Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1. doctj's Avatar
    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hi All
    I'm planning on buying a phone for my son and considering a pixi vs an android phone. I have a pre that he navigates without much difficulty so I don't think he'll have difficulty actually using the phone. My questions are: is it stable enough on day to day use and durable? Thanks for any and all input.
  2. #2  
    My 13 and 10 year olds both have a Pixi+ and they love them. They havent managed to break anything yet and since they already knew how to use WebOS from my Pre it was quite easy teaching them how to do what.
    Melissa
    Cingular Razr > TMobile Blackberry Curve 8300 > Sprint Palm Centro > Sprint Blackberry Curve 8320 > Sprint Blackberry Curve 8530 > Sprint Palm Pre > Verizon Pixi +
  3. #3  
    my eighteen yr old girl has a pixie,we are talking over 12,000 text a month. That's not counting everything else she does with the phone. Almost a yr now and it has stood up to her heavy heavy usage.
  4. #4  
    I talked my sister into getting a Pixi for my niece (13yr old). When I saw her last week and asked her if she liked it, she was raving about how much she loved it and how her friends were asking their parents to get one. It's a great little phone - especially for heavy texting kids.
  5. #5  
    ...

    also, kep in mind another thread around here that points out that the android market doesn't restrict 'adult' content
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/16/2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Off topic
  6. #6  
    I'm 13 and have a Pre Plus. I'm sick of it. We can't afford a laptop, so we ordered an iPad (We don't use PC's!). It hasn't come yet. So, when I can't use the family Mac, I have to use my phone for internet. It just doesn't work well. If your child wants to quickly research something for class, I doubt the Pixi will do well. For Christmas of 2011 I'm do for an upgrade. A new phone, probably an Android phone, will be one of my presents.

    If all your child wants to do is text, go ahead and get the Pixi, but you could just get a texting phone like the Samsung Reality.

    I'm a huge techie and phone obsessed, I even take computer classes at school lol.

    It all depends on what your child wants to do with his phone.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

    Here to help and learn
  7. anifan's Avatar
    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #7  
    I would definitely recommend the Pixi. That ringer switch is extremely convenient for classes, and the screen beats most dedicated messenger phones. Also, the school I go to uses an electronic gradebook, and the Pixi's browser would make accessing that very easy if it's available at your child's school (it really is quite good, I haven't had any problems with it).

    Also, email rocks for teacher-student communication.
    Last edited by anifan; 08/15/2010 at 04:53 PM. Reason: I wanted to improve my opinion
  8. preryan's Avatar
    Posts
    250 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    #8  
    .....

    @SmoothCriminal I use my Pre to look things up on the internet all the time but if you have a project that requires heavy internet use, I don't think any phone will fit the bill. For that, break out the PC (or Mac in your case)
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/16/2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Off Topic
  9. #9  
    My first phone was a basic slider.
    My second was a touch screen phone that slid to the side for texting. It was OK. It was called the Samsung Rogue.

    This may make me spoiled, but I begged for a smartphone. I just LOVE technology, and I don't think thats necessarily a bad thing. Instead of doing something stupid, I'm actually learning. That's good, right? So I eventually convinced my dad to get me a Pre Plus.

    I've had alotta issues with the Pre Plus, but my parents have given me enough, so I'm not gonna ask for a new phone until my upgrade is do.

    I remember there was this one kid in my grade who got an iPhone in 3rd grade. At the time I didn't really know what an iPhone is, neither did my friends. And I don't suggest giving kids phones in 3rd grade lol.

    If you think your child will use the phone for the right things, get him the phone. But I can almost guarantee, the Pixi will have issues.

    And, are you getting a Pixi or Pixi Plus? What carrier? Cuz if it's a Verizon Pixi Plus, let me just tell you, their data plans are SUPER expensive. I believe all smartphones are required to get $30 data plan. And Verizon doesn't give a crap about people with Palm phones. It's really annoying.

    Good luck.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

    Here to help and learn
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Hi All
    I'm planning on buying a phone for my son and considering a pixi vs an android phone. I have a pre that he navigates without much difficulty so I don't think he'll have difficulty actually using the phone. My questions are: is it stable enough on day to day use and durable? Thanks for any and all input.
    NO! If your son is a tech person, he probably is going to get frustrated with the Pixi because the phone can barely handle the OS. It would probably be best if you just get him a Pre+ or one of the newer Android phones.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    NO! If your son is a tech person, he probably is going to get frustrated with the Pixi because the phone can barely handle the OS. It would probably be best if you just get him a Pre+ or one of the newer Android phones.
    Dude's right.

    Take it from someone your sons age, the Pixi will give you endless issues.
  12. giggles's Avatar
    Posts
    677 Posts
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    My first phone was a basic slider.
    My second was a touch screen phone that slid to the side for texting. It was OK. It was called the Samsung Rogue.

    This may make me spoiled, but I begged for a smartphone. I just LOVE technology, and I don't think thats necessarily a bad thing. Instead of doing something stupid, I'm actually learning. That's good, right? So I eventually convinced my dad to get me a Pre Plus.

    I've had alotta issues with the Pre Plus, but my parents have given me enough, so I'm not gonna ask for a new phone until my upgrade is do.

    I remember there was this one kid in my grade who got an iPhone in 3rd grade. At the time I didn't really know what an iPhone is, neither did my friends. And I don't suggest giving kids phones in 3rd grade lol.

    If you think your child will use the phone for the right things, get him the phone. But I can almost guarantee, the Pixi will have issues.

    And, are you getting a Pixi or Pixi Plus? What carrier? Cuz if it's a Verizon Pixi Plus, let me just tell you, their data plans are SUPER expensive. I believe all smartphones are required to get $30 data plan. And Verizon doesn't give a crap about people with Palm phones. It's really annoying.

    Good luck.
    Um... your points are very critical.

    Everyon here pays about 30$ for there data plan and expects that and the pixi certianly dosent have any problems from regular use. best texting phone out there with facebook built right it. and who does hardcore research on a phone no phone would provide that.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    Dude's right.

    Take it from someone your sons age, the Pixi will give you endless issues.
    What kind of issues are you talking about? I have a Palm Pre and love the damn thing. Wouldn't give it up for an Android or iPhone any day, even with its hardware restrictions. I've never owned a Pixi but cant imagine its so bad that its going to give him ENDLESS issues.

    And what does age have to do with how you would like a phone? A 13 year old should be grateful to even have a phone in the first place, let alone a phone running webOS. So its not the best, it doesn't have to be.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    What kind of issues are you talking about? I have a Palm Pre and love the damn thing. Wouldn't give it up for an Android or iPhone any day, even with its hardware restrictions. I've never owned a Pixi but cant imagine its so bad that its going to give him ENDLESS issues.

    And what does age have to do with how you would like a phone? A 13 year old should be grateful to even have a phone in the first place, let alone a phone running webOS. So its not the best, it doesn't have to be.
    I used to own a Pixi, It is so slow!! I didn't say switch to android, I said to chose between the Pre plus or a newer android phone. Which means get him a powerful phone.

    And teenagers seem to have shorter level of patience, so for him to be waiting for the Pixi to perform task like listing to music and text will probably make him frustrated. And cut that age crap out. He's in middle school, as long as he is responsible he can have a phone.
  15. #15  
    The OP had the question of Pixi vs. an Android phone, NOT Pixi vs having a smartphone at all.

    Android > Pixi.

    You didn't specify which Android phone you are thinking of, but I assume you are on Sprint because you didn't specify the phone being a "Plus" model. Odds are that the Android phone you choose will be more powerful and relevant than the Pixi. If it doesn't have a hardware keyboard, that's just less parts that could potentially fail.
  16. #16  
    I tried to get my kids to buy the Pixi. They mowed lawns all summer and bought the Hero. It had more apps and that is what they want.
  17. #17  
    You can add extra smart phones to Sprint's Everything Data Family Share plans for $20.00/per month. That is the same price as any other phone. I'd get my kids a Pixi over a Pre simply because it would be a more durable form factor. It may not be as fast as some smart phones out there but most kids around here have texting phones without real browsers anyway so as a teen, I would just be thrilled to have a phone with a real browser.
  18. #18  
    Did the person who asked the question every write back? Or did we scare her off lol?
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

    Here to help and learn
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    Did the person who asked the question every write back? Or did we scare her off lol?
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    The OP had the question of Pixi vs. an Android phone, NOT Pixi vs having a smartphone at all.
    Exactly.....clearly some of you get how this works....please keep the thread on topic.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    Dude's right.

    Take it from someone your sons age, the Pixi will give you endless issues.
    In your entire argument you haven't listed a single issue you have had with the Pre or Pixi.

    When bashing something don't just say "it sux" say why exactly.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/16/2010 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary insult.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions