Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    how much improvement are we looking at? where will I most likely see the improvements? do websites render faster, for example?
    Nah, you see it more so in the launcher, app opening speeds and such.
    Verizon Pixi Plus on 1.4.5 w/ Preware
    scrolling, opening apps, etc. You really need to read the sticky uberkernel thread to be sure you have a clear understanding of the risks, benefits, and process, imho
  4. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    scrolling, opening apps, etc. You really need to read the sticky uberkernel thread to be sure you have a clear understanding of the risks, benefits, and process, imho
    Which forum is the sticky in? Sorry, probably a stupid question
  5. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkr View Post
    Nevermind, found it. I understand the risks, the sticky just reiterated the things I already knew. I'm not sure if speeding up scrolling in the launcher is worth the time and effort, I was hoping for faster web rendering :P
    ok. You may also see some speed improvement in the browser. The thing I found helps that the most is the patch that turns off auto-refresh of the browser. That way they can load and stay loaded in the background. That doesn't have anything to do with overclocking, btw. But, page load times can be impacted by processor speed, just as they can on a pc. Of course network speed has a greater impact, but it all helps.

that said, I'm going to assume that you have read up on and are using preware already. If so, here is the main thread on uberkernel. The devs that created it monitor it so it is also the best place to post questions:
    Last edited by Workerb33; 08/23/2010 at 07:52 PM.
    install the kernel and find out for yourself , for about one week . then uninstall and you will wine about how slow it really is without the kernel installed lol .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Nevermind, found it. I understand the risks, the sticky just reiterated the things I already knew. I'm not sure if speeding up scrolling in the launcher is worth the time and effort, I was hoping for faster web rendering :P
    It takes a whole 5 minutes to set it up, and it is deffinitely worth your time!
    It cant speed up the browser ,uch bc its all really dependent on your connection.
    When I use wifi I see a speed increase there as well!
    Its definitely worth it
  9. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Ok, you guys have convinced me to give it a shot. I will do it after my phone is done charging
    good man!
    I started w/ UK and and noticed "ok this sped it up and not as much lag, NIce!" Then I got ballsy a couple of weeks later and installed F105...
    OMG!!!!!! holy smokes! I cant stand my pre without it, IMO it make UK look slow!
    Im an F105 advocate now! (and its just as easy to install as the UK [if you set up your testing feeds in preware])
  11. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    is f105 available for the pixi?
    It just makes everything run smoother. Its one of those things you wouldn't really notice until you don't have it anymore. I had to install it on my daughter's Pixi because I couldn't use her's without it.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    read up on how all his impacts the pixi because it is different than the pre. It's easy and cool, but you have to do the prep reading...
  14. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    While UberKernel is available for the Pixi/Pixi+, it is very limited in what it can do. There is very little information available to the public on the design of the CPU in the Pixi/Pixi+. There is no Over Clocking of the Pixi's kernel available at this time. Only the following features are available to Pixi/Pixi+ Users:

Application:UberKernel - WebOS Internals

So now I'm wondering where the improvement comes from for Pixi users
    the improvement has to do with something called compache or something like it. Search for uberkernal on pixi and you will find people saying it stikk improves speed. The WebOS Internals developers can better answer your questions in the uberkernel thread. But not until you've done your reading...

peace out
    if you haven't installed UK do it. it's safe and easy. it makes everything run faster, even loading web pages. want pages to load even faster, than install the "ad blocker" patch.
    While UberKernel is available for the Pixi/Pixi+, it is very limited in what it can do. There is very little information available to the public on the design of the CPU in the Pixi/Pixi+. There is no Over Clocking of the Pixi's kernel available at this time. Only the following features are available to Pixi/Pixi+ Users:

Application:UberKernel - WebOS Internals

So now I'm wondering where the improvement comes from for Pixi users
    Memory is an issue on both the Sprint Pre (non-plus) and the Pixi. UK changes the memory management in at least two ways:
    - It changes the calculation of how much memory is available to include the swap space. That allows more cards to be opened. I believe that change is essentially risk-free.
    - It provides the capability to use "compcache" which takes a portion of the RAM (the size is configurable) and compresses it, like a .zip file. This effectively provides some expansion of the memory, and it's quite fast, so there is very little penalty. It can only be used for applications, however, so if it's too big, it can squeeze some of the core functionality into swap space, which will slow everything down. 16MB is a pretty safe size, and although it doesn't seem very big, it is a pretty big increase in available memory, since so much is used in just running the phone (~190MB).

I believe users report a speedier Pixi because the above changes decrease the likelihood the Pixi will go into a swapping state (like using an old Windows machine without enough memory). (Some users may also be relating their experiences on the Pre where you can overclock, and some others may be caught up in the "OMG! Uberkernel is SO AWESOME!" feeling around here.) So even though you can't overclock the Pixi, UK is still beneficial. One caveat: 1.4.5 did do something with memory--pdk apps don't produce the TMC error anymore--so the effect may be less noticeable now, but I do think it would still be there.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  18. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Should I use the Fixed Speed Profile in Govnah, or is there a better config?
    Should I use the Fixed Speed Profile in Govnah, or is there a better config?
    I recommend using the default scaling governor, though there may be a slight speed advantage to using fixed 600MHz, it's likely to impact battery life negatively, but I don't have any experience or test data to back that up on the Pixi.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Hmm. Well I tried UberKernal on the Pixi and loved the speed - but it seemed to use battery life faster than I would like. (ondemand 600mhz 24MB cache) I went through 10% in 20 min of browsing through preware at the lowest screen brightness... (GPS and Bluetooth off) That is something that I can't live with. I can wait on programs to open.

So ive called in "the Doctor". Gonna start anew since I just swapped my Pre for the Pixi Saturday...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast