1.    #1  
    I don't know all the details at the moment. What I do know is it was dropped in a toilet, recovered, then put in a bag of rice for a while(don't know how long). Apparently, it turns on, but nothing shows up on the screen. I was told she knows it turns on, because it will ring if receiving a call.

Any advice on how to possibly make it work again? If not, will the data be accessible to pull off the phone for a replacement? I'm going to see her this weekend, so I'll see the phone then.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Ah Crap!!!

ok, now that an inevitable feces joke has passed by. It sounds like the screen is bad. The main thing to consider is if the phone is completely dry. She should put it back into rice and keep it there for a couple days.

If the screen is dead then you can place in USB mode by plugging it in to a computer USB port. It will default to "just charge". Once in that mode you can press Orange + Sym + U which will put the phone in USB mode and let you copy the contents.

Good luck. But if the phone runs I would be trying more time in rice to see if the screen comes back.
    Dan
    the only way to truely ensure that the phone will work and continue to work (if it is not too late) is to take apart the device and get rid of all the rust (water + electricity) by brushing all the circuit components with the highest proof alcohol you can find, then cleaning it with distilled water, then letting it dry completely like letting it sit out in the sun for 5-6 hours. This is all asssuming that the circuit and connections are not already to badly damaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by tha2nddunn View Post
    rust (water + electricity)
    Rust = Iron + Oxygen aka Ironoxide

The term you are looking for is corrosion, similar to rust but with out the iron and the red color its usually green.

Otherwise, I agree with your statement but the device is pretty much toast either way. Water + electronics = massive failure, it will eventually fail. Follow the advice you get and save everything important from it and get a new one.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    I don't know all the details at the moment. What I do know is it was dropped in a toilet, recovered, then put in a bag of rice for a while(don't know how long). Apparently, it turns on, but nothing shows up on the screen. I was told she knows it turns on, because it will ring if receiving a call.

Any advice on how to possibly make it work again? If not, will the data be accessible to pull off the phone for a replacement? I'm going to see her this weekend, so I'll see the phone then.
    The proper procedure as I recall it, is to remove the battery, place the phone in a bag of rice for 24hrs (in sunlight if possible). After that you can boot it up.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    you can place the phone in a 55gal drum of rice and set it on the sun and the phone will still be toast. Even IF the screen comes back to life, it will be a temporary victory at best. Water ALWAYS has the final say. Were there any "chemicals" in the toilet at the time of the whirly?
    My Pre took a swan dive into a glass of water for maybe 3 seconds. I pulled the battery and placed everything into a bag of moisture absorbing materials for 48 hours. The phone turned back on and worked 99%, but had a slight halo on part of the touch screen. Fast forward a week, and slowly but surely corrosion was winning the battle. Stopped vibrating, then more of the touch screen developed a halo, then the contrast went WAAAAY bright, but still worked. I finally gave up and got a new Pre.