Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    step by step for browser memory:

available packages
    patch
    browser

in there it should be titled 'allow browser in low mem'

I installed all of this on the wifes pixi last night. I'll ask her tonight how significant the difference is and report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    600MHz is the best the pixi will do folks....it's not the OC guys limiting things, it's the hardware.
    im a doubter as well

i heard this same line with the pre "its hardware limited to 800mhz, thats max"....ya, that lasted lol
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    im a doubter as well

i heard this same line with the pre "its hardware limited to 800mhz, thats max"....ya, that lasted lol
    The difference is that the person who you heard that from (e.g. not someone from WebOS Internals) had never written a line of kernel code.

But feel free to hope in vain. Just don't try to convince anyone else that your unfounded hope is in any way based on technical merit.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    im a doubter as well

True. I'm running at 1Ghz with Uberkernel.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    I am curious, is there a way to benchmark the compcache using dd and comparing that to speeds of the ssd?
    Because I am wondering if this cpu is slower or faster at compressing / decompressing data going in and out of compcache swap vs using ssd for swap file.

I know using dd our ssd is about 20MB/sec read...
    I tried dd on /dev/ramzswap but that file seems to be a combination of both the compcache and swap file...so theres no way to tell.

Im wondering is there a way to easily set up a ramz loop device and run benches on that?
    I dont seem to have rzcontrol available in terminal...so Im wondering whats the commands govnah uses to setup the compcache device, maybe could use those commands to create a loop ramz device.

Thanks
    It's not possible to overclock the Pixi (well at least MY Pixi).

How do I know? Well, afaikafaikafaik, $I$'$m$ $the$ $only$ $one$ $that$ $has$ $patched$ $the$ $Pixi$ $kernel$ $to$ $try$ $to$ $do$ $so$. $The$ $Pixi$ $is$ $much$ $more$ $limited$ $in$ $terms$ $of$ $possible$ $frequencies$. $The$ $next$ $possible$ $step$ $up$ $is$ $960Mhz$.

You are welcome to try membooting the kernel but I really doubt that your phone would boot.

Pixi Plus (GSM)
    http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/wos/uImage-pixi

Pixi (Sprint)
    http://commondatastorage.googleapis....ge-pixi-sprint

If you have to ask about membooting, you should not be doing this. Also, this obviously voids any sort of warranty your phone has and I take no responsibility if your phone is damaged. YMMV.
    So, let me get this right, your memboot method has successfully ran the cpu at 960mhz or not? but you just know that frequency possibility exists...
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    So, let me get this right, your memboot method has successfully ran the cpu at 960mhz or not? but you just know that frequency possibility exists...
    I tested this kernel for codecrumb on a couple of Pixi devices, and it did not boot.

This was our only hope for Pixi overclocking (codecrumb is a WebOS Internals kernel developer), and unfortunately it was not successful.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  9.    #29  
    Great try guys!!!!!!! Appreciate the effort!!!!!!!! I would like to make a donation Rod...where can I send it?
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
  10.    #30  
    sorry... just read your signature. please disregard
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    I own an LG Ally (Android phone) and a Pre Plus.

It may be worth noting that the Ally has the same CPU as the Pixi and has been successfully overclocked to 729, 748, 768, and 787 MHz stops. The thread is here: Overclocking Ally - Android Forums

The dev gives a freq chart and stuff, but not much I understand. It may be worth contacting him about how he accomplished what he has.
    Interesting...well now we know it can be done...
    Now we know it can be done on an LG Ally...which may have the same CPU, but I'm sure the rest of the architecture is different. It may be a step in a positive direction, but think of it this way. If I take the exact same (and I mean same..pop it out of 1 PC and into another) 2.4ghz amd phenom processor and toss it into an asus mobo, I may be able to clock it to 3.6ghz. Toss it into a foxconn, and I might be able to only get it up to 2.8 before it becomes unstable.

My point is, there is a lot more to OCing than just what the CPU is capable of. You have to look at the hardware as a whole.

That all being said...I hope the ally being OC'd does help out and allow just a bit more to be squeezed out of my pixi! If not though, I am still left with a very capable phone....especially if 1.4.5 ever is released for it anyway!
  14.    #34  
    I am sure the folks at webos internals already knew about the lg ally as android central is a sister site. If not, I sure hope they can learn from it and make it work on the pixi!
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.allrobots.org View Post
    I own an LG Ally (Android phone) and a Pre Plus.

It may be worth noting that the Ally has the same CPU as the Pixi and has been successfully overclocked to 729, 748, 768, and 787 MHz stops. The thread is here: Overclocking Ally - Android Forums

The dev gives a freq chart and stuff, but not much I understand. It may be worth contacting him about how he accomplished what he has.
    Thanks for the pointer - this has opened up a new avenue of investigation, which codecrumb is exploring : Twitter

-- Rod
    WOW. That was quick. Beautiful pic rod. You and codecrumb keep up the great work!!!
    big thanks to bill.allrobots.org as well for throwing up that link to the ally!
  18.    #38  
    are my dreams coming true? Another donation will be on it's way!!! Can't wait to test it!
    if this happens I will be firing my Pixi back up. I dearly miss it.
    Holy crap ... so you did OC it?!?!?!? Freakin awesome...cant wait till this becomes avail! Awesome Pic!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast