Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello all,
    I am new to this forum, obviously , and just got my Palm Pixi (Sprint) yesterday. I have a Mac iBook, 10.4.11 and downloaded the latest version of Java, which for me is not the right version so I downloaded soylatte. Here is what is happening. I've downloaded webOS Quick Install, that went fine. When it pops up the screen to choose yes or no to download the doctor, I click yes, the window goes away and nothing happens at all. I will then go back and click on webOS Quick Install, brings up the same window, I click on yes, and nothing happens except the window goes away. I'm at a loss as what to do. I've read lots of info and I just don't know what to do. If anyone could offer help, I'd greatly appreciate it. I know I'm a newbie but I've tried everything that I know to do.
    You have a problem getting webos doctor, you mean?
    I thought when you first open Quick Install, it ask you if you want to use USB or Emulator.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Make sure that the WebOS Dr is completely downloaded and in the same folder as quick Install. I did have WebOS Dr stop downloading because of a bad internet connection. If its not completely installed, quick Install does exactly what you are describing.
    Hi Bella Vapor, and Welcome to the P|C forums!

It's been a long time since I've used a Mac, but here's my thoughts (a Mac user can chime in if I'm wrong)...

First, be sure the Doctor file you download is in the same folder as WOSQI.

You can try downloading the Doctor directly from the Palm Site. It will ask you for your device's serial # (so have it ready - it's under the battery). Once it confirms the serial number, click 'continue'. The next screen will verify your version of Java. If the issue you have been having is because of a problem with Soylatte - this is where it will tell you (and should help you to get the correct file installed).
    Bella Vapor - Welcome to the forum. Please specify again exactly what you are attempting to do. Are you trying to run webOSDoctor on your phone, or are you just trying to run webOS Quick Install to install Preware or some other app/patch.

If you are just trying to run webOS Quick Install, then you do not want to actually run the webOSDoctor.jar file. You just need to have it in the same folder as the WebOSQuickInstall.jar file. I'm assuming since you just got your phone yesterday that you don't need to doctor it, just put preware or something on it.

Step by step directions to getting started with developer mode, webOS Quick Install, and Preware are here:
    http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes
    Palm Pilot Professional --> TRGPro --> Treo 650 --> Centro (AT&T) + 4 Pixis on Sprint Family Plan
    (Note) The easier way to obtain your phone's serial number: Go into Device Info, and your serial number should be right there.

Best of luck.
    From what i gather, all she wants to do is use webosquickinstall.

I don't know that the non standard java packages work with it? Someone else would need to chime in there...

Anyways, grab
    http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pixi/...0ewwsprint.jar

thats the latest Sprint webosdoctor, and rename the package to webOSDoctor.jar (Mind the capitalization to be sure)

place the file in the same directory as webosquickinstall.jar

Just run webosquickinstall after that, and you should be good to go.
  8.    #8  
    Hello all,
    Thank you for the welcome and so many replies I have the WebOSQuickInstall.Jar downloaded on my computer. When I double click on the WebOSQuickInstall.Jar icon on my desktop, it pops up a window that says this:

For WebOS Quick Intall to run correctly, it is required to download webOSDoctor (approx 220MB). Would you like to download it now? NO or YES

I click on YES and nothing happens at all and that's all I can do with the WebOSQuickINstall.jar at this moment.

I try and go straight to the Palm site and download it like suggested by Hello and report back, but that's what's going on as of right now, even with me having downloaded soylatte and unzipping it.

Thanks everyone for your help, I really appreciate you help

EDIT: I'm Downloading the WebOSDoctor right now form the Palm site. Thank you Hello I will let ya'll know how it goes after this is done.
    Last edited by Bella Vapor; 08/12/2010 at 03:34 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Ok, got the WebOSdoctor downloaded...It popped up a screen that says:

Would you like to create desktop shortcut(s) for
    Palm WebOS(R) Doctor(tm) Build Sprint.275.271, webOS 1.4.5?

I can choose: Configure..., No or Yes

Doesn't say anything as of yet about USB or anything, not sure what to choose?
  10. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    You don't need shortcuts on your desktop, as long as you can remember where it downloaded to.

Put in same folder as WOSQI.
  11.    #11  
    Ok great, thank you very much GHT I clicked No and it opened up the WebOSDoctor Let me see what I need to do now.

Edit...Ok it didn't ask if I wanted to use my USB drive but I went through the prompts and it says to connect my phone directly to my computer with usb cable...so, this will install Novacomd...is this right (after I put my phone in developer mode of course). I'm following the directions from here the link that bruneti posted.
    Last edited by Bella Vapor; 08/12/2010 at 05:37 PM.
    Bella Vapor - You're not quite following the directions I linked to correctly. I'll try to clarify/simplify (going from memory here). Follow the order of the steps in the link I provided if there are any discrepencies due to my (poor) memory.
    1. Create a new folder on your desktop and name it something meaningful (like Palm Pixi or something).
    2. Put the downloaded WebOSDoctor.jar file in this new folder. Do NOT run this file for this process. It just contains components needed for the webOS quick install program to work. You do not need to touch this file again for installing Preware.
    3. Now put the WebOSQuickInstall.jar file in that same folder you created. Both .jar files have to be in the same folder for this to work properly.
    4. Verify that you are running the current version of Java, and update it if necessary.
    5. Now you will open the WebOSQuickInstall.jar file only. Again, Do NOT open the webOS doctor file.
    6. Make sure you have put your Pixi in developer mode using either the Konami code or "webos20090606" string in universal search. Tap the developer mode icon, Turn developer mode on with the on/off slider switch at the top of the window, and then follow the device reboot prompt.
    7. After the reboot, connect your Pixi to the USB cable, select the "Charge Only" option and allow it time to install the device drivers and Novacommand. Not sure how this driver install process looks on the Mac, as I'm a PC.
    8. Within webOS Quick Install, click the down arrow button on the right. A window will open named Ipkg Repository Viewer. At the top there is a drop down menu of feeds to select from. Pick the webOS internals feed for Pixi. A list of applications will come up in alphabetical order. Check the box next to Preware and click the download button. The Ipkg Repository Viewer window will close.
    9. Now click the "Install" button in the webOS Quick Install main window. Give it a few seconds and you will find the Preware app on your Pixi launcher.
    10. You can now unplug the usb cable, launch the Preware app on your Pixi, let it connect and update the feeds, and start patching your Pixi over the air.
    Palm Pilot Professional --> TRGPro --> Treo 650 --> Centro (AT&T) + 4 Pixis on Sprint Family Plan
  13.    #13  
    Thank you bruneti I've done what you stated above and what the How to says to do also and nothing seems to want to work. I have webosdoctorp200ewwsprint.jnlp and webosquickinstall.jar in a folder of there own together (labeled Pixi). I've downloaded the soylatte16-i386-1.0.3 because I cannot get Java 6 on my mac computer, cant get it yet. When I open the (Pixi) folder and open webosquickinstall.jar all it does is ask if I want to download the webosdoctor, it does nothing else and I've already downloaded the webosdoctor, which is in the same folder as the webosquickstall.jar. I'm guessing it has something to do with the soylatte...am I supposed to unzip it and the contents inside too or just leave it be? Because I unzipped it and something else that was inside the soylatte file. I'm at a losss
    Quote Originally Posted by Bella Vapor View Post
    Thank you bruneti I've done what you stated above and what the How to says to do also and nothing seems to want to work. I have webosdoctorp200ewwsprint.jnlp and webosquickinstall.jar in a folder of there own together (labeled Pixi). I've downloaded the soylatte16-i386-1.0.3 because I cannot get Java 6 on my mac computer, cant get it yet. When I open the (Pixi) folder and open webosquickinstall.jar all it does is ask if I want to download the webosdoctor, it does nothing else and I've already downloaded the webosdoctor, which is in the same folder as the webosquickstall.jar. I'm guessing it has something to do with the soylatte...am I supposed to unzip it and the contents inside too or just leave it be? Because I unzipped it and something else that was inside the soylatte file. I'm at a losss
    It would have been so easy if you was using a windows xp. I don't know much about using a mac computer, but try using webos doctor as if you were going to doctor your phone, and see if it prompt you to have the latest java available to continue.

If you do not have java, then at the bottom it should ask you if you want to install java. Go ahead and see what happen. You need java for for those application to run. Ps. If webos QI prompt you download webos doc, even though you have it already... do so.
    Last edited by rush; 08/13/2010 at 04:01 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks Rush
    Ok, I think I give up and won't do cool things with my Pixi When I click on the webosdoctor it's like it has to download again...It pops up a window that says:

Loading...p200ewwsprint.jar from palm.cdnetworks.net
    Read x amount of M's of x amount M's to be downloaded
    Eastimated time left: xx:xx:xx

X's are #'s they are just changing as it looks like downloading going on.

It takes just over 38 minutes to "Load" the webosdoctor...when I open it up on my computer.

Is this what it's supposed to do every time you open webosdoctor?

I'm pretty use to everything having to be difficult, that's usually how my life is, nothing can just work how it's supposed to lol.
  16. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Ps. If webos QI prompt you run webos doc, even though you have it already... do so.
    I think you meant DOWNLOAD webOS Doctor not RUN webOS Doctor.
  17. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    By the way, you already have webOS - it's what runs your phone. What you want is Preware!

Also, webOSquickinstall (WOSQI) is not the only way to install Preware, although both ways require Java.

I have never worked on a Mac, so I may not be much help, but have you performed the software update? Mac OS X: Updating your software

I also found this, but not sure if that will get a functioning version of Java on your machine or not. Java for Mac OS X 10.4, Release 9
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    I think you meant DOWNLOAD webOS Doctor not RUN webOS Doctor.
    Yep, download. @ Bella Vapor, no you don't have to download webos doctor every time you want to use webosQI.
  19. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bella Vapor View Post
    I have webosdoctorp200ewwsprint.jnlp
    Isn't webOS Doctor supposed to be a jar file? (Mine is.) Not sure where jnlp comes from.

Try this one:

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pixi/...0ewwsprint.jar

It's a 203.9MB file, so it will take a while depending on your connection.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast