1.    #1  
    I really like the pixi's size and feel and really don't like the Pre's size and feel.
    I use the sprint network and WiFi is not really a make or break deal for me.
    What may be is gaming. I read must older posts about the Pixi being unable to play a lot of 3d games and am wondering how that has been coming along. Will all 3d games be playable on the pixi eventually? is the different screen size the main issue?
    I will be developing some basic 2d Apps just to play around. As far as 2d goes are they both compatible?
    And homebrew and overclocking on the two?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/30/2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: title updated
    The Pixi is still far behind for having games brought over to it. Eventually, more PDK games should be available for that device, but right now gaming is limited due mainly to the differences in resolution between the devices. There is definitely more development for the Pre than Pixi but yes, you can oveclock a Pixi also. As far as game compatibility goes, not all games are available for both devices. You will need to check the app catalog for compatibility.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I got the sprint pixi because the price was right, free and I've been a huge palm fan since my first PDA device. My prior phone was the 755p, which I paid 200dollars for. This phone blows that away. I'm not a gaming freak though, solitaire and a few other simple games is all I play on my phone. I have a business and palm is the best for organizing contacts and calendar events and alarms. It really is one of the best phones for that type thing. The homebrew stuff is terrific. What an awesome community of developers and users. :grin
    I went from a Pre to a Pixi Plus, and I love it. I've owed a lot of phones, and this is my second favorite, next to the old Samsung A500 that came out 10 years ago (long outdated, but ahead of its time). The pixi is better at being a phone...and after all...that is what it is supposed to be first. I'm not a gamer, and the only game I play is card ace blackjack and poker. The Pre is indeed a great phone, and I fell in love with Palm's webOS using it. However, after 8 months of use, the slide starts to feel loose, and overall....the Pixi just seems more solid with tighter tolerances. The Pixi is easier for one-handed operation as well. I guess the smaller screen doesn't bother me, and I like the candy bar design better. My pixi plus is faster than my pre, but this is due to the Verizon 3g network versus the sprint 3g in my area. I haven't tried opening multiple apps to try and get the lag some speak of; I'm talking, texting, or just playing cardace, and it has done those things well, and in a smaller, neater package than my pre. Hope that helps...
    With the Pixi, you get a lot of phone for the price. If you're on Sprint, webOS 1.4.5 is a huge plus too.
    The Pixi gets a lot of bad wrap, but I love it. I had two Pre's that failed due to the slider issue. While I loved the Pre's and miss the larger screen, the Pixi is a much more reliable device and easier to use one handed. All of the talk of Pixi's being a crappy phone is bull. It runs just as well as the Pre, better in some areas, a bit slower in others. Yes there is no WiFi for the original Pixi, but this is no big deal to me. Another consideration is the 3MP camera versus the 2MP camera. Not a big deal to me since I hardly use the camera

Watch this guys' videos to see the Pixi and Pre go side by side:
    Another nice video comparison is hers:
    A sample of 3D gaming can be found here:

I have about 15 games on my phone, with two 3D racing games that I play regularly. Every once in a while I get a bit of delay, but the games run great on my Pixi. What is annoying is that some of the makers are releasing Pre only apps, where's the love
    Last edited by davecttt; 08/29/2010 at 04:23 PM.
    Loving my Pixi. Yes I am a guy and own a Pixi, get over it.

I've been wanting to purchase a pixi or pixi plus but dunno where to get one. Anyone knows where in Asia this is available?

Just like the post above, I just need it as a phone and not for the games.
  8.    #8  
    So I decided to go with the Pixi over the Pre; grabbed on for sprint off ebay ($112). All cables and manuals in box; I thought it was a pretty good deal. Anyway, I was wondering about whether there was any way to get the sprint phone to cross over to verizon as I may be switching in the future. It's not big deal if it can't, just curious. I saw theres a verizon radio you can put into it for wifi. Would it then work on verizon? or no because all the serials are built into the motherboard?
    Where would I find the verizon radio board to make the phone have wifi?
    Lastly, what apps should I check out first for user interface moding?
    What exactly does homebrew allow me to do?
    I'm researching preware so no need to suggest that.
    Thanks
    Last edited by mobone; 08/29/2010 at 11:20 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks guys, decided to go with the pixi. $112 off ebay (America). The Pre just seemed too bulky and the keyboard seemed cramped with the surrounding edging.
    <<threads merged - title updated>>
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Since you asked about homebrew....

