1.    #1  
    So I'm trying to like my new Pixi.

Sound's great, except that there isn't any.

If I get a call, I get a 400-decibel ringtone, but no sound unless I go to speakerphone.

Now, I know a lot of Pre owners had issues like that related to the switch believing they had a headset in.

I have NEVER put a headset in, or ran Pandora, or installed a MP3 to play in the media player.

If I use a broken cotton swab to probe the socket, it switches from a picture of a phone to a picture of a headset on the speaker button, so I guess the switch is right.

The volume buttons do nothing; volume's at highest setting.

Is there some Secret Phone Mute feature I'm missing?
    I had the same issue... but for me, I think it was caused by moving the little switch to silence the ringtone and then switching it back to normal

I tried the usual methods to fix for 3 days before taking to a Sprint store and they replaced the phone. Their report said the phone was replaced due to a hardware problem.

FWIW, I had experienced the usual issue about 3 or 4 times in 3 months - always after inserting headphones
    I had to have a pre replaced because the speaker quit working and it wasn't a "stuck in headset mode" issue.

Might be the case as the ring comes through the speaker phone speaker, which is an entirely separate speaker.
    it can be in headset mode even if you haven't plugged one in. I'm not saying that IS the problem, but don't assume it isn't.

Did you run the interactive diagnostics in the system app? That's always step one. Step two is a battery pull for 30 seconds. Step three is usually to call your carrier tech support line.

It is possible to have a speaker blown, and the interactive tests would confirm that for you.

Try those and let us know what happens.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hak Foo View Post
    So I'm trying to like my new Pixi.

Sound's great, except that there isn't any.

If I get a call, I get a 400-decibel ringtone, but no sound unless I go to speakerphone.

Now, I know a lot of Pre owners had issues like that related to the switch believing they had a headset in.

I have NEVER put a headset in, or ran Pandora, or installed a MP3 to play in the media player.

If I use a broken cotton swab to probe the socket, it switches from a picture of a phone to a picture of a headset on the speaker button, so I guess the switch is right.

The volume buttons do nothing; volume's at highest setting.

Is there some Secret Phone Mute feature I'm missing?
    I would suggest doing a webos doctor on the device. The problem is more internal, rather than external. Try all of the above suggested by other members first. If all fails, and problem still persist then do a webos doctor. Here is the link: Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals.

Best of luck.