Page 33 of 64 FirstFirst ... 23282930313233343536373843 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    My stats are the same. But battery drain is a good bit. At one point i was draining 541mhz an hour, with just Dr. Battery, Govnah and facebook open!
    Sorry, I can't post you the "generate email" because I don't have my phone right here but Warthog with stock params made THE phone I've ever wanted ! Incredibly smooth with low battery comsuption...and I don't run at 800MHz ! Only 787Max 128Min with 24Mb Compcache and ondemanctl...that's perfect !
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Hello all,

I know I'm "late" to the party and have been quiet while all of you have been vocal in working on this, but I've been watching and overclocking with you all since the inception of this thread.

I've always gone with Stock "Palm Default" profile in Govnah, and changed only one thing at a time.... Mostly just changed the Maxspeed and left all other settings alone. Never saw a "Huge" slowdown to the UI with overclocking, and only really noticed any speed advantage when multitasking like when running Preware, while updating feeds, and a game app at the same time.... (since updating feeds takes FOREVER..... )

I did also notice I could reproduce what everyone was reporting -- when going from a faster profile down to the Palm Default -- painfully slow EVERYWHERE... I am convinced that the Pixi HATES 600mhz. ESPECIALLY the trip upto 600 and down from it.... Faster and even slower speeds SEEM faster than 600mhz.... and someone posting it just agrees with what I was experiencing.

All that said, I have had nothing new to contribute to the discussion until now.... I know what you are all trying now with sched parameter changes and all but I haven't felt entirely comfortable with that path yet, but I do want to share something I found that DOES make my Sprint Pixi "feel" faster.

Below I will share what I've done so far, and what my findings are... you are all welcome to agree or disagree baised on your personal experience.

I was reading the posts about tickling floors, Compressed Swap: none 16 or 24, Which IO/Scheduler to use, Which TCP Congestion method to use.... ed nauseum.... I firmly believe in taking things very slow and clean boot with one change at a time....

-=-
    That all said, I will tell you the hardest part about doing all of this is that I have yet to find (READ: I OBVIOUSLY HAVEN'T LOOKED HARD ENOUGH) a tomb of knowledge to tell what each of these "profiles" DOES... so whats the real difference between noop and anticipatory? what is westwood? I don't REALLY know WHAT these things DO... and usually before I mess with something, I like to know WHAT something does....

UPDATE: Thanks bradenfontaine for noticing: (forums.precentral.net / palm-pixi / 265430-experimental-pixi-overclocking-39.html#post2836257)
    the question mark icon in the upper corner right? Go into govnah settings, hit the blue '?' and then hit whatever you want to know about. Everything has an awesome description... Except for the 'max - min' tickle floor window things...

I digress... I decided on the good old fashioned trial and error method... and below I will document my "feelings" about what I tried, and then but the concrete numbers on the line at the bottom....

I/O scheduler: I read here in this thread someone saying noop is supposed to be better for Flash(SSD). I've always used the default "cfq" so I use that as my point of reference.....
    I saw little difference with noop, but some small lag in some tasks that I didnt notice when using cfq (but never was really looking for either).
    Anticipatory seemed a little snappier, except sometimes I would get HUGE lag... probably (by name definition) when I was doing something not anticipated.
    Deadline felt no different, except when multi tasking: preware feeds + game + phone call comes in..... couldn't answer the phone in time because everything "went out to lunch".... waiting resolved, but not feasable, need to be able to answer calls.
    So at the end of that all, I'm left back at the control -- I'm using cfq.

TCP congestion: I'm using cubic... I saw that recommended by codecrumb, it was the default, and I have done no testing on it... my guess is by its very name that I would want to do lots of "data heavy" stuff to test it, with all the different named options and no "consistant data stream" to test with, I haven't done any further testing with this option.

Compressed swap: When it came out I went with the default 16mb. I have a Sprint Pixi, I dont know if you Pixi plus people have more memory or something.... but when I tried going up to 24mb, but it felt slugish in places.... 16mb felt faster.
    My practical test on this was, that I was determined to go through the ENTIRE catalog in preware and find ANY program that seemed interesting to me and test it.... some 5000 titles in all at the time.... and when you got down around 3000+ titles into the list, I was getting "Too many cards" errors all over the place.... all while running JUST preware.
    The breakthrough I had on this was when I opened Preware with Airplane mode on once by accident, and didnt update the feeds.... I could get much further down the list with no errors.... but I also got no Icons for apps, and had to click on each app and read the descriptions..... as soon as I turned data back on.... it would try to load all the Icons near my position in the list.... and that would fill the memory quickly, and BAM.... Compressed swap was my friend....
    All that to reiterate, that 16mb of Compressed swap felt better than 24mb... and definately better than no Compressed swap at all.

CPU freq: as I mentioned above... I just left the stock, ondemandtcl, and changed only the scaling max freq.... 768...787...806. Everyone posting about how they got a better score on benchmark, but no way to tell if it was really faster because of UI lag...blah blah blah... I just wanted simplicity, but the operations seemed faster to me especially when multitasking, with overclocking so I stuck with it.....

As soon as I choose powersave, my whole device slows to a crawl, and I haven't even done anything else yet. The pulldown is sluggish to return to even let me choose another option... and closing Govnah and relaunching.... ugg forever and a day... so I didn't go any further with that.

Conservative gave some ui lag, changing once again only the MAX speed not messing with sampling or thresholds or steps.

ondemand didnt feel much different than ondemandtcl.

Then I tried msm7k, any stigma I initialy had by seeing the prefix "ms" immediately went away.... I don't know what it is or what it does but it feels fast.... ui lag has gone.... I see some occasionally when I am in preware doing an update while running a game while having the calendar open, and then looking through the app icons... but still less ui lag than with ondemandtcl and doing the same thing.
    UPDATE: more info on msm7k in post 836 here: (forums.precentral.net / palm-pixi / 265430-experimental-pixi-overclocking-42.html#post2841526)

-=-
    Below is my Govnah support email with some of the advanced info that has been being asked for in the recent posts... for your reference.

The next thing I'm thinking on changing, is based on some reading I've been doing here. Now I read all that stuff about "race to idle" and so I've always left the scaling MIN at 128mhz.... I recently read an article about pre 2 using 300mhz as the scaling MIN, so that is what I plan to test next, however I'm just going to enjoy the speed of the settings I'm using now for a few days first, since it seems to be running so nice.

I'd love to have others try this and tell me if they feel the same about it that I do... that it feels faster with less UI lag.... especially when multi tasking.

Thanks for everything and for taking the time to read my musings,
    gfdos.sys

Here's my data:
    Kernel: Warthog
    Average WebOSMark Score: 313
    Dev Mode: Always On
    Amount of Usage: Medium
    Percent Battery Used: N/A
    Use of Multitasking: Preware uploading feeds plus Sorority Life, Phone, Calendar, Messaging, Email and Web open when needed.
    Smoothness of Transitions: Occasional Icon "horizontal ripping"
    Specific Phone Model: Sprint Pixi
    Patches installed:
    4x4 icons v4 No Arrows Plus More
    Add Date - MM/DD/YY
    Add Open URL Menu Option
    Device Menu Maxed Out Ultra
    Disable LED Notifications for Email
    Disable LightBar
    Enable Call Forwarding
    Enable Landscape Messaging
    Enable Landscape PDF Viewer
    Enable Landscape YouTube
    Hide Amazon MP3 App
    Hide Nascar App
    Hide NFL App
    Launch Brightness Unlinked on Luna Boot
    Match State to Area Code
    Mega Mix
    New Card Button
    New Card per Convo
    Raise Image Resolution Limit
    Reduce Drag Radius 8px
    Remove Dropped Packet Logging
    Ringtone for Unknown Callers
    Screen Off When Removed from Charger
    Smaller Bookmarks Icons
    Unhide Dev Mode Icon
    Unthrottle Download Manager
    NOTE: I have 6 full screens of programs (4x4) so ui lag is very evident if there is some....lots of scrolling possible.

Generate Email:
    proc_version: Linux version 2.6.24-palm-chuck (v1.4.5-133@org.webosinternals.kernels.warthog-kernel-pixi) (gcc version 4.2.1 (CodeSourcery Sourcery G++ Lite 2007q3-51)) #2 PREEMPT Sat Nov 20 06:29:54 UTC 2010
    Current:

From Service:
    Governor: msm7k
    Scheduler: cfq
    Congestion: cubic
    min freq: 122.88 MHz
    max freq: 806.4 MHz
    compcache enabled: true
    compcache memlimit: 16 MB

Files:

cpufreq_file
    description "Govnah Settings"

start on stopped finish

script

[ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevBootPanicked`" = "false" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevShutdownClean`" = "true" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m -n com.palm.system last_umount_clean`" = "true" ] || exit 0

echo -n 'msm7k' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo -n '122880' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo -n '806400' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

end script

compcache_file
    description "Govnah CompCache Configuration"

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

script

[ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevBootPanicked`" = "false" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevShutdownClean`" = "true" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m -n com.palm.system last_umount_clean`" = "true" ] || exit 0

swapoff -a
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/ramzswap.ko memlimit_kb=16384 backing_swap=/dev/mapper/store-swap
    sleep 3
    swapon /dev/ramzswap0 -p 1

end script

Profiles:

(1) Warthog 768
    Governor: ondemandtcl
    max freq: 768 MHz
    sampling rate: 0.2 Sec
    up threshold: 80 %
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0
    max tickle window: 3 Sec
    max floor window: 3 Sec
    (2) Warthog 787
    max freq: 787.2 MHz
    (3) Palm Default v7
    max freq: 600 MHz
    (4) Warthog 806
    (5) Warthog 806 + msm7k
    (6) Warthog 806/300 + msm7k
    min freq: 300 MHz
    Last edited by gfdos.sys; 01/28/2011 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Update with info from post 774 and info about msm7k in post 836
    Right then...

