Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Isn't webOS Doctor supposed to be a jar file? (Mine is.) Not sure where jnlp comes from.
    (GHT)

Actually, mine say jnlp. I guess it's a file connected in someway to java.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bella Vapor View Post
    Ok great, thank you very much GHT I clicked No and it opened up the WebOSDoctor Let me see what I need to do now.

Edit...Ok it didn't ask if I wanted to use my USB drive but I went through the prompts and it says to connect my phone directly to my computer with usb cable...so, this will install Novacomd...is this right (after I put my phone in developer mode of course). I'm following the directions from here the link that bruneti posted.
    Your problems seem to be similar to what I had.

I have an iMac. Make sure when you plug-in your phone to your Mac that its in Developer Mode.

Next:

Open WebOSQuickInstall and in the menu File->Options, then press the "Attempt Novacom (re)installation" button.

After you see it install, close WEBOSQI then re open it. Reopen Vovacomd by using spotlight and once open minimize. As long as the Novacomd is active you should be able to start using WEBOSQI to download Preware.
    From Oracle's website:

Apple (OS X)
    Apple Computer supplies their own version of Java. Use the Software Update feature (available on the Apple menu) to check that you have the most up-to-date version of Java for your Mac.

Do this step. I don't know the first thing about Java on the Mac or the reason why you can't get the current version, so I can't help you there. This Soylatte program may not work with WOSQI. You may be better off trying it with the older version of flash that you have.

BTW, In my case the webosdoctor file is named "webOSDoctor.jar" and not "webosdoctorp200ewwsprint.jar". I believe I allowed webOS Quick Install to down load it. This filename may make a difference. Possibly try renaming your webosdoctor file to this and make sure its in your folder you named Pixi along with the other file.
    Mine worked flawlessly. I've installed preware on 4 pixis now.

Do you have a friend with a PC running XP?
    Palm Pilot Professional --> TRGPro --> Treo 650 --> Centro (AT&T) + 4 Pixis on Sprint Family Plan
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hi Bella Vapor, and Welcome to the P|C forums!

It's been a long time since I've used a Mac, but here's my thoughts (a Mac user can chime in if I'm wrong)...

First, be sure the Doctor file you download is in the same folder as WOSQI.

You can try downloading the Doctor directly from the Palm Site. It will ask you for your device's serial # (so have it ready - it's under the battery). Once it confirms the serial number, click 'continue'. The next screen will verify your version of Java. If the issue you have been having is because of a problem with Soylatte - this is where it will tell you (and should help you to get the correct file installed).
    I also have an ibook and this is what I had to do. For some reason, it just doesn't work if you click the pop-up to download the doctor that way. You have to go to the site and download it on your own.

I am betting soylatte is what I need to get mine working, off to go look!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Your problems seem to be similar to what I had.

I have an iMac. Make sure when you plug-in your phone to your Mac that its in Developer Mode.

Next:

Open WebOSQuickInstall and in the menu File->Options, then press the "Attempt Novacom (re)installation" button.

After you see it install, close WEBOSQI then re open it. Reopen Vovacomd by using spotlight and once open minimize. As long as the Novacomd is active you should be able to start using WEBOSQI to download Preware.
    The problem is, if she doesn't have the doctor, then WebOS QI will not even open this far!
  6.    #26  
    OMG, I'm so confused I'm downloading the .jar webosdoctor right now and erased the other one I had and then I will see if this works. I put my phone in developer mode and connected to my computer, did charge only, and nothing happened. I opened up webosinstaller to see if anything would happen and nothing happened except the same thing that always happens, popped up a window asking if I wanted to download webosdoctor. Maybe the .jar doctor will work.

I'm sorry for being such a pain everyone. I do have a few friends with PC's but I don't want to download stuff on there computer and have to use there computer everytime I want to put something on my phone, lol.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I also have an ibook and this is what I had to do. For some reason, it just doesn't work if you click the pop-up to download the doctor that way. You have to go to the site and download it on your own.

I am betting soylatte is what I need to get mine working, off to go look!
    Hey verwon
    I downloaded the doctor from palm and it still didn't work. If you get it to work with soylatte maybe we could talk about how you were able to get it to work. I'm still working on it though...it's just aggrivating, lol.
  8.    #28  
    Here's one more question...how fast is the webosquickinstall supposed to take to download cause it downloaded super fast, almost like nothing was there to download. I have DSL, but it's never been that fast. It says it's 1.4MB in size...just makin sure that's right too.
    Hey verwon
    I downloaded the doctor from palm and it still didn't work. If you get it to work with soylatte maybe we could talk about how you were able to get it to work. I'm still working on it though...it's just aggrivating, lol.
    So far, I can't get it to work, either. I've got Soylatte and have the Doctor and QI in my ibook, but I still can't get QI to do anything. When it launches, I get a banner across the top of my desktop that says I am running canucksoftware quick install utility, but not the usual working box that I would get on my windows machine and no options to hook it to my phone and do anything.

I'll keep playing around and post back if I can get it to work.
    Some stuff here, but I am really not finding much that I haven't already tried or know how to do:

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...10-4-11-a.html
    More here:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...10-4-11-a.html

(Yes, I am REALLY stubborn!)
  12. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    I do have a few friends with PC's but I don't want to download stuff on there computer and have to use there computer everytime I want to put something on my phone, lol.
    Don't worry about being a pain. This sounds like a legitimate issue that lots of Mac folks are having. (Pictures the PC guy from the Apple commercials with a smug look on his face.)

You might want to consider using a friend's PC to get Preware installed. Once you have Preware, you will not need to hook up to the PC anymore for loading patches, kernels, or Homebrew apps. Preware is 100% over-the-air awesomeness. WOSQI can do most of the things Preware can, but it isn't as user-friendly in my opinion, and you must be connected to your computer. Use WOSQI to put Preware on your Pixi, and forget about WOSQI.
  13. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Here's one more question...how fast is the webosquickinstall supposed to take to download cause it downloaded super fast, almost like nothing was there to download. I have DSL, but it's never been that fast. It says it's 1.4MB in size...just makin sure that's right too.
    1.4MB is correct. Should be very fast download, unlike the webOS Doctor.
  14.    #34  
    Ok, done downloading the doctor.jar and that seemed like it was going to work...I connected my phone to my computer, opened up webosquickinstall.jar and it didn't do the usual pop up window asking if I wanted to download webosdoctor. It popped up a window about wanting to intstall Novacomd I believe and I clicked yes and then it did nothing. I think it has to do with the fact that I can't get Java 6 which is why I had to download the soylatte but that's not working I guess.

The reason I can't get Java 6 is because my operating system is 10.4.1 and you have to have 10.5 or higher to get Java 6...that sucks don't it, lol.
    Ok, done downloading the doctor.jar and that seemed like it was going to work...I connected my phone to my computer, opened up webosquickinstall.jar and it didn't do the usual pop up window asking if I wanted to download webosdoctor. It popped up a window about wanting to intstall Novacomd I believe and I clicked yes and then it did nothing. I think it has to do with the fact that I can't get Java 6 which is why I had to download the soylatte but that's not working I guess.

The reason I can't get Java 6 is because my operating system is 10.4.1 and you have to have 10.5 or higher to get Java 6...that sucks don't it, lol.
    YES!! But it sounds like you got a little further than I did. This is very annoying.

I didn't even get the thing to install Novacomd
  16.    #36  
    Well, I'm not sure it actually did, lol. It just asked if I wanted to and I said yes and then the lil screen dissapeared and did nothing else, lol. Can you check on the phone to see if it did?
  17. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Novacomd doesn't install on your phone. It installs on your computer to allow communication with your phone.

Did you try launching WOSQI again?

You could also try the Preware standalone installer, but might have the same issue.

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    Thankfully, I already have Preware on my phone, did that while my Win laptop was still working.

However, I want to get it working on my mac, because that one is completely dead, so I have no more access to QI.
    I'm going to try downloading the stand alone installer, just to see if it helps and/or works with these mac ibooks. I'm not working today and have nothing better to do! LOL!
  20. ght
    Global Posts
    886 Global Posts
    Try clicking under File > Options > Attempt Novacom (re)installation.

If all else fails, this seemed to have worked for at least one guy...

# 5. Get Novacom (the backdoor method)
    Hopefully at this point you can get “Quick Install” to open on your computer. But, you probably can’t get it to recognize your Palm Pre (Plus). You can try clicking under File > Options > Attempt Novacom (re)installation…, but it probably won’t work.
    So, (1) Copy the webOS Doctor .jar file and paste a new copy into the same folder. (2) Change the .jar extension to .zip. (3) Unzip the new .zip file. (4) Go into the new folder; probably labeled something like “webOSDoctor copy.” (5) Go into the resources folder and double-click on Novacominstaller.pkg.tar.gz. (6) Once that is done unzipping double-click on Novacominstaller.pkg and install the Novacom program. (I forget where I found this method, but thanks to whomever posted this method of getting Novacom installed!)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast