Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    I think it is almost funny the people who think the kid will find a way around it so why bother?

I'll tell you why bother, because they are children and as parents it is our job to protect them. Regardless of whether we can protect them we should make every effort to do so. Will the eventually find what they want, see, hear, do things we don't want...absolutely. But that doesn't release us from our moral obligation to try and be the best parent we can be.

The OP didn't say she wasn't trying to teach her son not to view it, she didn't say she wasn't taking multiple approaches to explain why some of what is out there is wrong, she asked a community for help in finding a suggestion that would work.

I find it interesting that this community, which in general is incredibly helpful, understanding of the less technical, and incredibly innovative has seemed to take a step back on this one. A couple excellent suggestions were offered, but while the OP isn't capable of implementing them some of the responses were very uncharacteristic by this community.

Frankly I think the OP has stumbled onto a niche market that could potentially swell to millions of dollars in revenue as smart devices and tablets continue to proliferate. And it is one that I hope someone will take up the mantle for. At the same time it is something that I believe would be a differentiators for the carriers as well.

I'm very active in a number of large organizations targeted at youth and I intend to approach the carriers about offering some sort of capability. In my mind the most simple is selectable DNS giving the ability to say that phone X gets opendns, phone Y gets the standard. Something that based on my experience in the industry wouldn't be that difficult to implement (they have the capability today and do it), they could easily charge a few bucks a month for it, and they could position themselves not as guardians but as facilitators.

And beyond that, think about the ability to put in a custom DNS Server entry for your phone at the carrier level, actually some nice powerful capabilities.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by calesuar1 View Post
    Jeez, I can't believe I am the only parent concerned with this...
    calesuar1, you're not the only parent concerned with this aspect of teenagers in a world of smartphones. I too have a 15 yr. old boy who is getting my Pre when I upgrade to Palm's new device (no comments please on the whole Palm and new devices issue... I know, maybe there won't be a new device anytime before my son turns 18, and, well, problem solved).

My concern with him having my Pre is the same as yours, it's basically an open portal to all things on the web, good and bad. I've appreciated your question and the comments that have followed. I'm looking into some of the suggestions made here and hope to find a workable deterrent, knowing that for the the really persistent teenagers, there is likely no permanent solution.

Thanks for the question and thanks to those assisting with answers.
    Jeez, I can't believe I am the only parent concerned with this, and that there is no technical solution to it. I understand that for every action there is a reaction, so what, that has been life since inception. Do we continue to live in caves and throw arrows? I mean why cure Cancer, if some new bacteria or illness will be developed next? Since when knowing that some people will always find a way to override our best defenses prevented us from acting in the right direction, from finding better solutions, ever improving?

I highly doubt my son would be able to circumvent any good application designed only to allow the websites you'd indicate with an ok by entering a correct password. The idea here is the same as when we lock are cars; most will be deterred by that simple act. That's what I am looking for. Sure there will hard core thiefs who will stop at nothing, but I am not concerned about that with my son. I am looking for a good deterrent, that's all.
    Your not the only parent that struggles with this. It's an area i think the phone manufacturers have really missed, especially since the age of the average phone user seems to be getting younger every year. it would seem somebody would make a phone targeted to this market with parental controls, but I haven't found it unless you get them a dumb phone.
    Palm V > samsung i500> treo 650 > treo 755p> Centro> Pre
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I personally would like to see a solution as modeerf.

I think a common misconception here is the thinking that if it is easy to get around the parental controls there is probably no reason to do. There is always a reason to do it or at least try it.

Until we come up with a fool proof system, we use the browsing history/message history rules. Basically, I am allowed to view the phone (computer, PS3, etc.) histories any time I like, including photos, videos and whatnot. If I find objectionable content there is a loss of privileges. If I find deleted history there is a loss of privileges (thinking that something is being hidden). This is an openly discussed policy and both my children understand what "objectionable content" means.

On the other side, we, as previous teens, know they will find a way to look at what they want, we just shouldn't make it simple and painless.

For us, we feel it is better for our kids at their ages to educate on what is wrong and help them develop the self discipline and god centered beliefs to stay away from it rather than just blocking it. There are plenty of examples of poor moral choices to select from out there, just use some of those as examples when talking to your children.

I would still like to see a good technical solution for families that would like to provide their children with smart phones in regards to the web and objectionable content.
    Dan
    Your best bet is to wait for whenever Palm allows apps to access the "Default App List" so that a "safe" web browser can be built. The "safe" web browser could be built to only allow access to certain websites (password protected list) and there could even be instructions on how to patch the device to remove/hide the actual browser.

That is your best bet.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Best Solution, far and away, shut off the phone's internet. Texting and phone still work fine.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Jeez, I can't believe I am the only parent concerned with this, and that there is no technical solution to it. I understand that for every action there is a reaction, so what, that has been life since inception. Do we continue to live in caves and throw arrows?
    I agree with you completely and understand your frustration. I and several of my friends have webOS phones and all share your concerns at the lack of parental control options available to these and most other smartphones. I searched for a solution for two friends with teens for a couple of weeks but there just wasn't anything out there that would filter the negative content. This really is a webOS & Carrier issue IMHO. Our cell providers should have a proxy service that our additional lines can be hard-piped through. Granted, this doesn't stop availability of p*** app downloads from the app catalog, wifi access and BT tethering (when it becomes available) but it's a start. Palm/HP need to address parental controls on their mobile computing devices just as the video game console industry has since they have products that make great gaming/multimedia mobile devices. As far as our immediate concerns go, I think a dumb phone is our kids' only option until Palm/HP steps up development of those controls.
    Quote Originally Posted by wamiller View Post
    On my home computers I use OpenDNS.org for some control. Is there a way to use OpenDNS as the WebOS DNS?
    Good thought and I also thought about, but unsure how to manually force all DNS calls WIFI and Cell to OpenDNS's DNS1 and DNS2. Sorli...
    Again, you are not the only parent who worries about this (and I would also say I disagree that P*** doesn't hurt anyone. Kids are especially impressionable and immature, and sadly I've had friends where addiction to p*** has led to sad divorce, but enough with the preaching...).

As others have said, the best way to control this would be selective control via DNS. Basically you allow selected apps such as email, etc, and then you choose which websites you will allow through. It is easier to say what should pass through then which websites shouldn't.

Another idea is a service like a proxy server where the Pre connects through a P*** filtering proxy server. Parents could pay a monthly fee. That would probably be the ideal way.
    Yes, it is possible to not only block/control sites on the web, but also view statistics. You can do this with OpenDNS. It's a publicly available service (free for minimal options but they charge for additional options - although they're nice enough to offer the basic blocking features for free). How it works is you'll need to change the DNS servers on the Pre to query the OpenDNS servers instead of the ones that come configured on your phone. Now, instead of the phone looking up a p*rn server's IP from the standard DNS servers, it will look it up on OpenDNS' DNS servers and reply back with an IP that directs them to a blocked site. Please note, that although these steps are not terribly difficult, it does involve some knowledge with linux and you will need to root your phone. What you would need to do and know are a few things:

- Configure Dynamic DNS for your Pre

To configure Dynamic DNS on your Pre, I found this website:

Just start at the topic which states "Step by Steps to Setup Dynamic DNS for your Palm Pre":

How to SSH into Your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!

- Go to the OpenDNS site and register for the free service.
    - Once registered, you can select the type of websites to block and/or add specific ones. Please note, that OpenDNS works great for static IPs, but since the Pre gets a new IP address every so often, you'll need to configure Dynamic DNS (another free service) on your phone so OpenDNS can know what phone it is.

To do that, go to the OpenDNS site here:

OpenDNS > Support > Dynamic IP Info > Dynamic IP: General Info

and follow the links on how to configure OpenDNS with Dynamic DNS.

Just another note: if your son goes wifi on a network not registered with OpenDNS, he will gain access to some sites which you may have blocked, since the wifi IP address will be different from the one you register with OpenDNS. Although the OpenDNS servers will block most p*rn sites as a default config (if anyone points their DNS servers to theirs), however, if you block anything else, they will now have access to it again.
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by sf_basilix; 09/01/2010 at 11:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    @calesuar1 You mentioned the option of maybe removing the browser. I took this route and it worked great, even through a webOS update or two(until the most recent update which undid my changes, i have to go in and do it again.)

I don't have an easy way to get this done, I've requested patches and such from the webOS internals but they are working on some other stuff for all of us. I'll give you the link where I found what I needed and wish you luck in applying it to your sons phone.

(It won't let me include links so forgive this crude link-workaround)
    insert www then: webos-internals.org/wiki/Patch_Launcher_Hide-Delete_The_NASCAR_App

They explain how to remove the nascar, sprint, etc. The last part they explain how to remove any app that one wants.

It did take me a little bit of time, but I removed the browser, youtube, sprintTV apps which were in my opinion dangerous. All the other apps seemed to work just fine in accessing their internet needs (feed readers, app catalog, preware, email, etc)

feel free to pm me...though i don't check them very often.

Good Luck!
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Thanks sf_basilix. Maybe a dumb question but... could a patch or application be created which does this for the user? Maybe someone could create one for OpenDNS and then it could be tweaked for other popular DNS providers?
    I don't doubt that this can be done through an app + patch to webOS. I can even envision the UI. If I had more time on my hands I would try to develop this for you, so I apologize. I would suggest going to the webos developers forum or app/patch forum and put in a request there. There might be someone available with a few more cycles than myself to get it started.

Don't forget that you could also give feedback to palm at http://www.palm.com/feedback. Who knows, if they have enough time, and enough requests, they may even include it in 2.0. ...here's to hoping....
    I'm in a similar situation, and I would love to have an software approach to handling this problem. Until something is available, I'm hoping to address it by telling my child that I will be able to see a list of every website they visit. That should be enough. It probably would even be enough for an adult who might be tempted at work to know that their manager would be getting a list of all websites visited each day by their employees.

For the PC, I think there is router-based software that emails lists of visited websites to a designated email address, i.e. a parent. It's possible that an app like this could be developed more easily than a blocker. I think what you're really asking for is something I think is called a "white list", a list of allowed websites as opposed to a list of blocked websites which is basically hopeless. CyberPatrol has this for the PC. I'm not sure why something similar couldn't be developed for smartphones.
    Does Sprint not offer age appropriate content filters or do they just not work with the Palm data? I know that Verizon offers age based content filter options at no additional charge that they say will effect internet data as well as their other content sources such as V CAST.

Maybe as a less technical option you could look into switching carriers. Though you may want to contact a rep first to verify that the filters do work properly for palm internet data especially if that was the problem with Sprint.
    Now to reiterate your request... These types of services are available on WinMo, iOS, android, symbian, and blackberry. It would be nice for our beloved WebOS community to help parents choose WebOS for their kids, by providing the absolute best in apps, even tho we don't have the most apps.

Parental Control checklist:
    1) Whitelist for Internet sites (blacklists don't work, there are too many)
    2) Whitelist for Phone numbers to call and text (basic feature phones do this)
    3) Record text messages both to and from for parental review (smobilesystems does this for the other smartphones and has for years) Its an incredible deterrent.
    4) block/allow data by app
    5) MMS monitoring

Thanks for listening.
    Keith
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/01/2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: removed OT content
    I know symantec has some av products for some smart phones and applications like that are coming. Just like pc's it's taking time for the rest of th world to catch up on the security front. I'd approach sprint again about content filtering on their end, see if you can get a palm rep on the phone or email to discuss parental controls or building a whitelist (with password) option on the phone. I imagine it can't be that hard to do a dns whitelist right on the phone for palm.

It's gunna be a battle when my two boys get that old. Good luck
    The OP isn't looking for parenting advice he is looking for ways to restrict web traffic on webOS devices. Please keep things on topic or take it to the Off Topic forum.

Thanks all
    RyleyinSTL
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/01/2010 at 03:39 PM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I haven't seen any way to filter content. The only option I could think of when we had ths question recently wat to not give my kids a smartphone. I only say that because it would have been a waste of money to pay for a data plan and then just shut off all web access.

I looked in to this last year when our oldest bought a cell phone. I can go in to my verizon account and shut off all access to the web, but it doesn't get any more granular than that. Because of that we just had her get a text-only phone.

There was a middle ground of a phone that had email without web for $10/month more, but she only uses facebook so email isnt something she would use.

In the process I was amazed at how poor Verizon's parental controls are compared to AT&T because I was also looking for stuff like blocking calls after a certain number of minutes were used. All they can do is have a txt message sent when a number is reached.

So, I'll be interested to see if there are useful parental controls for android or ios. Since we have to be on verizon, or final choice was to go with a dumb phone, realizing that she can always use her friend's iphone if she wanted to. But at least she wasn't paying for a data plan.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I looked in to this last year when our oldest bought a cell phone. I can go in to my verizon account and shut off all access to the web, but it doesn't get any more granular than that. Because of that we just had her get a text-only phone.

There was a middle ground of a phone that had email without web for $10/month more, but she only uses facebook so email isnt something she would use.

In the process I was amazed at how poor Verizon's parental controls are compared to AT&T because I was also looking for stuff like blocking calls after a certain number of minutes were used. All they can do is have a txt message sent when a number is reached.

So, I'll be interested to see if there are useful parental controls for android or ios. Since we have to be on verizon, or final choice was to go with a dumb phone, realizing that she can always use her friend's iphone if she wanted to. But at least she wasn't paying for a data plan.
    Then Verizon has apparently increased their services by a lot since you last looked into that.

I'm looking at their content control options right now under Safe Guards > Parental Controls. They have a free Content Filters service described, "Protect your family with age appropriate content filters for music, videos, and the internet." The View/Edit link shows each line and the filter settings for each with a description of each filter option and a link to change the filter settings. The options are Ages C7+, Ages T13+, Ages YA17+, Filter Off. None of that requires an additional service fee.

They also have a Usage Control option that requires and additional fee per line that allows you to control Voice & Messaging Allowances, Restrict usage based on time of day for voice, msg, and data, set specific number blocks for voice and text, and set trusted numbers that will bypass time of day usage restrictions.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast