Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I never thought I would advocate the use of two separate devices with all of the convergence and choices, but I do think today this combination gives you the best of all worlds. Since the Pixi Plus and Touch are both really compact it is not such a big deal to carry both. And there is currently no single device that can match the capabilities of this combination. I sure hope that one day HP will deliver the killer webOS phone upgrade, but for now...

Palm Pixi Plus

- Verizon Wireless coverage and and free WIFI Hotspot
    - webOS for Synergy
    - pretty nice physical keyboard for when you have a lot of typing

Apple iPod Touch

- Skype (enables you to make voice calls without interrupting the WIFI hotspot)
    - broad application availability
    - big screen for better browsing, email, Google maps, etc.

Special Benefits related to using ActiveSync on the Touch instead of the Pixi Plus

- Better battery life for the Pixi Plus
    - No PIN requirement on my phone (entering the PIN on the Pixi Plus was a PITA due to small screen and UI lag)
    - More reliable ActiveSync integration for Exchange Mail and Calendar (I was continually having password problems with webOS tht resulting in me getting locked out of the Exchange at least once a week)

How many other Pixi users are using this combination?

I am currently using a Touch 2G, and the big question on my mind with the introduction of the 4G is whether or not I should upgrade to get:

- Retina display
    - Multi-tasking (2G is not multi-tasking)
    - dual cameras with Facetime
    - HD video
    - even better battery life
    - even better performance
    - even thinner profile

Decisions, decisions...
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    I used to carry a form of mp3 player around but why carry 2 devices when 1 can do it all?

Im completely content with carrying just my pixi. Zune, psp, nano, and gps now sit in random spots untouched.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I too would like a single device, but there is no single device that meets my needs. What I have kind of concluded is that two very compact devices are better than any single integrated device available today.

I certainly hope that HP/Palm get there first. I think that webOS has the best UI, but I'm really starting to wonder if it is possible to have one device that is compact and has all the capabilities -- not to mention the battery power to do it all for a full day.

I see the Pixi as being optimized for two way communication, since has a nice keyboard and Synergy builds a great foundation. After playing with the Pixi Plus Touch combo for a couple of days I've concluded that I would like a Pixi like device for phone, SMS, email, IM, etc. In addition, I would probably want to have my calendar on the the same device -- especially since I have to use Exchange for work.

I see the Touch as not being optimized for two way communication. This is mostly due to lack of a physical keyboard. I just do not like the virtual keyboard at all. Besides the lack of real keys when the keyboard is on you lose much of the display. I do see the Touch as optimized for media consumption -- music, web, video, maps, etc. I'm not much of a gamer, but if I was I would prefer the Touch with the large screen over something like the Pixi. When it comes to application availability, the Touch is way ahead of pack and will stay there.

Today, the Pixi Plus is the device that I always carry with me. For example, on weekend bike rides I carry the Pixi Plus -- and not the Touch.

I'm thinking that the idea device would be one based on webOS with the screen of the Touch and the keyboard of the Pixi Plus. That would be a big phone. I suppose the Pre was an attempt at creating the "ideal device," but it has a number of shortcomings such as: screen is too small, body is too thick, keyboard is compromised, handling is awkward, battery life is borderline even before doing lots of media consumption, etc.

The Droid was another attempt at creating the idea device, but it had more problems including a worse keyboard, big size, and a crappy OS.

So, I've reached a happy medium where I do have to carry two devices most of the time, but I get quite a bit more than I could get with any single device.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I never thought I would advocate the use of two separate devices with all of the convergence and choices, but I do think today this combination gives you the best of all worlds. Since the Pixi Plus and Touch are both really compact it is not such a big deal to carry both. And there is currently no single device that can match the capabilities of this combination. I sure hope that one day HP will deliver the killer webOS phone upgrade, but for now...

Palm Pixi Plus

- Verizon Wireless coverage and and free WIFI Hotspot
    - webOS for Synergy
    - pretty nice physical keyboard for when you have a lot of typing

Apple iPod Touch

- Skype (enables you to make voice calls without interrupting the WIFI hotspot)
    - broad application availability
    - big screen for better browsing, email, Google maps, etc.

Special Benefits related to using ActiveSync on the Touch instead of the Pixi Plus

- Better battery life for the Pixi Plus
    - No PIN requirement on my phone (entering the PIN on the Pixi Plus was a PITA due to small screen and UI lag)
    - More reliable ActiveSync integration for Exchange Mail and Calendar (I was continually having password problems with webOS tht resulting in me getting locked out of the Exchange at least once a week)

How many other Pixi users are using this combination?

I am currently using a Touch 2G, and the big question on my mind with the introduction of the 4G is whether or not I should upgrade to get:

- Retina display
    - Multi-tasking (2G is not multi-tasking)
    - dual cameras with Facetime
    - HD video
    - even better battery life
    - even better performance
    - even thinner profile

Decisions, decisions...
    Doesn't the mobile hotspot gobble battery? I have been trying to tether through USB in an attempt to get decent battery life. Is it even possible to usb or bluetooth tether with the iTouch?
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    free mobile hotspot on VZW is nice. I talked my cousin into getting VZW Pre Plus mainly because of free MHS that she uses with her iPad (wifi only version, not 3G)
    I agree with you OP. I listen to music while commuting for hours each day. No phone battery I know of can handle that kind of consumption while retaining a good charge by say, 10 PM when I usually get home from school and/or work.

I'm definitely interested in getting a new mp3 player, may even take the plunge to the dark side and buy the new Ipod Touch lol. It looks great.
    I am, therefore I think
    I agree with you OP. I listen to music while commuting for hours each day. No phone battery I know of can handle that kind of consumption while retaining a good charge by say, 10 PM when I usually get home from school and/or work.

I'm definitely interested in getting a new mp3 player, may even take the plunge to the dark side and buy the new Ipod Touch lol. It looks great.
    I am, therefore I think
    i will be running the pretouch combo myself...i need a dedicated media device due to the crappy pre battery life and i cant get better than the 1400 mugen battery bc i dont want to have to mod a bigger battery for my touchstone...the only thing that sucks is ill run out of battery if i hotspot too much...but at least the touch looks sexy...???
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Doesn't the mobile hotspot gobble battery? I have been trying to tether through USB in an attempt to get decent battery life. Is it even possible to usb or bluetooth tether with the iTouch?
    Good point Nathan. The mobile hotspot is brutal on the battery. In my case I have WIFI access at home and in the office where I spend the majority of my time. Lately, I'm been spending lots of time at my son's Pop Warner football practices and can pretty easily get 3 hours of hotspot.

I've discovered that not running Exchange ActiveSync really reduces the drain on the battery. I do have a couple of extra batteries that I carry with me, but I've been opening and closing the Pixi Plus case so much that the rubber is delaminating from the case. I did go an order one of the Seidio batteries, so I guess we'll see if that helps.

I'm pretty sure that WIFI is the only tethering option for the Touch. It does have Bluetooth, but I don't think it supports a serial connection for network access.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I use this combo alot and it great and all the only thing I have a problem with is the youtube videos on the itouch take forever to load up
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I currently use a Pre-Touch combo as well, but mostly only in order to buy iTunes songs that are cheaper than Amazon MP3 (which is rare but it happens) and download app updates (iTunes doesn't really trust my internet connection, despite that fact the Amazon likes to download tracks perfectly).

As for your question, the answer is YES! The external microphone will make your life easier. Personally I detest iTunes and iOS, but admittedly the hardware of the new iPod Touch is blissful.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I'm using a Pixi+iPhone4 combo. I planned to switch to the new iPod Touch before the reveal but neither the Pixi's 2MP camera or the iPod Touch's 0.7MP is good enough to use as point-and-shoot camera replacement so I'll wait for the next WebOS phone instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linger View Post
    I'm using a Pixi+iPhone4 combo. I planned to switch to the new iPod Touch before the reveal but neither the Pixi's 2MP camera or the iPod Touch's 0.7MP is good enough to use as point-and-shoot camera replacement so I'll wait for the next WebOS phone instead.
    How do you use your iPhone 4? Why get an iPod touch if you already have the phone?
    Can you do wifi tethering from a Pre/Pixi to an iPod touch?

If so, that might allow you to listen to radio broadcast streams that webOS doesn't support. (Believe I Heart Radio is free on the iPod touch).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    How do you use your iPhone 4? Why get an iPod touch if you already have the phone?
    I was looking at these two choices. The only downside of the iPhone 4 compared to the Touch 4G is:

- cost (~$600 w/o contact)
    - bigger size

The things you get with the iPhone 4 over the Touch are:

- GSM phone (would be nice for international ravel)
    - GPS
    - better still camera
    - maybe better battery life when you disable the phone
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post

If so, that might allow you to listen to radio broadcast streams that webOS doesn't support. (Believe I Heart Radio is free on the iPod touch).
    I'm pretty sure there is My Tether for Homebrewers. The Pre and Pixi Plus both have free WIFI Hotspot on Verizon. The Pre Plus Hotspot works very well with the Touch
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post

search forums for mobile hotspot. You can put it on a sprint Pre via homebrew, but not sprint pixi (no wifi).
    Quote Originally Posted by WDC44 View Post
    I used to carry a form of mp3 player around but why carry 2 devices when 1 can do it all?

Im completely content with carrying just my pixi. Zune, psp, nano, and gps now sit in random spots untouched.
    I prefer having a dedicated music device myself. My sansa is more rugged, and should something happen to it while working out, camping, whatever, it's a lot less expensive and less hassle to replace. It also does music, indexing, album art, etc much better than anything on WebOS right now, and is a better form factor for when I'm on the go.

Look into the rockbox firmware for any portable media player. Dealing with music on rockbox is a whole other world. Custom settings based on what I have it connected to, custom crossfades, dynamic playlists, mixers, etc. There's good reasons to have a dedicated device for some things.

Same with my camera. yeah, the phone works in a pinch, but the quality isn't as good, I can't take pictures fast enough, the phone isn't ruggedized so I can't mount it to my various helmets, or take it out on the water with me in my kayak, freeze it while snowboarding, etc.

I could play games on the sansa. And even view pictures on it. But I don't. That's where the pre or the camera is better. Right device for the job, ya know?
    : (){:|:&};:
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    I use the Palm Pixi for calls, sms, mail, twitter, rss, MyTether and, sometimes, podcasts. The WebOS notification system is so much better than what's available on stock iOS that the Palm Pixi makes for a better communications tool even without Visual Voicemail. I had jailbroken my iPhones and installed some of the better notification system replacements. GRiP (GRowl for iPhone) was really good (even though it never made it out of beta, was sometimes unstable and could be a pain to set up). There's a new notifications system, Notifier, but it's still working out the kinks... Anyway I got tired of all the jailbreaking drama and prefer the simpleness of Konami code + Preware.

I use the iPhone4 for the browser, ebooks, camera, maps, games and apps. The iPhone has the best mobile browser period which is why I can't give it up. The 'retina display' is awesome but even the iPhone 3GS provided a better browsing experience imo. I owned an iPhone 3G and then an iPhone 3GS before getting a Pixi (actually i got a Pre Plus before deciding I didn't like it and replacing it with a Pixi Plus and iPhone4) so I have a lot of apps accumulated over 2 years. Many of those apps have no WebOS substitute (or I prefer the iPhone hardware for playing them) so it's nice to keep an iOS device around.

I wanted to downgrade from the iPhone4 to the iPod Touch 4 because the iPod is significantly thinner and lighter than iPhone (and I could put the profit towards purchasing the next WebOS phone). The Pixi Plus and iPhone4 can't exactly fit inside on pocket. But I'll have to make do for now.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    OK. I've been playing with this combo for a few weeks now, and here is what I have to say now.

- I just can't stand the virtual keyboard on the Touch. I'm going to use the Pixi Plus for typing email, IM and notes.

- The bigger screen and faster processing makes me want to use the Touch for web surfing, reading email, music, etc. The 4g just makes it that even better.

- Using the two side by side really highights how inelegant iOS is compared to web OS, and I often get frustrated with iOS -- especially the multi-tasking. The iOS notifications are also obnoxious.

- On the other hand, the sluggishness of webOS really comes through when you use it next to iOS. I can't wait for some serious improvements there.

Bottom line is that I glad I went with a Pixi Plus instead of the iPhone, and the Touch complement pretty much gives me everything I would eve want from the iPhone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast