1.    #1  
    I have a plan that does not include data, I am interested in the Pixi very much.

I dont know what current Pixi's version of webos is that they ship with but I would like to update it to latest when I buy the phone.

I do not want to update OTA because it will probably take a huge hit of data charges considering the size of the updates.

Is there any way to manually download the update file to the device over usb and initiate updating of the device?

Thanks
    as far as I know you can't get around a data plan with the pixi. But if you can you can either use webos doctor or wifi if you have the plus, or probably your provider can do it also.
    Verizon Pixi Plus on 1.4.5 w/ Preware
  3.    #3  
    Well, what do you mean? cuz the guy that looked up my plan said it qualified for the pixi...so afaikafaikafaik $we$ $dont$ $have$ $data$.
    Or did you just mean it has to be done OTA?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GenTarkin View Post
    Well, what do you mean? cuz the guy that looked up my plan said it qualified for the pixi...so afaikafaikafaik $we$ $dont$ $have$ $data$.
    Or did you just mean it has to be done OTA?

Thanks
    I think he means that carriers require some type of data plan before actvating a smartphone.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    What carrier do you have?
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
  6.    #6  
    I have sprint.
    Read this.

Some important things to know about PalmŪ devices

Trust me I tried for months to keep my original plan, which had data, but they absolutely refused to do it.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by chad4359 View Post
    Read this.

[url= important things to know about PalmŪ devices[/url]

Trust me I tried for months to keep my original plan, which had data, but they absolutely refused to do it.
    Same here, I had a sweet plan too. Oh well, but I love my Pre so I have no complaints.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Yeah that CSR must have meant that your plan has an upgrade and you are eligible for the pixi. The pixi requires a data plan. The cheapest one is the Everything data plan for $70 which includes 450 minutes. That includes unlimited text and email and data, and the minutes should take you pretty far because of the unlimited mobile to mobile. And you wont save any data updating over wifi because the pixi does not have wifi capability. Not that it matters considering the required data plan, but you could use the webOS doctor to upgrade and that wouldnt use any data.
    Sorry you are new and can't see links copy this and paste into your browser.

shop.sprint.com/en/stores/popups/palm_plan_details_popup.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Same here, I had a sweet plan too. Oh well, but I love my Pre so I have no complaints.
    Yeah I agree, I knew I made the right decision the day I got my Pixi.
  12.    #12  
    Hrmm...weird well I guess I will call back the sprint store to verify what plan I currently have. Forgot my sprint.com login information lol!

On another note, the reason I kinda dont want the data is because of certain stuff on the internet. I am wondering is there any sort of content filtering software available for webOS?
    Thanks
    Hrmm...weird well I guess I will call back the sprint store to verify what plan I currently have. Forgot my sprint.com login information lol!

On another note, the reason I kinda dont want the data is because of certain stuff on the internet. I am wondering is there any sort of content filtering software available for webOS?
    Thanks
    WebOS pretty much has to use data because of how Synergy works. When you activate you have to login and/or create a Palm Profile and it then backs that up everyday by default.

Closest thing I can think of to content filtering would be the adblocker patch but you could always just not use the browser.

One more thing, don't call a Sprint store for information like that. Chances are they don't even know about the plan requirement they would probably just tell you to get an Android phone instead.
  14.    #14  
    K thanks for the info, Let me clarify...my current plan does have data capability, I just get charged something/kb used I think.
    At least thats how my plan was when I got it. So, would this work and is that why they told me it would work?

On another note, is there a "HOW TO" for manually updating the webOS over USB?
    Thanks
    K thanks for the info, Let me clarify...my current plan does have data capability, I just get charged something/kb used I think.
    At least thats how my plan was when I got it. So, would this work and is that why they told me it would work?

On another note, is there a "HOW TO" for manually updating the webOS over USB?
    Thanks
    Per the link I posted earlier you MUST have one of the plans listed, no other plan (with or without data) may be used no ifs, ands, or buts.

Do a search for Webos dr for updating via USB, keep in mind this returns the phone to stock condition when done.
  16.    #16  
    Well heres an interesting update, I called the sprint store anyways. They said we got changed to Everything Family Data plan 3 phones 1500mins back in march....I guess grandfathered into that plan? Because our rate did not change.

So, guess Im good to go w/ pixi.
    Well heres an interesting update, I called the sprint store anyways. They said we got changed to Everything Family Data plan 3 phones 1500mins back in march....I guess grandfathered into that plan? Because our rate did not change.

So, guess Im good to go w/ pixi.
    Well that's awesome! I tried to get them to do that for me and they completely refused so I had to add an extra $20 to mine to get it. You are set to go welcome to the Pixi family.