Homebrew and the idea behind it is that you don't NEED a company to write an application that runs on WebOS. You also don't need to submit the app, and jump through ANY hoops to write an app. So, if you can write an app that works, shouldn't you be able to just make it available DIRECTLY to other people, and have them use it?

With Homebrew, you have two main areas, patches that alter how you use WebOS, and apps. The vast majority are free, with others that are simply pre-release quality that you can get because there are still some rough edges that the author wants to improve before selling the app.

With Homebrew, you have two primary ways to install. You either use WebOS Quick Install to install the app, or you use Preware, which acts like a second "app store" type application where you pick what you want from the app, and the app does all the work. Preware really is your best bet since you get all the functionality that will let you install, uninstall, or update your "homebrew" content directly.

One thing that really improves devices is UberKernel, which will let you overclock your phone up to 1GHz(or lower since you can select the speed you want), and Govnah to control it. It really surprises some people how much of an improvement overclocking can provide. Those who pass over the Palm devices because they don't run as fast as the 1GHz speed you see hyped for the top end phones out there would be shocked to see how EASY it is to clock our phones to 1GHz. One warning though, if your phone is on the charger, it will run at the slower speed, which will let you recover if your particular phone can't handle the 1GHz speed. So if overclocking stops your phone from working, plug it in to the wall charger(or Touchstone), and then when you boot up, you can either reduce the overclock to a slower speed, or remove UberKernel, which will remove the overclocking and SHOULD fix your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    Since you asked about homebrew....

Homebrew and the idea behind it is that you don't NEED a company to write an application that runs on WebOS. You also don't need to submit the app, and jump through ANY hoops to write an app. So, if you can write an app that works, shouldn't you be able to just make it available DIRECTLY to other people, and have them use it?

With Homebrew, you have two main areas, patches that alter how you use WebOS, and apps. The vast majority are free, with others that are simply pre-release quality that you can get because there are still some rough edges that the author wants to improve before selling the app.

With Homebrew, you have two primary ways to install. You either use WebOS Quick Install to install the app, or you use Preware, which acts like a second "app store" type application where you pick what you want from the app, and the app does all the work. Preware really is your best bet since you get all the functionality that will let you install, uninstall, or update your "homebrew" content directly.

One thing that really improves devices is UberKernel, which will let you overclock your phone up to 1GHz(or lower since you can select the speed you want), and Govnah to control it. It really surprises some people how much of an improvement overclocking can provide. Those who pass over the Palm devices because they don't run as fast as the 1GHz speed you see hyped for the top end phones out there would be shocked to see how EASY it is to clock our phones to 1GHz. One warning though, if your phone is on the charger, it will run at the slower speed, which will let you recover if your particular phone can't handle the 1GHz speed. So if overclocking stops your phone from working, plug it in to the wall charger(or Touchstone), and then when you boot up, you can either reduce the overclock to a slower speed, or remove UberKernel, which will remove the overclocking and SHOULD fix your problem.
    Can't OC the Pixi dude. Uberkernel only adds Compcache.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobone View Post
    I really like the pixi's size and feel and really don't like the Pre's size and feel.
    I use the sprint network and WiFi is not really a make or break deal for me.
    What may be is gaming. I read must older posts about the Pixi being unable to play a lot of 3d games and am wondering how that has been coming along. Will all 3d games be playable on the pixi eventually? is the different screen size the main issue?
    I will be developing some basic 2d Apps just to play around. As far as 2d goes are they both compatible?
    And homebrew and overclocking on the two?
    Thank you.
    You can add wifi to it
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
  14.    #14  
    I did see that. Any idea of where to find the verizon board? Get lucky with an ebay as-is broken verizon pixi?