Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    No.
    Well, the speed is underclocked at 500MHz. Palm did this to save battery. But it should be clocked at 600MHz.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    No.
    Well, the speed is underclocked at 500MHz. Palm did this to save battery. But it should be clocked at 600MHz.
    Not quite. The frequency shifts anywhere from 100-ish to 600MHz out of the box according to how much is needed. An unmodified Pixi can and will run at 600MHz unless you mess with it.
    Oh,
    then what is the Pixi uberkernal for?
    Oh,
    then what is the Pixi uberkernal for?
    Compcache.
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    Verizon is cheaper if you include the fact that you get free HotSpot and on Sprint you would have to have an aircard to do that (if you dont hack).
    And on VZW dont you have a 5gig data cap..... I can run close to that on my Sprint Pre WITHOUT any HotSpot use.
    No.
    Both the Pre and the Pixi run at 500mhz "stock", LunaSysMgr can run the processor of either phone up to 600 mhz when it determines this is needed (for example when running PDK games).
    Doesn't matter because if you had an aircard with Sprint, it too would a 5GB cap (or Verizon or AT&T too).
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    Doesn't matter because if you had an aircard with Sprint, it too would a 5GB cap (or Verizon or AT&T too).
    Uhmmm it does matter, because you are paying more to have capped data.

You are really comparing apples to oranges, I don't need to add another data usage to what on VZW is a capped 5gig plan. The VZW plan doesn't all the sudden become cheaper because you have mobile hotspot, the plan is still more expensive and if you already use data on your phone like I do, adding mobile hotspot only adds to the ease of which you can bust a 5 gig cap.

Ohhh and the aircard would be 5gigs for the aircard (would not be including my unlimited data on my phone plan). So if I really needed mobile data like that, the VZW plan STILL wouldn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post

You are really comparing apples to oranges, I don't need to add another data usage to what on VZW is a capped 5gig plan. The VZW plan doesn't all the sudden become cheaper because you have mobile hotspot, the plan is still more expensive and if you already use data on your phone like I do, adding mobile hotspot only adds to the ease of which you can bust a 5 gig cap.

Ohhh and the aircard would be 5gigs for the aircard (would not be including my unlimited data on my phone plan). So if I really needed mobile data like that, the VZW plan STILL wouldn't work.
    *Ive tried 3 times to reply to this and my comp keeps locking up*

Since this debate stems from my saying Im saving money on Verizon let me clear up how I am doing that! lol. Ive been with Sprint for 3 years. I had two lines (mine and my husbands) and an aircard until a few months ago when I wanted to add two more lines for my kids. Called Sprint and was told I could only add one line and for me to set up the 4th line on a different service in my husbands name. That was going to obviously cost me more. So then Im in the store picking up my referb Pre and talking to the man about service being crap at my house and he sells me on an airave. Get it home and it does nothing at all to help my service. They said it was the trees/pond I live on but I know plenty of people with them that live in far thicker woods than mine and they have airaves working quite well. That being said I also couldnt get Dish Network because they couldnt get me a signal yet Directv had me hooked up in only a few hours. Anyway so here I am with one plan with 3 lines and an aircard and another plan with 1 line and an airave. Husband comes home from work one day with a paper saying we get a discount on Verizon so I call them up. They tell me I can get 4 lines on one account and can get the free mobile hotspot. I said the mobile hotspot was actually going to be a downgrade for me because with Sprint I could use two phones for mobile hotspots (one per account) and had the aircard. The guy agrees and they give me 10gb rather than 5gb per month for 4 years. I will never go over that. We rarely used the aircard other than for traveling. So combine two Sprint accounts into one Verizon (at home with Sprint I was roaming on Verizon 99% of the time anyway) account for all 4 lines, lose the fee for the Sprint aircard, throw in 5gb extra pre month and factor in my husbands work discount of 30% and its cheaper for me. Keywords being for me. I know for a lot of people Sprint is cheaper which is why I dont usually get into the Sprint vs Verizon which is better debate. Im here to talk about Pre's/Pixi's not a persons choice of service provider.
    Melissa
    Cingular Razr > TMobile Blackberry Curve 8300 > Sprint Palm Centro > Sprint Blackberry Curve 8320 > Sprint Blackberry Curve 8530 > Sprint Palm Pre > Verizon Pixi +
    Yeah even without the aircard.... having to split to that 2nd account would be killer. Plus that 30% discount is nice. I think we are on 17% now on Sprint, and best VZW could do would be 8-11% IIRC.

I don't care what service provider you use personally, as I have said many time to folks like casiouser. I looked at the big 4 before making our decision to get our Pre's and we looked at all kinds of phones.... in the end ended up staying with Sprint and staying with Palm. I am all about making the decision that is right for you.
    Yeah even without the aircard.... having to split to that 2nd account would be killer. Plus that 30% discount is nice. I think we are on 17% now on Sprint, and best VZW could do would be 8-11% IIRC.

I don't care what service provider you use personally, as I have said many time to folks like casiouser. I looked at the big 4 before making our decision to get our Pre's and we looked at all kinds of phones.... in the end ended up staying with Sprint and staying with Palm. I am all about making the decision that is right for you.
    I agree. The switch also allowed me to get the husband a switch from Blackberry to a Pixi+ and both kids a switch from Samsung Seek (dont get me started on that crap box) to Pixi+ as well for free where on Sprint I would have had to either ebay them or pay full price or wait for upgrades. Since my contract was up I didnt get any cancelation fee and the husbands account was under 30 days old so he didnt either. It was just the right time for me to make the move and I can honestly say service is so far improved for my little hick area of the world now lol. Still a total Sprint fan. They did well by me and I have zero beef. All of the Sprint should get this first and Verizon sucks and AT&T is garbage posts I just skip past em. In the end I love WebOS and thats why Im here. To talk about WebOS/Pre/Pixi with fellow lovers - carrier doesnt matter to me much.
    Melissa
    Cingular Razr > TMobile Blackberry Curve 8300 > Sprint Palm Centro > Sprint Blackberry Curve 8320 > Sprint Blackberry Curve 8530 > Sprint Palm Pre > Verizon Pixi +

The 5 gig max is only on the Hot Spot. You have unlimited on the phone itself. In fact there was a patch that went around the 5 gig max by making all traffic look like it was for the phone itself.

Add this to the fact that most people prefer the Pixi which is still not avialable in the plus version on Sprint.

Of course I've never had Sprint, so there may be other aspects I am forgetting just as you have embellished your knowledge of Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanS View Post
    Add this to the fact that most people prefer the Pixi which is still not avialable in the plus version on Sprint.
    HUH?

Most people prefer the Pixi??? Where? What?

I am far from a Pixi hater, but you are going a lil far saying most people prefer the pixi. Maybe most people in the Pixi forum, but really the vast majority of users are Pre/Pre + users.
    HUH?

Most people prefer the Pixi??? Where? What?

I am far from a Pixi hater, but you are going a lil far saying most people prefer the pixi. Maybe most people in the Pixi forum, but really the vast majority of users are Pre/Pre + users.
    I haven't seen recent statistics. But nearly everyone I know who has gotten a palm phone recently has gotten the Pixi+. The Pre simply does not compete with the iPhone 4 or Android options for phones that size.

The smaller more usable Pixi appeals to a far larger segment of the population. I certainly am glad I made the switch.
    Okay first...... Pre is not the same size as the iPhone or the big Android phones.

I am also humored by the "more usable Pixi" appealing to a larger segment. The wife and I both came from Centro's, not looking to go back to that form factor at all, sorry. Really not looking at going to a smaller screen than is on the Pre either (and no I am not one of the folks looking for a 4"+ screen on the next Palm device).

Ohhh BTW, the "more popular" "more usable" Pixi forums are up to 1371 threads... The Pre forums (not counting the GSM specific forum) are up to 30368 threads.... Not hard statistics or anything, but I feel it's a decent reflection of the market.
    I would say something here but every time I criticize the Pixi people get upset, so I shall not speak of the disadvantages of the Pixi.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    Quote Originally Posted by cescoffery View Post
    I'm a long time Pre user, I have a launch day Pre on Sprint. I have been going on and on about how great the OS is for over a year and my friends listened. My home-girl Stacey bought a Pixi Plus, fell in love and bought 2 more for her two teenage boys. Then she told our mutual friend Machelle , and she bought one, and loves it also. Machelle then convinced her boyfriend to get a Pixi Plus....

All 5 people love the phone, and like me can't seam to put it down. They are coming from a variety of blackberries , feature phones, and an iPhone.

Mission complete .. Palm nation unite
    Nice Story, good job
    Mobile HotSpot At&t
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    It's possible that Pixi counts are low because the market they appeal to isn't the one on this site (not that it's a bad phone, once 1.4.5 comes out for Verizon I'll officially want to move laterally to one, even if I don't). Besides, the Pixi is a good size for messaging and the like. At my High School most messaging smartphones are Devours, but most people would be better served by the Pixi (some of my female friends have very small pockets).

Verizon is also really great for less populated areas (which, though it's stereotypical, tend to host families that need Verizon sized family plans), in part because I get 3G even though my house is surrounded by pecan orchards.
    Quote Originally Posted by anifan View Post
    It's possible that Pixi counts are low because the market they appeal to isn't the one on this site (not that it's a bad phone,
    See that's the thing I never said it was a bad phone, there are apparently a few Pixi users that think the Pixi has larger market share and is a better/more capable device.

Buy and use what you want, I will continue to buy and use what fits my needs. I never said there wasn't a market for the Pixi or that it wasn't a good device. I just argue with the comments that it is somehow better or has larger market/mind share than the Pre.
    Okay first...... Pre is not the same size as the iPhone or the big Android phones.

I am also humored by the "more usable Pixi" appealing to a larger segment. The wife and I both came from Centro's, not looking to go back to that form factor at all, sorry. Really not looking at going to a smaller screen than is on the Pre either (and no I am not one of the folks looking for a 4"+ screen on the next Palm device).

Ohhh BTW, the "more popular" "more usable" Pixi forums are up to 1371 threads... The Pre forums (not counting the GSM specific forum) are up to 30368 threads.... Not hard statistics or anything, but I feel it's a decent reflection of the market.
    I don't know how you can possibly think that. I'm sure we could use equally dubious statistics to prove the Pre is more popular than the iPhone.

It's interesting how almost every Pre 2.0 thread is basically hoping for a larger screen Pixi.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast