Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I own both the pre and Pixi and love both! But, I wish the great folks at webos internals would release a kernel to overclock the Pixi to 650 or 700 or anything higher. I remember reading that Unisx was running his Pixi at 700. (could be wrong) I hope it is possible!!!
    Thanks
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Unfortunately, 600mhz is the highest available. Sorry.
    Why have the not released a OC for the pixi?
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
    Quote Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
    Why have the not released a OC for the pixi?
    There is an overclock kernal for the pixi's... It's in Preware under kernels.(Uberkernal)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    There is an overclock kernal for the pixi's... It's in Preware under kernels.(Uberkernal)
    I believe he means over 600MHz.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    I agree. Overclocking the Pixi would have prob swayed me in the direction of keeping my Pixi but it looks like it will never come. Once the a new device drops I foresee all interest by developers in the Pixi will be gone. I'm getting my Pre tomorrow and can't wait to fly at 1 ghz.
    I believe that the reason why there are no (few) OC kernels is that there is a ton of information and documentation from TI about the OMAP 3 chip, were as there is very little about the PIXI's CPU.
    600MHz is the best the pixi will do folks....it's not the OC guys limiting things, it's the hardware.
  9.    #9  
    unix has said he is running a pixi at 700. I believe him
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    600MHz is the best the pixi will do folks....it's not the OC guys limiting things, it's the hardware.
    Define hardware, because the CPU is part of the hardware....what else is limiting it? lol
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    Define hardware, because the CPU is part of the hardware....what else is limiting it? lol
    the CPU in the Pre and the one in the Pixi are different chips. So different kernels need to be written for each. I would think that the person that is running the 700 on his Pixi might be experimental, and they just aren't ready to release it to the masses just yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    unix has said he is running a pixi at 700. I believe him
    Citation please?

UnixPsycho doesn't even own a Pixi.

Pixi clocking is limited by the closed proprietary modem chip to 600MHz max. That ain't gonna change, no matter how much praying happens.

-- Rod
  13.    #13  
    I will check to see where I saw that quote. I believe someone was asking him if he was running over 1.2ghz and then something about his pixi running at 700. I will check the blackbird forum. I could be wrong as I stated in my first post. If you say he never had a pixi then I'm dead wrong. But I will check who said that
    So, rwhitby, are you saying...the chip is in effect locked and not changeable or are you saying we just dont know enough about it to oc it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    So, rwhitby, are you saying...the chip is in effect locked and not changeable or are you saying we just dont know enough about it to oc it yet.
    Proprietary means that its proprietary. Meaning that the code to change the FSbus and voltage of the processor is not available to us.

Its not even that its 'locked' and someone could essentially hack it... we don't have access from the manufacturer on the processor information and code. Period. Nothing. Zip. Nada. Zilch.

So, unless through some miracle the producer of the Pixis processor decided to open the source code for the processor, which they wont, then we dont even have the ability to try to overclock it, let alone succeed at overclocking it.

Remember, the Pixi's processor is an inexpensive one and really, I couldn't see it getting overclocked (IF WE EVEN HAD THE CODE TO) without it frying.

So, instead of praying for unicorns, just use the other known methods to speed up your PIXI:

1) Uberkernel with compcache and too many cards memory fix.

2) JStop with auto GC enabled to clear out memory leaks in the javascript layer of the phone.

3) Turn logging to minimal

4) Doctor often and clear out your phone logs, chat logs, internet history and google maps logs

5) Turn off any background services that you dont need (polling for email, facebook, any IM clients you dont use)

6) Patches like "Downloading Unthrottled, Web Browser Memory Fix, Photo preload ammount" help to make the device feel faster.

7) Use "Preset Reset" to reset your phone every morning, your PIXI is like a small computer, you gotta reboot it to clear memory leaks.

8) Make sure you are using "Hybrid Rev A" for your Data... (type ##3836# in the phone app and then make sure the settings are on "Hybrid Rev A") this will make sure you are using 3G internet and make the phone feel faster.

9) Wait patiently for WebOS 2.0. It will have an entire rewrite of the underlying OS services from Java to Javascript, plus enable the Graphics Processor for animations and scrolling, so this will take a LOT of work off of the CPU itself, allowing it to focus on other tasks.
    Thanks for that info =) couple of those patches I cant find and couple I already have. I am using Rev 0 for increased battery life, its not really slower than Rev A for the little internet I use on this phone.

Heres to hoping WebOS 2.0 is optimized for speed and functionality =) kinda like win7 is a heavily optimized vista!
    just type 'logging" into preware and u get a few. "unthrottled" get u one. go into available, patches, then browser to find the browser memory. same idea with the photos one.
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
    Thanks bradenfontaine, I couldnt remember the patch names of the top of my head.

Can any PIXI user report back with how much any of my steps improve the speed of your PIXI?

I have a PRE, and these were just the steps I took to speed it up without overclocking (I enjoy my battery life too much)

So I am wondering how much these steps speed up a PIXI.

Is there a noticeable difference?
  19.    #19  
    I do not see the browser memory....hmmmmm
    Its called "Allow Browser in Low Mem"
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast