Page 39 of 64 FirstFirst ... 29343536373839404142434449 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketh View Post
    I feel like I say this every other post, but you may want to doctor your pixi and then re try. If that doesn't fix it then you've for certain got a hardware issue bringing you down. Which wouldn't be fun.
    hi Sketh,

Thanks for being helpful, even if you have to repeat yourself. I think I will doctor my pixi (i've never done that before and i bought it used), and then i'll give overclocking another shot. What do you think is the likely-hood of a person bricking their phone doing this? Of course it is a risk, but will the phone shut itself off before it could really suffer damage?
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleyj View Post
    hi Sketh,

Thanks for being helpful, even if you have to repeat yourself. I think I will doctor my pixi (i've never done that before and i bought it used), and then i'll give overclocking another shot. What do you think is the likely-hood of a person bricking their phone doing this? Of course it is a risk, but will the phone shut itself off before it could really suffer damage?
    WebOS Doctor is used to restore bricked Palm phones, technically, so you're absolutely safe there. It's straight from Palm, so no worries.

As for Overclocking, if that's what you mean, thousands of people overclock their phones, Android, WebOS, etc, all the time and I've not once heard of it ruining a phone. Of course it's possible, but that's the risk you take, but in all practicalness you're safe. That's why this kernel has been tested so much before being released to the public feeds.

I hope it works out for you, my love for my Pixi multiplied once I overclocked it.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    I can set profiles, but when I turned on the 16mb compcache it froze almost instantly. I only tried that once, so i don't know that it would do that every time.

As far as my cpu being bad, i don't know. But errbin said 16mb did the same thing to his Pixi...it seems every phone is different as far as what it will handle.

EDIT: Actually, I wonder if you might be right that my CPU isn't good for overclocking. I just found it shut down and I had to pull the battery to turn it back on, so I suppose my latest settings didn't work either. I am a little scared to continue, I don't want to brick my Pixi. I suppose maybe I should go back to the stock kernel and just live with my Pixi as is.

Not sure why but my pixi kind of flipped out when I first overclocked it
    passed 600MHz and keeping the compcache on and set to 24Mb
    was the only thing that helped but after a while
    my Pixi settled down (got used to being overclocked)

right now I'm running

Governor: ondemandtcl
    Scheduler: Anticipatory
    Congestion: Westwood
    min freq: 122.88 MHz
    max freq: 806.4 MHz
    sampling rate: 0.1 Sec
    up threshold: 60 %
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0
    max tickle window: 3 Sec
    max floor window: 3 Sec
    compcache enabled: false
    compcache memlimit: 16 MB

with ZERO problems... so just give it about 4-5 days then try messing
    with the settings

I have a userspace setting
    min freq 600MHz
    max freq 806.4MHZ
    setspeed 806.4MHz
    compcache enabled: false
    compcache memlimit: 16 MB

that I really like but I only use with charger near by
    Quote Originally Posted by derekjakes View Post
    Folks, I need help locating Uberkernel.
    I have Preware & Govnah installed (both are latest version), but can't find Uberkernel anywhere. When I go to the "All Available Applications" & type in "Uberkernel", "Govnah" is the only thing that pops up. What am I missing??? Appreciate any help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkr View Post
    did you add the testing feeds to preware?

Added testing feeds (thx for the advice), but still nothing. Anyone else have any ideas why I can't locate the Uberkernel. Thx.
  5.    #765  
    Added testing feeds (thx for the advice), but still nothing. Anyone else have any ideas why I can't locate the Uberkernel. Thx.
    UberKernel is in the default public feeds for both Pre and Pixi running webOS 1.4.5 - you should find it in your default install of Preware. You do not need to add any additional feeds (testing or otherwise) to access the public releases of UberKernel for the Pre or Pixi.

The latest public release of Preware is 1.5.0 - make sure you are running at least that version, or a newer testing version.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    EDIT: Actually, I wonder if you might be right that my CPU isn't good for overclocking. I just found it shut down and I had to pull the battery to turn it back on, so I suppose my latest settings didn't work either. I am a little scared to continue, I don't want to brick my Pixi. I suppose maybe I should go back to the stock kernel and just live with my Pixi as is.
    I also had problems with any profile that had it clocked at 806mhz.
    But so far i've been able to run clocked in at 787mhz or lower. So if after you Doctor your phone and the 806 profiles still don't work, try the lower ones. Haven't had one reboot since.

btw i have a sprint pixi
    Do you have your Preware configured to only update feeds "Manually Only?"

It's possible when it is loading feeds, it is not updating them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    UberKernel is in the default public feeds for both Pre and Pixi running webOS 1.4.5 - you should find it in your default install of Preware. You do not need to add any additional feeds (testing or otherwise) to access the public releases of UberKernel for the Pre or Pixi.

The latest public release of Preware is 1.5.0 - make sure you are running at least that version, or a newer testing version.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketh View Post
    Do you have your Preware configured to only update feeds "Manually Only?"

It's possible when it is loading feeds, it is not updating them.
    I'm an *****. I was doing my search under "All Applications", not at the startup screen. Thx for your help.
    Thank you so much WebOS internals. My Pixi needed this. If I had money I would donate but I'm broke right now. When I get some money I will gladly support your efforts.
    Here's my favorite settings so far, but I haven't used it for half a day so far, sooooo...

Congestion: Reno
    min freq: 480 MHz
    sampling rate: 0.2 Sec
    up threshold: 40 %
    compcache enabled: true
    compcache memlimit: 48 MB

.... it'd be great if I actually understood what "up threshold" and "max tickle/floor windows" are, tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Here's my favorite settings so far, but I haven't used it for half a day so far, sooooo...

Congestion: Reno
    min freq: 480 MHz
    up threshold: 40 %

.... it'd be great if I actually understood what "up threshold" and "max tickle/floor windows" are, tho.
    right there with you on the windows... No idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by webos-internals
    up_threshold - This defines what the average CPU usage between the samplings of 'sampling_rate' needs to be for the kernel to make a decision on whether or not it should increase the frequency. For example when it is set to its default value of '80' it means that between the checking intervals the CPU needs to be on average more than 80% in use to then decide that the CPU frequency needs to be increased.
    So what about max tickle window && max floor window??

And is there any more info on the various TCP congestion algorithms or whatever they're called...????
    you do know about the question mark icon in the upper corner right? Go into govnah settings, hit the blue '?' and then hit whatever you want to know about. Everything has an awesome description... Except for the 'max - min' tickle floor window things...
    I'd read about that a few times, but never really had an "active" learning experience where I put it into action.

Soo... I should be able to finalize my profile as soon as I figure out what these max tickle/floor windows are.
    with your 'up threshold' that low, does the clock speed ever come down when idle?
    I've been using these setting since the OVERCLOCK Kernel was Realsed.

NAME: Sakura
    ondemandtcl
    Min freq:245.76 MHz
    Max freq:806.4 MHz
    Sampling rate:0.1 Sec
    Up threshold: 80%
    Power save bias: 0
    Comp ache enabled: true
    Comp cache memlimit : 24

I'm not going to lie the battery life is exetermly DECENT I have been using default palm settings before with brightness turned down below 15% at all times and the Battery life with this new setting is very nice especially with the speed boast. ENJOY !
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    with your 'up threshold' that low, does the clock speed ever come down when idle?
    It did when I had the min clock speed set to 480....

Now that I understand what the up threshold is... I realized that leaving it at 80 was probly causing the lag when I set the min clock speed to 122.

Soo... I was able to lower the min clock speed back down to 122, and test th up threshold some more. Even at 122, I still like up threshold no higher than 60.

So here's my new settings...

Congestion: Veno
    min freq: 122.88 MHz
    up threshold: 60 %
    max tickle window: 2 Sec

Veno just sounded better for "wireless" TCP congestion... but I'm not sure if TCP congestion has the same meaning when referring to CPU features??

I think that somewhere between 45 to 55 % up threshold was the hotspot for me about an hour ago. 50% was consistently @ 122 MHz when idle. Now 60% is the hotspot, and 55% will hardly even idle at 122 for very long. Just kinda depends on what you've got going on in the background, I guess... and whether you're shooting for battery life or "torque".
    Quote Originally Posted by boyer61 View Post
    I'll just wait for it to come out in preware. lol I cant figure out how to memboot.
    Good call. I still have to install PreWare! This may be the "killer app" that "forces" me to install it...
    What settings are recommended at 800mHz that will keep the same battery life i have now without using uberkernal? (if i can get the same battery life?, i usually get from a full day to a day and a half sepending on how much i use)
    Quote Originally Posted by foppinanrockin View Post
    What settings are recommended at 800mHz that will keep the same battery life i have now without using uberkernal? (if i can get the same battery life?, i usually get from a full day to a day and a half sepending on how much i use)
    to get to 800mhz. u need to download and install uberkernel and govnah via preware.
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer