Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Novacomd doesn't install on your phone. It installs on your computer to allow communication with your phone.

Did you try launching WOSQI again?

You could also try the Preware standalone installer, but might have the same issue.

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    Ya, I've launched WOSQI again and nothing happens. It acts like it's going to do something then closes itself.
    Nope, downloaded it, but I am getting the weird thing that I do with the QI file.

This seriously leads me to believe I am close to getting something working here, but I am just not sure what the next step should be.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by GHT View Post
    Try clicking under File > Options > Attempt Novacom (re)installation.

If all else fails, this seemed to have worked for at least one guy...

# 5. Get Novacom (the backdoor method)
    Hopefully at this point you can get “Quick Install” to open on your computer. But, you probably can’t get it to recognize your Palm Pre (Plus). You can try clicking under File > Options > Attempt Novacom (re)installation…, but it probably won’t work.
    So, (1) Copy the webOS Doctor .jar file and paste a new copy into the same folder. (2) Change the .jar extension to .zip. (3) Unzip the new .zip file. (4) Go into the new folder; probably labeled something like “webOSDoctor copy.” (5) Go into the resources folder and double-click on Novacominstaller.pkg.tar.gz. (6) Once that is done unzipping double-click on Novacominstaller.pkg and install the Novacom program. (I forget where I found this method, but thanks to whomever posted this method of getting Novacom installed!)
    I just tried this, too. The Novacominstaller that he is says to look for in that resources folder is not there!! If you go into that folder, it just has the language support packs and that's it.

I can't find anything for Novacom, so I have no idea what he was talking about.
  4.    #44  
    Preware says that it couldnt be launched. Check the console for possible error message. I have no clue what console it is talking about.
  5.    #45  
    It's like we are so close verwon...yet so far away lol. There's gotta be something...
    Yes, when I downloaded the stand alone, I am just getting some weird stuff, too.

This really makes no sense.
  7.    #47  
    I just got totally lost on all the mac threads lol...I have no clue what they are talking about lol. It really doesn't make any sense does it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bella Vapor View Post
    I just got totally lost on all the mac threads lol...I have no clue what they are talking about lol. It really doesn't make any sense does it.
    I supposed it may make sense if you were a mac pro, who had been an expert at using them for years, but when you're not, it's like gibberish.

What I found most relevant was that only a couple of people got it working, most didn't.

I've got great Java working on this thing, if I go to the test pages for the latest version, everything works and tells me I have it all working perfectly! LOL!
    huh, I dont have any better suggestions, just seems odd/sad whatever, that whenever mac people say how much easier and better everything is with mac, and then I see this kinda struggles with stuff thats really easy on a PC, makes me wonder..

I really hope you get your issues resolved so you can enjoy all the coolness of Pre
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

I was looking up the alternate methods to try to get Preware for your phone, such as Terminal, SSH and etc. But I am afraid if you aren't familiar with any of it, it's going to be even more confusing and will take a lot of time.

Getting Preware via the stand alone is really much easier.

The only other thing I can think of, is going ahead and borrowing one of your friends Win machines for a few minutes, download the Preware standalone and the WebOS doctor it requires, use it to put Preware in your phone, then delete them. They are small files, so they aren't going to take up a lot of room in their computers and problem solved if you remove them afterwards.

I have Internalz, so I think I am going to have to figure out how to use that to make the changes I want.
  11.    #51  
    I think the problem lies with the fact that only Mac OSX 10.5 can get the Java 1.6 that is needed for all of this. I just don't have that kinda money to toss around to get the 10.5 and that's really aggrivating. There's gotta be a way...there's gotta be something about the Soylatte being in a certain place or something like that cause the Soylatte is supposed to make it work if you can't get Java 1.6...confusing as hell!
    Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    huh, I dont have any better suggestions, just seems odd/sad whatever, that whenever mac people say how much easier and better everything is with mac, and then I see this kinda struggles with stuff thats really easy on a PC, makes me wonder..

I really hope you get your issues resolved so you can enjoy all the coolness of Pre
    As I stated, I already have Preware, I installed that when I still had my Win laptop. I mainly just wanted to try to get it working on my Mac and to help our new Pre user, so she could really enjoy her phone.

There is a ton of stuff that is easier on a Mac, but a lot of software is made with just Windows users in mind, because that is the bulk of machines on the market.
  13.    #53  
    If I do it how it's supposed to be done here http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes on my friends computer then I shouldn't have to connect to her computer to get patches and themes and things like that right?
    I think the problem lies with the fact that only Mac OSX 10.5 can get the Java 1.6 that is needed for all of this. I just don't have that kinda money to toss around to get the 10.5 and that's really aggrivating. There's gotta be a way...there's gotta be something about the Soylatte being in a certain place or something like that cause the Soylatte is supposed to make it work if you can't get Java 1.6...confusing as hell!
    Exactly! Like I said, if I run the tests, it is even showing that I have the latest version of Java running and am up-to-date, but WebOS QI still won't work. They did say that for some reason, soylatte doesn't do it for all machines, though.

At the moment, I am beyond confused.
    If I do it how it's supposed to be done here http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes on my friends computer then I shouldn't have to connect to her computer to get patches and themes and things like that right?
    Yes, once you have Preware, then you don't need a Win computer to install that stuff. You get it right over the air, from Preware.

The only time you would need to connect is if you have to do a doctor to your device, which would only happen if you played with stuff you shouldn't and screw it up.

There is a ton of themes and patches available in Preware, plus you can get Internalz from them, which will let you install patches that are posted on the forums, but not yet in Preware, so it really kills the need to use a computer.
  16.    #56  
    Even though it's not funny I'm still giggling over here cause this is so rediculously confusing lol. I'll just ask my friend "pretty please" haha and see if that works.

As for soylatte...I guess it doesn' t like us.
    Even though it's not funny I'm still giggling over here cause this is so rediculously confusing lol. I'll just ask my friend "pretty please" haha and see if that works.

As for soylatte...I guess it doesn' t like us.
    Yeah, I'm laughing, too. It's just too much!

And I got news for soylatte, if it isn't going to like us, I don't like it, either!!! LOL!
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Yes, once you have Preware, then you don't need a Win computer to install that stuff. You get it right over the air, from Preware.

The only time you would need to connect is if you have to do a doctor to your device, which would only happen if you played with stuff you shouldn't and screw it up.

There is a ton of themes and patches available in Preware, plus you can get Internalz from them, which will let you install patches that are posted on the forums, but not yet in Preware, so it really kills the need to use a computer.
    I still have a lot to read up on cause that is confusing too but I'll get the hang of it.

Now when a phone update comes up I would have to erase all the stuff I put on my phone before I updated it right and then go use my friend computer again to reinstall preware and reget patches and what not huh?
  19.    #59  
    "And I got news for soylatte, if it isn't going to like us, I don't like it, either!!! LOL! "

Right On!!!
    I still have a lot to read up on cause that is confusing too but I'll get the hang of it.

Now when a phone update comes up I would have to erase all the stuff I put on my phone before I updated it right and then go use my friend computer again to reinstall preware and reget patches and what not huh?
    NO!!!!! There are only certain patches that need to be removed, mainly the ones that touch more than one file, such as a patch that does something to both the launcher pages and the top bar, in one patch. There's always an updated list on the forums with a ton of posts, before any update.

All themes have to be removed.

Preware and the other patches and stuff can be left on your phone, with no problems.

Preware will even save a list of everything you have installed, so once you've installed an update, you can just launch it and it will let you know what patches need to be updated and etc.

But most of the stuff is over the air, update compatible, so you don't have to worry about needing her computer, every time we get an update.

And, of course, I'll always be happy to help, as will a lot of other people, if you have any problems, questions or need help!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast