Page 41 of 64 FirstFirst ... 31363738394041424344454651 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    I removed the scheduler patch people have been complaining about in warthog-pixi-140. I need people to test and confirm that this "fixes" the sluggishness they were experiencing.

Personally, I'm not convinced that this change is the cause but am willing to try it out.

Make sure you run with anticipatory, default upthreshold and cubic. Make sure you compare apples to apples.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
  2.    #802  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyj View Post
    I've noticed that the Palm Default setting (and all the other default settings) do not have default settings for compcache...they just take the last setting made. Is that right?

Also, when I edit and name a new profile, selecting the original profile actually activates the new one. (i.e. I edit OnDemandTcl 787 and name it Test787 and then whenever I click on OnDemandTcl 787 it actually selects Test787).

Is this Govnah behavior normal?
    None of the default profiles have compcache settings, since it's very much a user-dependent setting.

Govnah displays either (a) the profile which exactly matches your current operating conditions as reported by the kernel, or (b) the first profile that matches the current operating conditions for the subset of conditions that are part of that profile.

Turn on full data display for profiles in your preferences, and you'll see what I mean.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    proc_version: Linux version 2.6.24-palm-chuck (v1.4.5-140@org.webosinternals.kernels.warthog-kernel-pixi) (gcc version 4.2.1 (CodeSourcery Sourcery G++ Lite 2007q3-51)) #2 PREEMPT Tue Jan 25 06:29:42 UTC 2011
    Current:

From Service:
    Governor: ondemandtcl
    Scheduler: cfq
    Congestion: cubic
    min freq: 122.88 MHz
    max freq: 806.4 MHz
    sampling rate: 0.2 Sec
    up threshold: 80 %
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0
    max tickle window: 2 Sec
    max floor window: 2 Sec
    compcache enabled: true
    compcache memlimit: 16 MB

Files:

cpufreq_file
    description "Govnah Settings"

start on stopped finish

script

[ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevBootPanicked`" = "false" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevShutdownClean`" = "true" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m -n com.palm.system last_umount_clean`" = "true" ] || exit 0

echo -n 'ondemandtcl' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo -n '122880' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo -n '600000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo -n '400000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/sampling_rate
    echo -n '80' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/up_threshold
    echo -n '0' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/ignore_nice_load
    echo -n '0' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/powersave_bias
    echo -n '2000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/max_tickle_window
    echo -n '2000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/max_floor_window

end script

compcache_file
    cat: can't open '/var/palm/event.d/org.webosinternals.govnah-compcache': No such file or directory

Profiles:

(67) Palm Default v7
    Governor: userspace
    min freq: 125 MHz
    max freq: 600 MHz
    setspeed: 500 MHz
    (99) OnDemandTcl 806 v11
    max tickle window: 3 Sec
    max floor window: 3 Sec
    (100) OnDemandTcl 787 v11
    max freq: 787.2 MHz
    (101) OnDemandTcl 768 v11
    max freq: 768 MHz
    (102) OnDemandTcl 749 v11
    max freq: 748.8 MHz
    (103) Palm Default v11
    (129) Touchstone
    max freq: 480 MHz
    sampling rate: 1 Sec
    up threshold: 85 %
    compcache enabled: false
    (131) OnDemandTcl 806 v11
    (132) OnDemandTcl 787 v11
    max freq: 787.2 MHz
    (133) OnDemandTcl 768 v11
    max freq: 768 MHz
    (134) OnDemandTcl 749 v11
    max freq: 748.8 MHz
    (135) Palm Default v11
    (138) Apples to Apples
    compcache enabled: true

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi

gotta say, I haven't noticed any of the 'bogging down' perviously seen with Uberkernel. Will continue to monitor.
    Thanks Rod, I see how it works now. (PS, I am new to actually owning a webOS device, and only recently discovered Preware and I can't believe how user-friendly Preware is! Who would have thought 'modding' patching etc could be so easy?)

FYI, I've been running basically a 787.2MHz version of Sketh's settings for about 24hours and the phone runs great:
    65%
    false
    true
    16mb
    Anticipatory
    Cubic

My phone just could not handle 806.4, but 787 works just fine.
    Thanks Rod, I see how it works now. (PS, I am new to actually owning a webOS device, and only recently discovered Preware and I can't believe how user-friendly Preware is! Who would have thought 'modding' patching etc could be so easy?)

FYI, I've been running basically a 787.2MHz version of Sketh's settings for about 24hours and the phone runs great:
    65%
    false
    true
    16mb
    Anticipatory
    Cubic

I'm beginning to wonder if background data syncing might have anything to do with specific factors in stability and battery life.

As for my phone, I have location settings turned off, email sync to once daily and brightness settings to below 50.

Tomorrow I'm going to turn on location settings, crank up the brightness, and push settings. See how that affects the kernel.

65%
    false
    true
    16mb
    Anticipatory
    Cubic

Good choice. Mine can handle 806, but 787 seems to work just as good... plus it keeps it cooler and saves a little bit more juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketh View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if background data syncing might have anything to do with specific factors in stability and battery life.

As for my phone, I have location settings turned off, email sync to once daily and brightness settings to below 50.

Tomorrow I'm going to turn on location settings, crank up the brightness, and push settings. See how that affects the kernel.
    This is why I've started cranking up my Up Threshold higher and higher.

I've got the Facebook Chat Spoof patch, and when it's active, 787 MHz && 85% Up Threshold seem to work best. There's a slight amount of lag sometimes, but I think it'll produce the best battery life for me.
    P.S. - Is there any other way to clear swap besides disabling or enabling compcache??

Does hitting that on/off trigger for compcache just issue a sequence of commands like "swapoff; swapon; ...."?
  8.    #808  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    P.S. - Is there any other way to clear swap besides disabling or enabling compcache??

Does hitting that on/off trigger for compcache just issue a sequence of commands like "swapoff; swapon; ...."?
    To load and unload the compcache kernel module, swap needs to be disabled and then re-enabled.

-- Rod
    grndslm and bradleyj (and others who dont wanna run 806) are you guys on sprint? i cant run 806 and im on sprint. sketh and errban what are you guys on?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    To load and unload the compcache kernel module, swap needs to be disabled and then re-enabled.

-- Rod

I actually have mode switcher running with a profile specifically for the touchstone. When its on the touchstone govnah switches over to a lower clocked setting NOT running compcache. And reverts back to my faster settings when its removed from the touchstone. Keeps the swap from bogging down. Also preset reset runs every morning @ 5:55am to help clear out any leaks. Thinking of running jstop as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    grndslm and bradleyj (and others who dont wanna run 806) are you guys on sprint? i cant run 806 and im on sprint. sketh and errban what are you guys on?
    Yes, I'm on Sprint. Phone has a warranty date of 10/26/2010.

It runs the 806 kernel just fine... but I don't see any real advantage over 787, to be honest. Attempting to watch a video @ 806, with other stuff going on in the background as well (facebook chat) can pretty easily get the temps above 50 C. I don't want that. I don't want wasted milliamps, either.

787 MHz & 85% up threshold has been treating me fairly well for half a day now. That's the longest I've stuck with any one profile, so I'm happy now. Will have to run some more stress tests tomorrow and might just have to think about giving up Facebook Chat, as awesome as it initially seems... and dropping down to 65% to 80% Up Threshold.

More than likely I'll just have a few profiles set up for different purposes, like this guy down below . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    I actually have mode switcher running with a profile specifically for the touchstone. When its on the touchstone govnah switches over to a lower clocked setting NOT running compcache. And reverts back to my faster settings when its removed from the touchstone. Keeps the swap from bogging down. Also preset reset runs every morning @ 5:55am to help clear out any leaks. Thinking of running jstop as well...
    Very clean.

Just ordered a touchstone back, so I'll likely configure something like this. I don't know if preset reset would really be all that beneficial if you're clearing out the swap every time you pick the phone up off the touchstone.
    I usually leave it on the touchstone till I get up around 6am, but, I don't usually have to charge it every night either, hence the reset.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts

I'm on Sprint and I run

Scheduler: Anticipatory
    Congestion: Westwood
    sampling rate: 0.1 Sec
    up threshold: 75 %

with ZERO problems, but then again I don't watch videos, play video games,
    text, and facebook chat at the same time so I don't have any issues with temperature
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by errbin View Post
    I'm on Sprint and I run

text, and facebook chat at the same time so I don't have any issues with temperature
    your setting is so fast as hell. Tks, i'm testing with my palm pixi plus

I'm on Verizon, still using the same profile I posted on page 35 or 36. To me 65% seems like the sweet spot.
    using the updated warthog kernel codecrumb posted a while back. working miracles on my end.
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
    let me be more specific. my wifes pixi is running uberkernel, mine is running warthog.

mine loads google maps, youtube, and just the launcher page, much faster, smoother, and consistently. i dont have any detailed specs, i dont have any fancy timers or whatever. but it works.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    let me be more specific. my wifes pixi is running uberkernel, mine is running warthog.

mine loads google maps, youtube, and just the launcher page, much faster, smoother, and consistently. i dont have any detailed specs, i dont have any fancy timers or whatever. but it works.

So all the advice and setting you have been posting are for the warthogkernel???

here I was flipping out when they didn't work on my uberkernel
    So all the advice and setting you have been posting are for the warthogkernel???

here I was flipping out when they didn't work on my uberkernel

seems to me the different Sched params codecrumb changed seem to be making a difference.
    these have worked for me perfectly!
    thanks! and I also have a sprint pixi.

I'm on Sprint and I run

these have worked for me perfectly (:
    thank you and I also have a sprint pixi.