Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    I feel like its xmas eve! Waiting for my sweet overclocked pixi!
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    I think everyone is getting a bit carried away. Just yesterday Rod said it couldn't be done. We are still quite a ways away from seeing this.
    Something new for the @Palm #Pixi ... on Twitpic

Doesnt that pretty much mean it is possible??
    Not really.

First pass (this time) allowed for a faster clock speed but no improvement in performance.

After looking at a diff provided by drellisdee, I'm now up to 748mhz with a noticeable improvement in performance.

HOWEVER, performance @ 600mhz shows a regression so it's not all roses yet.
    i hate to sound even more like a noob than i already am lol...but could someone please explain this overclocking lol...i enjoy learning these things
    "I get by with a little help from my friends, get high with a little help from my friends."
    -The Beatles

My Device History

Went a year without a Palm and had to go back lol
  6.    #46  
    good luck! We are all rooting for you! If you need an extreme alpha tester I am all for it!
    thanks for the update!!
    Last edited by stu5797; 10/09/2010 at 05:23 PM.
    just DL'd the uImage file. Will memboot later tonight hopefully!
    Quote Originally Posted by kee_ellis_09 View Post
    i hate to sound even more like a noob than i already am lol...but could someone please explain this overclocking lol...i enjoy learning these things
    to put it simply...the CPU of the phone is only supposed to run at 600mhz. To overclock means to make the clock speed (600mhz) faster than the manufacturer intended it. Normally this results in performance gains, though sometimes small, they are still noticeable. This can also result in royally f'ing up your cpu...but most modern chips will shut down way before any real damage occurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    just DL'd the uImage file. Will memboot later tonight hopefully!

to put it simply...the CPU of the phone is only supposed to run at 600mhz. To overclock means to make the clock speed (600mhz) faster than the manufacturer intended it. Normally this results in performance gains, though sometimes small, they are still noticeable. This can also result in royally f'ing up your cpu...but most modern chips will shut down way before any real damage occurs.
    thank you! Seems like I would prolly enjoy having that lol...so you'd say its kinda safe to download?
    "I get by with a little help from my friends, get high with a little help from my friends."
    -The Beatles

My Device History

Quote Originally Posted by kee_ellis_09 View Post
    thank you! Seems like I would prolly enjoy having that lol...so you'd say its kinda safe to download?
    Do not download the experimental kernels referred to in this thread.

Start with the UberKernel in Preware, and wait for an update on that if any of this new experimentation bears fruit.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Do not download the experimental kernels referred to in this thread.

Start with the UberKernel in Preware, and wait for an update on that if any of this new experimentation bears fruit.

-- Rod
    Thanks! thats just what i need then lol
    -The Beatles

My Device History

11.    #51  
    Thanks to @getitnowmarket (from the Android Forums), another ... on Twitpic

This should be front page news!

Hope is a good thing...maybe the best of things
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Dude, thats freakin awesome! Looks, like its bearing fruit so far =) Hope this becomes reality to being as simple as a preware uberkernel update! look forward to it!

Any increase in speed would help compression speed when using compcache...thats for sure!
    Any update codecrumb? Is this really possible?
    If this becomes commonly used, will the screenstate governor ever come to the Pixi? I don't think it was available when I last tried Uberkernel.
    running at 748.8mhz right now. Loading apps is a lot faster.
  16.    #56  
    Pezman? are you a kernel developer for internals? Can you multitask better at 748? Is there a way we can test at our own risk?
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    running at 748.8mhz right now. Loading apps is a lot faster.
    I am wondering if you are using compcache, if so can you test the speed by opening tons of apps and seeing how it runs? I am curious of the effect on speed it will allow for compressing data in the the compressed swap...

I have a feeling thats one thing holding back compcache and maintaining system smoothness, its compression eats cpu cycles like mad!
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    Pezman? are you a kernel developer for internals? Can you multitask better at 748? Is there a way we can test at our own risk?
    He is simply testing the experimental builds that codecrumb has posted in the @warthogkernel twitter feed.

-- Rod
    Quick question, if I memboot using the image in his twitter, is that just a temporary boot up? if I do a regular reboot..it boots my normal kernel right?

Or does memboot, import the memboot'd kernel and overwrite the one you have?

Also, this just changes the booted kernel, it doesnt change anything else in the underlaying filesystem, so no programs / data and stuff is affected...right?

Thats my basic understanding of linux anyways, changing the kernel doesnt really mess w/ user programs and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    Quick question, if I memboot using the image in his twitter, is that just a temporary boot up? if I do a regular reboot..it boots my normal kernel right?

Or does memboot, import the memboot'd kernel and overwrite the one you have?

Also, this just changes the booted kernel, it doesnt change anything else in the underlaying filesystem, so no programs / data and stuff is affected...right?

Thats my basic understanding of linux anyways, changing the kernel doesnt really mess w/ user programs and stuff.
    That is correct.

However, since it is an experimental kernel, you must be prepared for the possibility that it might wipe your complete device and destroy your Palm profile. If you're not prepared to accept that possible outcome with a smile on your face, then don't use an experimental kernel. Seriously.

-- Rod
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast