with it, but it seems I can't even set my Pixi above 600 MHz at this point, let alone tweak more advanced settings and options.

Any advice or assistance is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Solved my problem by uninstalling and re-installing both. Forum search for the win.
    Last edited by Jimellow; 03/12/2011 at 09:39 AM.
    nice to see you were able to figure it out.

I wouldn't try my settings something just isn't right. I'm going to have to doctor my pixi YET AGAIN. IDK *** is wrong. Things just are not working right. I'm getting so tired of this $%!&.
    nice to see you were able to figure it out.

I wouldn't try my settings something just isn't right. I'm going to have to doctor my pixi YET AGAIN. IDK *** is wrong. Things just are not working right. I'm getting so tired of this $%!&.
    Thanks for the reply.

After trying a few different settings, I noticed anything near 800 MHz caused my Pixi to crash/reboot before I could even save the settings.

Thus, I poked around the forums and found a set posted by Errbin that max out at 600 MHz, which isn't really overclocking, but a few parameters are changed.

It seems that once I set the top end MHz higher, the Pixi was likely to crash/reboot, and after tiring of waiting for it to reboot I opted for the 600 MHz setting for now.
    i am back to palm default.

after testing many many options i believe the placebo-effect has gone. I cant feel any real improvement anymore and i hate it when the pixi is heating up.