Page 28 of 64 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Hm, would you elaborate on how to do that? I presume it involves fiddling with system files, though i'm perfectly happy to do that.
    Yeah, I mentioned how to do that about 10 pages or so back in thread but will say on here again how to do.
    Install stock kernel, then load up the terminal app.
    type sysctl -A | grep sched > /media/internal/stockparm.conf
    to verify contents type:
    cat /media/internal/stockparm.conf

make sure it reads back vm.sched parameters, should be like 8 or 10 lines or something

If all is well then install latest warthog kernel
    load up terminal
    type:
    sysctl -p /media/internal/stockparm.conf

now verify those lines are matched in current running kernel config by typing:
    sysctl -A | grep sched

Also note, you may get some permission errors when doing both operations, that is ok.
    Many thanks- I did read through the thread but must've missed that. Shall give it a try and report back.
    a question, however; why doesn't warthog/uber just incorporate these values as default?
    Apologies for the double post- it works perfectly. Now I have the speed of 800mhz and the UI Smoothness of the stock kernel, bonza.
    I checked warthog's default sched parameters against stock and they were indeed different- I have screenshots for comparison that I can post up later if needed.

proc_version: Linux version 2.6.24-palm-chuck (v1.4.5-133@org.webosinternals.kernels.warthog-kernel-pixi) (gcc version 4.2.1 (CodeSourcery Sourcery G++ Lite 2007q3-51)) #2 PREEMPT Sat Nov 20 06:29:54 UTC 2010
    Current:

From Service:
    Governor: ondemandtcl
    Scheduler: cfq
    Congestion: cubic
    min freq: 122.88 MHz
    max freq: 806.4 MHz
    sampling rate: 0.2 Sec
    up threshold: 80 %
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0
    max tickle window: 3 Sec
    max floor window: 3 Sec
    compcache enabled: false
    compcache memlimit: 16 MB

Files:

cpufreq_file
    description "Govnah Settings"

start on stopped finish

script

[ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevBootPanicked`" = "false" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevShutdownClean`" = "true" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m -n com.palm.system last_umount_clean`" = "true" ] || exit 0

echo -n 'ondemandtcl' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo -n '122880' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo -n '806400' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo -n '200000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/sampling_rate
    echo -n '80' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/up_threshold
    echo -n '0' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/ignore_nice_load
    echo -n '0' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/powersave_bias
    echo -n '3000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/max_tickle_window
    echo -n '3000' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemandtcl/max_floor_window

end script

compcache_file
    cat: can't open '/var/palm/event.d/org.webosinternals.govnah-compcache': No such file or directory

Profiles:

(21) Fixed Speed 600 v7
    Governor: performance
    min freq: 600 MHz
    max freq: 600 MHz
    (22) Palm Default v7
    max freq: 600 MHz
    (25) Hog
    max freq: 806.4 MHz
    compcache enabled: false
    compcache memlimit: 16 MB
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Yeah, Im not sure why warthog insists on using the values he does in the kernel, I looked up some like the features one, and that shouldnt be really set to 24188 or whatever he specifies. 7, is best for our phones according to some things Ive read.

The uberkernel leaves these values alone for most part except tweaks 2 of them which work just as well as stock kernel.
    But warthogs just seem to cause a lot of UI lag in my experience. So, I create a bootscript that overrides them w/ the method I showed you above =)
    That's kind of strange, because I've found that Uber isn't as smooth as stock in general, same as warthog... Very very strange O_o' and I was going to ask after the permanentness of the script, time to get writing then :P

EDIT: Hey GenTarkin, how exactly do you make a script auto-execute on boot? I tried writing an executable shell script, putting it in /etc/init.d and running update-rc.d but checking after a reboot it's reverted back to stock warthog
    Because, for the most part, you are the only one that has reported an improvement using that setup.

Now if you post what the diff is and go through the exercise of identifying a specific param in question, I am willing to consider it.
    FWIW, the sysctl.conf file is just a suggestion and should not hold the same weight as other suggestions such as muffle and EOM.

My phone runs just fine without any sysctl modifications.

However, warthog does have a small sched change compiled in. For that, if you run warthog at stock speeds and find it slower than stock kernel, I want to know.
    Myself I've found both warthog and uber less smooth than stock when on the palm default profile. I'll post up the differences between the sched settings later on when I an access a computer, though I can't justify differences with linuxy reasons, i'm just going with personal experience, aka my phone being way smoother with stock sched.
    Right, here are the contents of sysctl -A | grep sched for the individual kernels.

Palm Stock:
    kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns = 4000000
    kernel.sched_latency_ns = 20000000
    kernel.sched_wakeup_granularity_ns = 10000000
    kernel.sched_batch_wakeup_granularity_ns = 10000000
    kernel.sched_child_runs_first = 1
    kernel.sched_features = 7
    kernel.sched_migration_cost = 500000
    kernel.sched_compat_yield = 0

Warthog:
    kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns = 2000000
    kernel.sched_latency_ns = 6000000
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Right, here are the contents of sysctl -A | grep sched for the individual kernels.

Palm Stock:
    kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns = 4000000
    kernel.sched_latency_ns = 20000000

Warthog:
    kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns = 2000000
    kernel.sched_latency_ns = 6000000

Oh wow, he must have changed the features one back to 7, because it used to be the assumed awesome tweak setting of 24188 or whatever that value was, but I did some research and that value really can mess w/ the kernel when it comes to our phones.
    Odd...

So, now its just min gran and latency that is modified.
    how much smoother is stock really??, I remember my pixi being horrible in general when I was running the stock kernel, it may be slightly choppy now but def not as bad as stock was, plus I can multitask much easier than before so I'm happy to deal with a lil ui lag that to me atleast was always there anyway.....
    The difference to me is huge, open up Govnah and then go into the profiles menu. The screen transition between the main menu and the profiles menu is smooth as silk for me on stock sched, whereas with uber and warthog sometimes it's so choppy yhat i don't even see a transition.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    The difference to me is huge, open up Govnah and then go into the profiles menu. The screen transition between the main menu and the profiles menu is smooth as silk for me on stock sched, whereas with uber and warthog sometimes it's so choppy yhat i don't even see a transition.
    Are you on sprint by any chance?
  15.    #555  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    Are you on sprint by any chance?
    Yes, with all these reports we need to know if it's a Pixi- or a Pixi+

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Nope, I'm on an O2 GSM Pixi Plus.
    shiftyaxel, what setting in govnah are you using?
    I'm using a profile called 'Hog' which is exactly the same as palm stock, except with 800mhz as the max frequency.
    Incidentally (largely aimed at GenTarkin, but feel free to chip in) how does one go about running a script on startup in webos? I've tried using /etc/init.d/ and such, but it never seems to work.
    I don't think the oc kernel was designed to work well with the stock profile.... Atleast that's what I thought