Right, well I believe we've gathered some useful data from Test 1. We've determined that Gen's sched mod makes Warthog run much smoother, and that VZW Pixis don't handle 800mhz well. I'd say that's a good result, but from here we need to work out exactly why VZW Pixi dislikes higher clock speeds.

As to what else we do next- I'm open to suggestions. What do the rest of the testers think? We can continue Test 1 and see if we can glean any more useful data, or we can start working on other areas, such as testing Uber and Warthog with Uber sched parameters.
    We also need to delegate some people with hardware knowledge/research ability to finding out if there are any differences between the Spring and Verizon pixi radios. A good place to start would be teardown pictures, if we can find any. Can we get some volunteers?

On a final note, does anyone here have regular contact with Rod or codecrumb? I sent a Tweet to them both asking for feedback earlier, but I haven't had a response as of yet and they haven't posted in here for a while. I'm not entirely sure exactly what we have to accomplish in order to get the overclock-capable kernel into public feeds, but with any luck we can get them to elaborate.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I personally think my VZW Pixi plus handles 806 mhZ very well
    I'm busy with work and playing with webos 2.0.

Now, if someone generates the diff for the stock sched params, I'll look at making a release with said params although personally I think it's still a placebo effect. In other words, spell out the params in question as it has been quite a while since I looked at this.

Has anyone done testing using UK with stock and warthog sched params?
    Hmm, i presume you're using the sched mod, boyer? Perhaps it depends on the individual pixi... Way back during the original Pre overclocking (yay smartreflex :P) there were a few issues with phones being 'weak' and some that were unable to handle even an initial 600mhz overclock without instability, though that seems to have been fixed by now. Hmm. I presume that was a matter of optimizing the kernel, or somesuch thing?

And codecrumb, right. The parameters are as follows:

kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns = 4000000
    kernel.sched_latency_ns = 20000000
    kernel.sched_wakeup_granularity_ns = 10000000
    kernel.sched_batch_wakeup_granularity_ns = 10000000
    kernel.sched_child_runs_first = 1
    kernel.sched_features = 7
    kernel.sched_migration_cost = 500000
    kernel.sched_compat_yield = 0

As opposed to being a placebo i think it's a matter of individual phones. Your phone may not have any differences (if indeed, you have tested it) but mine is very noticeable, as are a few others'.

And those were the planned further tests- i'm waiting to see what the other testers think.
    ShiftyAxel,

those are the desired settings right? Let me check my Pixi when I find some time.
    They are indeed, they're the ones I've had people run as part of the test, and are my everyday use params.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I am using those settings, and they are much smoother changing the launcher pages
    so today i doctored my device and when i tried to re-install warthog its not letting me overclock at all?
    is anyone else experiencing this?
    That sounds very odd... What was your exact process?

And has anyone here had the opportunity to try a stock pixi and compare it with their overclocked one? I did some updates to my mother's stock one (no warthog, no govnah) and the UI seemed much smoother than my overclocked one. It may be the fact that I'm running facebook, bad kitty, newsroom and messages constantly or something though. I did try turning compcache off, which yielded a small performance boost. I think.
    my verizon pixi works fine with the 806.4 MHz setting, idles around 25C with much lower battery drain than stock or UK

and no changes to the warthog parameters

proc_version: Linux version 2.6.24-palm-chuck (v1.4.5-133@org.webosinternals.kernels.warthog-kernel-pixi) (gcc version 4.2.1 (CodeSourcery Sourcery G++ Lite 2007q3-51)) #2 PREEMPT Sat Nov 20 06:29:54 UTC 2010
    Current:

From Service:
    Scheduler: anticipatory
    up threshold: 60 %
    compcache enabled: false

Files:

cpufreq_file

start on stopped finish

script

echo -n 'ondemandtcl' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo -n '122880' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo -n '806400' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo -n '200000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/sampling_rate
    echo -n '60' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/up_threshold
    echo -n '0' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/ignore_nice_load
    echo -n '0' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/powersave_bias
    echo -n '3000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/max_tickle_window
    echo -n '3000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/max_floor_window

end script

compcache_file
    cat: can't open '/var/palm/event.d/org.webosinternals.govnah-compcache': No such file or directory

Profiles:

(8) No compcache
    compcache enabled: false
    (9) 16 MB
    (10) Fixed Speed 600 v7
    Governor: performance
    min freq: 600 MHz
    (11) Palm Default v7
    ShiftyAxel,

"I think" is not a useful data point.

Repeatable video would be useful.
    I have not posted here in awhile but I believe this overclocking of the PIXI is 100% placebo. Just based on my personal experience and multiple side by side comparisons.
    You can post the highest Webos score all you want but that does not make it any faster. I do GREATLY appreciate all the work that has been put into these kernels and have donated multiple times.
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Pepperdanky, I urge you to try out Gen's sched modification. A fair few people (myself included) have noticed greater UI smoothness from it.

Codecrumb, I believe the comcache fiddling I did yesterday was a placebo if anything. I don't think I have any video recording equipment around here, but if I can find any I'll do a side-by-side between my and my mother's pixis, to show the UI smoothness differences.

And Stu, what basis exactly do you have to make such a claim? Not only do higher WebOSMark scores mean a measurable, unquestionable increase in CPU calculating speed/power, but the phone being noticeably snappier and more efficient in every case is extremely strong evidence that the overclock is not a "placebo effect", but an actual increase in CPU speed.
    If you want a smoother, faster user interface, wait for WebOS 2.0. Until then, I suggest you don't belittle the efforts of the people that work hard to get this overclocking kernel ready for public feeds.
    A little update for you guys, that comparison video:

I think you may be right, codecrumb. Using stock sched, the warthog's launcher is just as smooth as a stock phone.

EDIT: On another note, shall I do a Warthog standard vs Warthog w/sched mod video?
    Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 12/22/2010 at 01:24 PM.
    Kernel: Warthog w/ Stock Parms @ 787.2 mhz
    Amount of Usage: Medium
    Percent Battery Used: 65%
    Use of Multitasking: Govnah was only card always open. Opened apps as I needed them. Occasionally several cards were open at a time.
    Smoothness of Transitions: Smooth, occasional hiccup switching pages in launcher.
    Specific Phone Model: VZW Pixi Plus
    Patches installed:
    4x4 Icons v5
    Add Date - MM/DD
    Add Space Between Snooze and Dismiss
    Alarm Daily Options
    Battery Icon and Percent
    Charging Alert Vibrate Only
    Default to Month View
    Enable Add/Delete Pages
    Enable Verizon aGPS
    Fahrenheit Temp with Battery in Device Menu
    Gesture Click Open in New Card
    GPS Icon on Top Bar
    Improved Photo Naming Pixi
    Limited Emergency Button
    Named Pages in Launcher
    New Card Per Convo
    No Airplane Mode
    No Auto-Answer Upon Touchstone Removal
    Notification Repeat (Missed Call and Txt)
    PDF Redux
    Select Alert and Notification Tones
    SMS Icon for Mobile Numbers Only
    SMS Vibrate for 5 seconds
    Timestamps Clean
    Unthrottle Download Manager
    Notes: It seems my Pixi + likes 787.2 mhz with a min freq of 245.76 mhz. It's almost like a different phone from day to day though. One day it will like one setting and the next reject it. This profile seems to be the most consistent from day to day - ran it for 3 days. I'm playing with some settings for 806 mhz to see if I can get some stability. I'll post those in a day or 2

Current:
    From Service:
    Scheduler: cfq
    min freq: 245.76 MHz
    compcache memlimit: 24 MB

Files:
    cpufreq_file

start on stopped finish

script

echo -n 'ondemandtcl' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo -n '245760' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo -n '787200' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo -n '200000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/sampling_rate
    echo -n '80' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/up_threshold
    echo -n '0' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/ignore_nice_load
    echo -n '0' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/powersave_bias
    echo -n '3000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/max_tickle_window
    echo -n '3000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/max_floor_window

end script

compcache_file
    description "Govnah CompCache Configuration"

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

script

swapoff -a
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/ramzswap.ko memlimit_kb=24576 backing_swap=/dev/mapper/store-swap
    sleep 3
    swapon /dev/ramzswap0 -p 1

end script

Profiles:
    (1) Fixed Speed 600 v7
    Governor: performance
    min freq: 600 MHz
    (2) Palm Default v7
    (3) Pixi Overclocking Test 1
    (6) 787
    (11) 787 Tweaked
    min freq: 245.76 MHz
    Shifty, please reread my post as I would never belittle anyone on this forum! I appreciate all efforts by any developer. As i said I have donated and have been very vocal in this forum to overclock the pixi. Your video did not open any apps. Email, calendar, sms, contacts, angry birds all open about the same from MY side by side experiment. Again, please re read my post and do not try to talk down to me based on my opinion.
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    first of all merry christmas to all. I played some with 806 mhz and was unable to find any stable settings. I haven't exhausted all options yet however. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a weak phone. I plan on doing some more testing after the holidays though. But for now I'm sticking to my settings from my last report - they really seem to work quite well on this phone.