Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have an htc hero that i just dont really like. its not bad but lately its been ****ing me off. the .7sw update is fantastic and ive used about every rom tahts available. Lets get to the goods: Ive always liked the pixi's form factor and im reading a lot of good things about webOS. could you please inform me; what would i be losing and/or gaining by switching(straight trade) from the hero to the pixi? please provide factual answers and after that...ill read your opinions. im going to do some more research on the pixi. thank you thank you
    losing would be limited to the many apps in the android market that arent available in the palm app catalog. In my opinion, that's the only one that might matter.

with webOS, you get much easier use, much easier homebrewing, and a nicer user community.
  3.    #3  
    ok. ill be losing wifi as well and have a downgrade in camera...the thing is that i use my device a lot for messaging and im constantly making mistakes on the hero.

now with the pixi, is it responsive/fast? am i able to overclock if wanted? im into the mods and roms and junk of android right now but it consumes a lot of my time...im looking to get away from that and have a better messaging experience...

also, will the pixi be receiving the latest OS upgrades? my hero wont be seeing a sense ui enabled 2.2(officially)
    based on your comments, I think you will be happier with the Pre. are you staying with Sprint?

no one complains that the Pixi is slow, but it can't be overclocked the way the Pre can. it can use the UberKernel/Govnah combination for other benefits that may make it quicker, but I don't think it will let you increase the clock speed.
  5.    #5  
    yes, ill be sticking with sprint...i may have arrangements to trade devices with a friend. I do not like sliding mechanisms at all...so no pre.if it can ov'd at all, thatll be good. although ive been wasting too much time on the android os that id like a device that i cant tinker with so much...

will the pixi adopt the latest webOS versions?
    the videos im watching seem that the pixi device is more responsive...especially with the multi touch
    webos is the same on both phones. there are many happy pixi customers.
  7.    #7  
    also, would i be able to gain access to the pixi to delete all the useless apps and software that i wouldnt use?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    webos is the same on both phones. there are many happy pixi customers.
    i know webOS2.0 is coming, will the pixi receive that update? android is annoying in that they choose which devices get the updates...
    yes, all indications are that it will...
    At this point in time, from what I understand, the pixi cannot be OC'd or OV'd. I believe noone has figured out how to yet or maybe Im wrong and its locked and it cannot be done at all.

I personally have the pixi and love it, you can download a very useful patch called advanced launcher config(I think) and use it to hide all the app icons you wont use. I find it very very useful.

W/ webos there are patches that change the way it allows the user to interact w/ the OS itself. It adds functionality to webos or tweaks settings that many feel should have been there from the getgo. There is over 300+ patches for webos.

If you arent aware if webos's multi tasking ability, it will probably blow you away. Im impressed w/ how easy it is to do multiple things at the same time on webos.
    I love the absence of any "back, joystick" buttons that you find commonly on other webos platforms. The gestures is simply awesome!

You will lose access to MANY apps available on the droid, as there are only about 1500 apps or so, not including patches.

W/ the pixi its incredibly easy to gain access to the linux CLI and tweak linux to your hearts content which I love!

You dont have to do any "dangerous" rooting or anything, install sdk, put it in developer mode and install a couple things. Bam, good to go!

If your into gaming, you might lose out on quite a bit of games as well =/
    Although try angry birds out...haha such a blast of a game, not sure if its avail on other smart phones or just webos. There is a lite version thats free.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    At this point in time, from what I understand, the pixi cannot be OC'd or OV'd. I believe noone has figured out how to yet or maybe Im wrong and its locked and it cannot be done at all.

I personally have the pixi and love it, you can download a very useful patch called advanced launcher config(I think) and use it to hide all the app icons you wont use. I find it very very useful.

W/ webos there are patches that change the way it allows the user to interact w/ the OS itself. It adds functionality to webos or tweaks settings that many feel should have been there from the getgo. There is over 300+ patches for webos.

If you arent aware if webos's multi tasking ability, it will probably blow you away. Im impressed w/ how easy it is to do multiple things at the same time on webos.
    I love the absence of any "back, joystick" buttons that you find commonly on other webos platforms. The gestures is simply awesome!

You will lose access to MANY apps available on the droid, as there are only about 1500 apps or so, not including patches.

W/ the pixi its incredibly easy to gain access to the linux CLI and tweak linux to your hearts content which I love!

You dont have to do any "dangerous" rooting or anything, install sdk, put it in developer mode and install a couple things. Bam, good to go!

If your into gaming, you might lose out on quite a bit of games as well =/
    Although try angry birds out...haha such a blast of a game, not sure if its avail on other smart phones or just webos. There is a lite version thats free.
    thanks alot. the ov was a typo by me, meant oc. i use my device a lot for messaging and i make a lot of mistakes on the hero. im not into gaming on my phone, i play bust a move sometimes but thats about it. id like to do more research on these 'patches'. seems like an easy way to do mods and junk...

id love more insight from many more users...
    patches are similar to what you would call ROMs in the android world. much easier to do in webos through the magic of preware, which is like a homebrew equivalent to the official app catalog.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 09/27/2010 at 05:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tailsthecat3 View Post
    id like to do more research on these 'patches'. seems like an easy way to do mods and junk...

id love more insight from many more users...
    I have a Pre (not Pixi) and have only delved into Android enough to try to mod my little brother's phone. Before that I was heavy into Windows Mobile roms and hacks and all.

All that said, I LOVE how webOS is set up with Preware and the ability to easily change things. I don't think I'd call a singular patch a Rom, but with all of the patches and themes out there, it's like having the ability to create your own ROM on the go.

You don't have to choose an entire solution...instead, you can choose however many (or few) you like to make the device really sing for you.

I haven't really used the Pixi much, so I can't tell if there will be a great loss in terms of Power or speed, but I think you'll enjoy webOS.

nnb
    I have a pixi and webOS is awesome.... I will not switch to an android ever. Once I got into preware and all things you can do to tweak your phone to your liking not to mention getting used to all the shortcuts built into webOS. I would reccomend everyone switching over and then you will like the rest of us who cant wait to use webOS on some beefed up specs in the hopefully near future!
    If you are hating how much time you waste by modding Android you will LOVE Web OS... because you will be able to do all of the mods you want, but in 1/100th of the time and easier.
    I had my mind set on getting an android phone, but the only affordable one on att was the backflip. My wife saw the pixi and said, that looks like a nice little phone that looks easy to use. The guy was about to set up our service and I decided that I had better get the same phone as my wife so if she had problems I could help. WOW am I glad my wife decided to get the pixi!!!! I love the phone! It's really a great little piece of hardware, and with all the options available to it, I can basically make my own OS. Now if only ATT would get off their butts and release 1.4.5 so I can get the new apps that have been released! seriously, there are no new apps being built with the sdk that are even worth downloading!
    I recently turned in a Hero for a Pre. The Hero is actually a quite nice device, I just didn't care for Android. I wouldn't trade it for a Pixi though, you'll be very disappointed. The Pixi is much slower than the Hero. Trade for the Pre, you'll be much more happy. Pre vs. Hero is no contest. Pre beats it every time, ESPECIALLY if you patch the Pre up to 1ghz.
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    I had my mind set on getting an android phone, but the only affordable one on att was the backflip. My wife saw the pixi and said, that looks like a nice little phone that looks easy to use. The guy was about to set up our service and I decided that I had better get the same phone as my wife so if she had problems I could help. WOW am I glad my wife decided to get the pixi!!!! I love the phone! It's really a great little piece of hardware, and with all the options available to it, I can basically make my own OS. Now if only ATT would get off their butts and release 1.4.5 so I can get the new apps that have been released! seriously, there are no new apps being built with the sdk that are even worth downloading!
    of all the android phones out there, the backflip is probably the worst one out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    of all the android phones out there, the backflip is probably the worst one out there.
    yeah...i know that. Remember though. I said affordable android phone at att. My choice was limited to that, the new galaxy, and htc aria. Aria at 150 galaxy at a lot more, and backflip at 50. Yes, I was put off by the crappiness of the backflip!!!

I got a much better phone...and it was FREE!! I thought about the pre, but it was $100, and I like the pixi form factor. IIRC though, the hero isn't all that powerful of a phone anyway, so i'd say the pixi could probably hold it's own against it, and a pre, especially OC'd would just blow it away.
    If it were the eris I would say dont do it but yeah the hero for the pixi would definitely be a good trade. Get the pixi I actually am also considering it myself (I have a pre) webos is awesome
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast