Page 18 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    How stable is this overclocking now? Will it work on Pre too? I have a few people i work with I would like to try it on
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    the pre already has a much faster over clock than the pixi. Up to 1.2 gHz I believe
    codecrumb and rob,

Would having lumberjack installed also help out...or is that just for apps? I don't mind greping through the logs myself, but maybe others might find that tool useful to submit any errors they are encountering?
    Last edited by pezman726; 10/25/2010 at 01:20 PM.
  4.    #344  
    Quote Originally Posted by dclaremont View Post
    How stable is this overclocking now?
    It is unstable experimental alpha testing. Do not instal unless you are willing to have your phone data completely wiped at any time without warning. Seriously.

-- Rod
    we need to have an 'iron fist' animation for everything Rod says, cause that's how it feels when he says anything. Like an iron fist, to the face...
    So I tested loading time on my pixi vs my wife's stock. She's only got the 3 apps that I installed on it, so mostly stock stuff.
    Email took about the same.
    Moo took same
    weather channel was a bit faster w/OC
    ABCs for kids took same
    google maps was faster w/OC
    web pages loaded about the same
    camera was about 2-3 seconds faster w/OC
    and finally ancient pond was about half a second faster on OC. Not a huge improvement in load times...but what I think there would really be an improvement on is framerate for some of the more graphically intense apps.
    Yes I also notice compressing in compcache is a lot faster vs stock clocks. The actual switching between apps that have been swapped into compcache and back out of it and also opening many apps at once is (demanding more on the fly compcache compression) is MUCH faster than stock clock.

So there are benefits...the only downfalls thus far is the ui lag people are experiencing and some devices "seem" to be going the speed OC'd or not..
    I too am running into the UI lag on a Sprint Pixi.

proc_version: Linux version 2.6.24-palm-chuck (v1.4.5-120@org.webosinternals.kernels.warthog-kernel-pixi) (gcc version 4.3.3 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q1-203) ) #2 PREEMPT Tue Oct 19 18:17:05 UTC 2010
    Current:
    From Service:
    Governor: performance
    Scheduler: anticipatory
    Congestion: cubic
    min freq: 748.8 MHz
    max freq: 748.8 MHz
    compcache enabled: true
    compcache memlimit: 24 MB

Files:
    cpufreq_file
    description "Govnah Settings"

start on stopped finish

script

[ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevBootPanicked`" = "false" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevShutdownClean`" = "true" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m -n com.palm.system last_umount_clean`" = "true" ] || exit 0

echo -n 'performance' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo -n '748800' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
    echo -n '748800' > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

end script
    compcache_file
    description "Govnah CompCache Configuration"

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

script

[ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevBootPanicked`" = "false" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m com.palm.properties.prevShutdownClean`" = "true" ] || exit 0
    [ "`/usr/bin/lunaprop -m -n com.palm.system last_umount_clean`" = "true" ] || exit 0

swapoff -a
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/xvmalloc.ko
    insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/extra/ramzswap.ko memlimit_kb=24576 backing_swap=/dev/mapper/store-swap
    sleep 3
    swapon /dev/ramzswap0 -p 1

end script

Profiles:
    (3) Fixed Speed 600 v6
    min freq: 600 MHz
    max freq: 600 MHz
    (4) Palm Default v6
    Governor: ondemandtcl
    min freq: 122.88 MHz
    max freq: 600 MHz
    sampling rate: 0.2 Sec
    up threshold: 80 %
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0
    max tickle window: 3 Sec
    max floor window: 3 Sec
    (7) Pixi OC
    min freq: 748.8 MHz
    max freq: 748.8 MHz
    compcache enabled: true
    compcache memlimit: 24 MB

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi
    Thanks Pez. My apps tested were email, sms, calendar, browser, angry birds. If you switch your overclocked settings to ondemand the stock will win on all. Keeping the cpu speed fixed at 768 runs similar to the stock. (your findings) I found stock to be a little faster. I am not sure if we are really overclocking our devices. Either way I love my pixi and hope we can get to the bottom of this.
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    there is no doubt that we are OCing. Look at CPU benchmarks and there is a vast improvement. Do this test btwn stock and your OC, get webosmark from the app catalog and run it on both. You'll see which is higher!
    thanks again for running the test pez. I notice the sunspider tests are faster on overclocked pixi. I also notice that the stock pixi is faster at opening apps than overclocked ondemandtcl 768 max. Also notice very similar speed when running 768 fixed performance vs stock performance. (i believe this was your finding as well)
    I am not going to beat a dead horse with my "speed test" but if we are overclocking our cpu frequencies by 28% more than stock we should notice.
    Last edited by stu5797; 10/25/2010 at 08:48 PM.
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Yeah I agree we need to get it running smoothly for all before release. But benchmarks themselves definitely show an improvement. I hit 342 in webos marks. Stock couldn't even touch that.
    Also sunspider I have seen as low as 20.05 seconds on OC.
    But the apparent smoothness needs to be figured out. It seems I am the only one in wanting a kernel only modded for OC and compcache module...no other changes.

So far that sort of kernel has not beem released but I believe it's where we need to start!

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums Beta
    Can someone please send me a pm with the webos marks app. Cant find it in the catalog?
    Thanks in advance
  14.    #354  
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    Can someone please send me a pm with the webos marks app. Cant find it in the catalog?
    Thanks in advance
    It's in the beta feed. Look for it in Preware with the Palm beta feed enabled.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  15.    #355  
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    we need to have an 'iron fist' animation for everything Rod says, cause that's how it feels when he says anything. Like an iron fist, to the face...
    Wow, I didn't realise my short notes came across that way. Replying on forums is something where I can't spend a lot of time on each message, and is often done on the phone during idle minutes.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Got it...Thanks Rod. BTW I appreciate your short notes and I get them as helpful.
    Last edited by stu5797; 10/25/2010 at 09:35 PM.
    Hey Rod, are you guys over at webos-internals working on a kernel internally for the pixi or something? Because it seems like warthogs is only one available that we are testing. Or are you guys waiting for concrete results from him, or working in tandem w/ him?

Wonderin whats goin on =)
    agree with stu about your posts rod. In fact, you should stop with those posts. The next person that asks about stability and/or where to get and install the kernel, just respond with...ITS ALREADY BEEN POSTED, FIGURE IT OUT!!
    codecrumb is a member of the webos internals team. Check out the kernel changelogs in the git repo. You'll see some commits in there by rod as well, and from other posts I've seen, it looks like codecrumb is getting plenty of help from others.
  20.    #360  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    Hey Rod, are you guys over at webos-internals working on a kernel internally for the pixi or something? Because it seems like warthogs is only one available that we are testing. Or are you guys waiting for concrete results from him, or working in tandem w/ him?

Wonderin whats goin on =)
    codecrumb is a member of the WebOS Internals kernel team. As is unixPsycho, myself, sbromwich, ka6sox, etc.

It's all one team. The different kernels are used for testing different things.

I personally am currently working on how to get UberKernel/Pixi to boot at stock and then overclock under sticky profile control, so that the 7 principles of kernel design and packaging (http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...packaging.html) can be met for a UberKernel public release.

All the kernels are built from a common source code repository (http://git.webos-internals.org/?p=ke....git;a=summary) and build and release system (http://git.webos-internals.org/?p=pr....git;a=summary).

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/25/2010 at 09:52 PM.