Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I started off with a Pre a while back and while owning it bought some things. Some things like Need for Speed. Now on my Pixi the 1.4.5 update hits and I check the catalog and what do you know.. Need for Speed! For $10! Was sort of hoping to not have buy things twice but apparently thats not the way this whole PDK thing is gonna work :P

I realize this is like being a 360 (yuck) and getting a game then switching to the PS3 (good choice) and getting the same game. Of course you have to pay.. But still... My non-PDK apps were linked to my Palm account and were free even if they werent on my Pre because I already payed for them.
    Huge, established site looking for four writers (Sony, MS, Ninty and phones/tech), soon launching a console repair service and also looking for some capture card owning gamers to make some videos for our soon to open youtube channel.

Its a rebirth for GamersMayhem. Come be a part!

that's pretty lame. i would try to call palm support and complain about it. i also purchased NFS:U and was hoping it would just work on my pixi, since I had it on the Pre.

i don't agree with your analogy. it's not like you're going from webOS to android. going from a pre to a pixi is more like switching from an xbox360 to an xbox360 slim, all the games should transfer over without any hassle.

i have not gone through the update yet, i am waiting for a few days to give the patch and app developers some more time to update things.

let us know how it goes.
    did you try to download it anyways it should let you download without asking for your password. If not idk the update should not have even touched your apps anyways lol edit : I see what you mean now . Not sure that need for speed even worked on pixi until this update ? I would like to know the outcome as well.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    make sure it is the exact same game -if you had it on the Pre before, I know there are a few 'HD' titled games that were meant for Pixi only... As long as you're using the same Palm Profile it should allow the exact game to download for free, the PDK is not re-charging for paid games. If this is not the case, get hold of Palm Support
    I would like to know how this is going to work out as well. I just switched from a Sprint Pre to a Verizon Pixi+ and my Pre had a good amount of games that I cant get until after Verizon updates. Was hoping not to have to repay for them.
    open a chat session on the palm support site. They should be able to fix it.
    Going through Palm Chat Support was fruitless for me. I was informed that apps are device specfic, though it doesn't seem like they are aware of the 1.4.5.1 update. Here is my chat record:

2:50 PM Matthew: Hi Alec,
    2:50 PM Matthew: Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. My name is Matthew.
    2:50 PM Alec: Hi. Did my initial question come through?
    2:50 PM Matthew: Let me go through the issue.
    2:51 PM Alec: ok
    2:52 PM Matthew: I understand that You are unable to download the App that you have already purchased. Am I right?
    2:52 PM Alec: correct
    2:52 PM Matthew: I apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.
    2:52 PM Matthew: I understand your concern. Let me see how I can help you.
    2:53 PM Alec: thanks
    2:53 PM Matthew: You are welcome.
    2:54 PM Matthew: Thanks for holding.
    2:57 PM Matthew: I am sorry to inform that few Apps are device specific, You can not install few Apps on PiXi.
    2:57 PM Matthew: Are you using the same Palm Profile?
    2:58 PM Alec: It seems that some of the paid apps did come through. Is it only PDK Apps that are device specific?
    3:00 PM Matthew: Let me check the Apps.
    3:00 PM Matthew: Are you using the same Palm Profile?
    3:00 PM Alec: I am. It is under email : Email Address
    3:01 PM Matthew: Okay.
    3:02 PM Matthew: Which Apps did not come?
    3:02 PM Alec: Need for Speed
    3:03 PM Alec: I also had purchased X Plane, Family guy, deer hunter, glyder 2 and some others, but I don't see those in teh pixi app catalogue yet.
    3:05 PM Matthew: Do you see Need for Speed on the App catalog?
    3:05 PM Alec: I do
    3:05 PM Matthew: Okay.
    3:08 PM Matthew: I am sorry. Please Contact the developer for compatibility details.
    3:09 PM Alec: If I move back to a Palm Pre, will I be able to download all of those games again?
    3:09 PM Matthew: Yes, you will get all those Apps back.
    3:10 PM Alec: Okay. If Apps are device specific, am I going to have to buy apps again if a new palm device is released in the future?
    3:12 PM Matthew: Only few Apps are device specific. Pixi does not support 3D Apps.
    3:13 PM Matthew: For example, Need for speed is a 3D App. Device should have 3D acceleration to play the game.
    3:14 PM Alec: I was under the impression that the 1.4.5.1 release that uploaded to my phone last night, that the pixi now supported 3D apps.
    3:14 PM Matthew: Okay. you can Update the webOS and check.
    3:15 PM Matthew: Here’s the reference number for our chat: Chat session ID number ########, Keep this number as a record of this chat.
    3:16 PM Matthew: Is there anything else I can help you with?
    3:16 PM Alec: Thank you for your time.
    3:17 PM Matthew: You are most welcome.
    3:17 PM Matthew: Thank you for contacting Palm and feel free to contact us for further assistance.
    3:17 PM Matthew: Please take a few minutes to complete the survey that you’ll receive via email. We really appreciate your feedback.
    3:17 PM Matthew: Have a great day!
    3:17 PM Matthew: Bye.
    It would make sense that apps are device specific. The Pre and Pixi run on different resolutions. My assumption is that developers need to make modifications to the code for each app in order for things to look right on each device.
    my argument would be that even if the software builds of NFS are device specific, the game overall should be platform specific. afterall, it has the same title in both the pre and pixi app catalogs.

on the iphone, going from a 3g to a 4, the users did not loose games. same with android, if the specific 2nd phone you have supports a title you previously bought on a better/bigger/whatever phone, then you will not be charged twice for it.
    What he said at the 3:14pm mark says to me that he is clueless about the update. He told you to update WebOS and check. He totally didnt understand that WebOS is already updated. It seems to me that since some games (Cloud Hopper, Puzzle Kitchen, Fall-E Pro, and such for me) came over to the Pixi+ instantly when I logged into my Palm profile that the others should come over as well when they are available for the Pixi. What Im thinking is the download link for the Pre versions and the download link for the Pixi versions are not the same link which is why its asking you to pay. Personally I would contact the app creator and see if its possible to work out a discount or something since you paid once. I know when Verizon lets the update finally come for me Ill be doing that even if it turns out to be a useless effort. Heres what else Im wondering and Im probably totally wrong here but I have to say it anyway. Im wondering if the download links arent different (I suspect they are) if you ran WebOS doctor (I know no one likes doing that) and then when you log into your Palm profile now that you have 1.4.5 is it possible that those games that you are missing would somehow port in with the fresh new login? Just like they would have had you say swapped your Pre for a new Pre. I know its a reach and I know very little about these things to be quite honest (thank God for PreCentral!) so Im just throwing out ideas here however useless they might turn out to be lol.
    Melissa
    Cingular Razr > TMobile Blackberry Curve 8300 > Sprint Palm Centro > Sprint Blackberry Curve 8320 > Sprint Blackberry Curve 8530 > Sprint Palm Pre > Verizon Pixi +
    I spent about 1.5 hours on chat with Palm yesterday regarding this issue. Their stance was this:
    - There are many "versions" of this app submitted to the app catalog. The differences are both localization (EU version, NA version, etc) and device type (pre, pixi). I purchased the pre version of the app, (EU version somehow, even though I am in the US).
    - I should contact EA because it's their app.

My stance was this:
    - I already contacted EA. They told me that Palm charged my credit card, and Palm was the merchant selling their app, therefor all problems go to them. I agree with this, my beef is not with EA.
    - I established that this game is indeed compatible with the pixi. This took a while.
    - I purchased the title "need for speed underground" for webOS. There is no version or build or device limitation on my receipt. I bought the title for the webOS platform, so it should work on all compatible devices within that platform.

After going through some support guy and then his manager, they decided to escalate it further within their support. They took my information and told me they would get back to me within a week or so. I will let you guys know how it goes.

I was as polite to them as I could be during the whole time, but it does anger me a bit that Palm is clearly not ready to deal with these kinds of problems. I don't care about this game, it wasn't even that good to begin with. What concerns me is all the apps that people paid for when the next palm phone comes out. No doubt it will have a totally new hardware and will need all the current apps to be rebuilt. Will everyone who bought those apps now loose them because of a "different version"?
    Quote Originally Posted by shanesgc View Post
    I started off with a Pre a while back and while owning it bought some things. Some things like Need for Speed. Now on my Pixi the 1.4.5 update hits and I check the catalog and what do you know.. Need for Speed! For $10! Was sort of hoping to not have buy things twice but apparently thats not the way this whole PDK thing is gonna work :P

I realize this is like being a 360 (yuck) and getting a game then switching to the PS3 (good choice) and getting the same game. Of course you have to pay.. But still... My non-PDK apps were linked to my Palm account and were free even if they werent on my Pre because I already payed for them.
    i actually expected that to happen...

i agree with palm on this one.. ea gets 70% cut, palm may have charged your card but its on ea to agree to a refund, and than submit a request to palm corporate theyll refund it and youll repurchase it... but just know youlll have the same issue when you move to another device if its a Palm

Diff Resolutions= Different Apps even though content of app is the same

ex: com.somegame.somecompany.pixi_320x400
    com.somegame.somecompany.pre_320x480
    Ive purchased apps through Handmark and Handango for my Palm Centro and then moved over to my Blackberry Curve and all Ive had to do is log into my account on one of those sites and switch my device. As long as the app is available for the new device they simply text out a link to download it and you dont have to pay again. Ive done this for both my husband and myself when weve switched phones in the past. It would be nice if Palm would do the same provided you give them proof (your palm login should be proof enough) that you are the owner/user of both WebOS devices resolution aside. Even if they would be willing to put a time frame like say a year after purchase on it would be fine with me or even make you pay a little extra for download protection/device transfer.
    Melissa
    Cingular Razr > TMobile Blackberry Curve 8300 > Sprint Palm Centro > Sprint Blackberry Curve 8320 > Sprint Blackberry Curve 8530 > Sprint Palm Pre > Verizon Pixi +
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    You lost me when you chose PS3 over 360...
    sketch42 - when i buy an xbox game at best buy, i go back to best buy for a refund or for service. these days, a retailer is expected to stand behind the products they sell as if they are their own. in this case, palm is the retailer.

anyway, long story short: they ended up giving me a refund for NFS which i bought 8 months ago. all in all, 2 hours on chat or the phone with palm support. i guess i'm happy, but they have a problem ahead of themselves. a problem that at the moment will hold me back from buying any apps.
    Yes but if you bought an xbox game and tried to shove it in a ps3. The retailer has no obligation to refund the game.. is it good business practices, certainly... but I assume a consumer can't expect it

The preacher and pixi are different products makes no difference they run the same os.
    Does palm need to fix this to insure a happy user base (as iphone users can sign in to their itunes account on their ipad and iphone and download the same apps regardless of resolution) yes they do.. but until then you have to call a duck and duck when you see it
    but i didn't buy an xbox game trying to shove it into a ps3. those are two completely different platforms. i bought a webos game and i am trying to load it onto another webos device.

i also buy windows7 games for my hp, and i expect them to work on other computers i will own in the future that run windows7 (like a dell?). different hardware but the same platform. thats my point. or like how ps3 games will work in the ps3 slim.
    Look, i'm not saying you're wrong. It's just that before the pixi had pdk apps they where viewed as two different products.

Until palm fixes it you need to continue to look at it as such.

As a side note : European pres where considered different in terms of how apps where handled. EU have their own game id's even in the same title. Was it palms decision to do that.. I don't know.. but this needs to be corrected before webos becomes more fragmented than android
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Look, i'm not saying you're wrong. It's just that before the pixi had pdk apps they where viewed as two different products.

Until palm fixes it you need to continue to look at it as such.

As a side note : European pres where considered different in terms of how apps where handled. EU have their own game id's even in the same title. Was it palms decision to do that.. I don't know.. but this needs to be corrected before webos becomes more fragmented than android
    And so with the new palm device with it's higher resolution should I have to rebuy the high def version? no. that would be insane.

palm needs to fix this. also they should allow multiple profiles.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    The problem is not with Palm. Your profile is tied to one version of the app (specific to PRE). Now that you have a Pixi the app is DIFFERENT which means your profile doesn't recognize that you have bought it before and asks you to pay for it.

EA is responsible for it as they have made two different apps (with 2 different catalog numbers) for the two devices. This issue is not unique to Palm. Lots of iphone apps are playable on ipad on iphone's resolution and there are some that automatically scale up or down based on the device you are using. Then there are some HD versions that require you to pay again for the same app and most of the times more. I remember there was a game that had a 3GS and a 3G version, I unfortunately bought the 3G version and then had to pay for the 3GS version again.

Palm can not do anything about it. If the developers submits two different versions of an app and they are both granted different software ids it can not grant you use of one on the basis that you bought another from the same developer. That model would be a nightmare to support or even sell to app makers.

I think the best thing is to lodge a complaint with EA and then vote with your dollars, boycott that app maker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast