Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I used to own a Pixi, It is so slow!! I didn't say switch to android, I said to chose between the Pre plus or a newer android phone. Which means get him a powerful phone.

And teenagers seem to have shorter level of patience, so for him to be waiting for the Pixi to perform task like listing to music and text will probably make him frustrated. And cut that age crap out. He's in middle school, as long as he is responsible he can have a phone.
    My comment wasn't directed at you.

My first phone was a Virgin Mobile Oyster. I was excited to even get ringtones on the thing. You missed the point of my response. It was that a 13 year olds first phone doesn't need to be the best of the best. While i agree with you that the Palm Pre Plus is a much better phone to get him, he should be grateful hes getting a phone at all.

If the kid is a 'techie', he'll be all over this forum learning how to apply new overclocked kernals. :P

BUT to answer the OP. Get him a Palm Pre Plus. It isn't much more money and the hardware is better than the pixi.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    I'm 13 and have a Pre Plus.
    Dude's right.

Take it from someone your sons age, the Pixi will give you endless issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    In your entire argument you haven't listed a single issue you have had with the Pre or Pixi.

When bashing something don't just say "it sux" say why exactly.
    She does not have a Pixi. Nuff said!
    I am a very active 14 year old and mine has taken the use (and abuse ) that I have thrown at it over my 6-7 months of owning it. It is a really good phone, as long as he has some sort of screen protector or a hip case so it doesn't get scratched in his pocket.
    webOSroundup and Project Macaw contributor
    Remember, if I helped you, please click on the little or ♥ to the right
    just make sure he doesn't tell his friends that it is called the Pixi, or he will get beat up every day. Tell them it's the "pixMonster" or some other "manly" name.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    just make sure he doesn't tell his friends that it is called the Pixi, or he will get beat up every day. Tell them it's the "pixMonster" or some other "manly" name.
    LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    LMAO!
    Melissa
    Cingular Razr > TMobile Blackberry Curve 8300 > Sprint Palm Centro > Sprint Blackberry Curve 8320 > Sprint Blackberry Curve 8530 > Sprint Palm Pre > Verizon Pixi +
    My wife switched to an Android phone so I was thinking about passing her Pre to my 10yo daughter, but I want her to have a phone with 2days of battery life, just in case. I decided to keep her on a feature phone.

-Jay
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Thanks for all your comments. I'm on AT&T and I've reviewed available messaging phones on their website. The problem is the messaging plans start at $20/mo while a pixi plus data plan starts at $15 plus $5 messaging. Plus the browsing experience is better on the pixi +than those phones, it has wifi and it's currently free.
    My son does chores for his allowance and saves most of his money but I won't saddle him with the cost of a phone as we're buying it more for my wife and I's peace of mind than his.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    Thanks for all your comments. I'm on AT&T and I've reviewed available messaging phones on their website. The problem is the messaging plans start at $20/mo while a pixi plus data plan starts at $15 plus $5 messaging. Plus the browsing experience is better on the pixi +than those phones, it has wifi and it's currently free.
    My son does chores for his allowance and saves most of his money but I won't saddle him with the cost of a phone as we're buying it more for my wife and I's peace of mind than his.
    sounds like a good idea to me.
    I'm 13 and have a Pre Plus. I'm sick of it. We can't afford a laptop, so we ordered an iPad (We don't use PC's!). It hasn't come yet. So, when I can't use the family Mac, I have to use my phone for internet. It just doesn't work well. If your child wants to quickly research something for class, I doubt the Pixi will do well. For Christmas of 2011 I'm do for an upgrade. A new phone, probably an Android phone, will be one of my presents.

If all your child wants to do is text, go ahead and get the Pixi, but you could just get a texting phone like the Samsung Reality.

I'm a huge techie and phone obsessed, I even take computer classes at school lol.

It all depends on what your child wants to do with his phone.
    No phone is actually meant for any heavy research or even medium research, if you have any sort of real project its just not good to use any mobile phone.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/20/2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Removed slightly insulting paragraph
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    No phone is actually meant for any heavy research or even medium research, if you have any sort of real project its just not good to use any mobile phone.
    Exactly.

My pres perfect for finding me information quickly. I wouldn't dream of doing a whole report for it, it's ridiculous to even think about it. I think you got a mobile phone expecting it to compare to computer, instead of a phone.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/20/2010 at 05:53 PM.
    I'm a teenager and have a Palm Pixi+. I've had it for a few months all ready and use it constantly to text, browse the internet, play games, check email, pretty much everything, and I haven't had any problems. I've found that it does slow down if you have several browser cards open, but that's not really a huge problem to me. I've never broken a phone so maybe I can't tell exactly how durable it is, but it seems pretty good to me. My younger brother dropped it once, but it was fine, without even a scratch. Even though it's so thin, it feels pretty sturdy to me as well.

Personally, I don't know of a better phone out there than a Palm, because I just really like the simple and user-friendly software and design, but everyone likes different phones. I think you should have him look at all the phones features on the palm website, which has some pretty good videos as well showcasing the phone. I researched phones for about a month before I decided to choose the Pixi, which I'm glad about because without researching them I might have easily wasted my money on another smartphone that I didn't like as much as the Pixi.

By the way, I'm also a big tech person, and I enjoy this phone very much. My biggest complaint is just that the new update isn't out for Verizon yet so I have no 3-D gaming
    On a side note, phone should get significantly faster once the 2.0 update comes in fall...
    I got a free Pixi+ for my 13yo son at the same time I bought a Pre+ when they both came out on Verizon in January. He had had a dumbphone for a year prior to this, ever since he started being places without his parents (friend's houses, after school activities) where occasionally we needed to contact him to coordinate schedules if someone was running late, for example.

He's very into technology, and makes fairly extensive use of his phone for checking the internet or playing with apps. He has a laptop for school work (ok, and games), and having the free mobile hotspot feature on Verizon has helped him on some long car trips.

I felt a little bad when Verizon made the Pre+ a BOGO also, thinking he could have got a free Pre+ if we had waited, since he was a little disappointed to learn the Pixi can't play 3D games. However, he still says he likes the phone a lot, and hopefully the 1.4.5 WebOS update will make some of those 3D games playable for him.

He can be hard on equipment: he broke the Pixi screen in May by having it in an outer pocket of a backpack that banged against a table, and later got the replacement wet during a visit to Seaworld. Fortunately, the phone dried out and kept on working!
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    I don't know what these people are talking about. I had a tmobile g1 before my pixie, modded out with cyanogen mod. I loved android, but got tired of tmobile. When I switched to verizon the pixie was free, so that's what I got, and I love it. It's not quite as feature rich as and android phone, but it still kicks ****, and is a great deal. Mibe hardly ever lags, and will glitch from time to time, but all in all it's a really reliabke phone, and is great for any snart phone user.
    I haven't read the whole thread, so I may be repetitious, but the pixi is great for youngsters, especially for social networking. Just make sure you get a hard case that conforms tightly, it seems to help with the whole rubber separating from the back cover issue.
    Ok,
    I'm sorry everyone!
    I know I was complaining, but you guys are really not getting what I say in the post. I usually say something like "Yeah, I think the phone is great, but it has sooo many issues.".

To tell you the truth, I'm beginning to grow sick of this forum. People dislike me because of my age. Seems like most of you would be happy if I left.
    We don't want you to leave, and have no problem with your age, but want you to change your attitude. We get that you have some issues with your pre, But don't want to keep seeing you complain about it without giving a good reason.

The only thing you said you didn't like about your pre is that it's not good for research for class.. Well it's not meant to do that. If you came out and said, "it's a good phone, but the battery life is kind of to short, and your kid might keep running out of battery" that would of been a valid point. You made one point, and it made no sense, we responded to it, and you started acting like: "well I don't want to be your friend anymore". (I joke, I joke)

Please calm down, and don't hit "submit reply" until you reviewed it 30 minutes after you write your reply. I don't want to be rude, but you just went from making next to no sense, to making even less sense.

(on a side note, I know you don't like pc's, and I get that, but you do know that they won't kill you... right? I get that you prefer macs, but pc's aren't terrible. A $400 laptop will come in alot more handy for school than any android phone. IF you really, really, really don't want to approach a pc under any circumstance, you could always get an old mac)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    We don't want you to leave, and have no problem with your age, but want you to change your attitude. We get that you have some issues with your pre, But don't want to keep seeing you complain about it without giving a good reason.

The only thing you said you didn't like about your pre is that it's not good for research for class.. Well it's not meant to do that. If you came out and said, "it's a good phone, but the battery life is kind of to short, and your kid might keep running out of battery" that would of been a valid point. You made one point, and it made no sense, we responded to it, and you started acting like: "well I don't want to be your friend anymore". (I joke, I joke)

Please calm down, and don't hit "submit reply" until you reviewed it 30 minutes after you write your reply. I don't want to be rude, but you just went from making next to no sense, to making even less sense.

(on a side note, I know you don't like pc's, and I get that, but you do know that they won't kill you... right? I get that you prefer macs, but pc's aren't terrible. A $400 laptop will come in alot more handy for school than any android phone. IF you really, really, really don't want to approach a pc under any circumstance, you could always get an old mac)

Oh yes, message board politics...

As far as "PCvMac", I have one thing to say... Ubuntu.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathen View Post
    Oh yes, message board politics...

As far as "PCvMac", I have one thing to say... Ubuntu.
    hahaha...

Yea, I'm a pc guy myself, but don't have any against macs, I would really, really, really like a 27 inch mac. Well, I want the big monitor, and am willing to put up with osx. Some love it, I really don't, but would get one if for some reason pc's where really expensive, and macs where cheaper.

It's the same thing with webos, I really like it, but If I where buying a smartphone today, I would take a good look at the competition. The iphone 4 looks really good, and I don't have a problem with not holding it "wrong" (used my firends, antenna is not a big deal, and it's a great phone). I hate anrdoids user interface, but could easily learn to live with it. Heck, I can even get used to windows mobile 6.5 (would actually enjoy an hd2 as a second device). I'll use a blackberry, or anything with an almost half decent web browser. If i couldn't have any of that, I'd go with a dumbphone, or a pda with wifi.

Webos is my top choice, but if i can't get it for one reason, or another, or if I think it won't do what I need it to do, i'll buy another device.
  20. Lkr
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    My first phone was a basic slider.
    My second was a touch screen phone that slid to the side for texting. It was OK. It was called the Samsung Rogue.

This may make me spoiled, but I begged for a smartphone. I just LOVE technology, and I don't think thats necessarily a bad thing. Instead of doing something stupid, I'm actually learning. That's good, right? So I eventually convinced my dad to get me a Pre Plus.

I've had alotta issues with the Pre Plus, but my parents have given me enough, so I'm not gonna ask for a new phone until my upgrade is do.

I remember there was this one kid in my grade who got an iPhone in 3rd grade. At the time I didn't really know what an iPhone is, neither did my friends. And I don't suggest giving kids phones in 3rd grade lol.

If you think your child will use the phone for the right things, get him the phone. But I can almost guarantee, the Pixi will have issues.

And, are you getting a Pixi or Pixi Plus? What carrier? Cuz if it's a Verizon Pixi Plus, let me just tell you, their data plans are SUPER expensive. I believe all smartphones are required to get $30 data plan. And Verizon doesn't give a crap about people with Palm phones. It's really annoying.

Good luck.
    I would just like to point out that a smart phone is not used for that reasoning. A smart phone is a phone to do business on. Now I don't want you to think I'm flaming you or anything, but when I was 13, I didn't even have a cell phone!

A Pixi is a great entry smart phone, something that I am very content with myself as a power user. There is only so much one can do on a cell phone, I don't understand the complaints about speed. I didn't buy my phone as a computer replacement, I bought it to check my e-mail and do some simple browsing(once again, its a mobile browser) if I'm not home or am on a flight.

I honestly considered the Pre for myself, but its $150 compared to $50. I didn't see any reason to spend the extra money. I don't play games on my phone, and the App Catalog doesn't have many available(if I want to play portable games, I have an iPod and DS as it is).

Long rant short: Nothing wrong with a Pixi, especially at a young age
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast