Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It's my understanding that there's two ways to make games for both devices.

You can have one application that's compatible with both (and therefore both versions have the same app ID). If it's the same app ID, then you only pay once. However, by compiling directly for the Pre, you do get a performance boost on that device since it'll be more optimized for that device. (To compile for both you need to compile for the Pixi architecture).

OR, you can have two different versions. I'd bet if you looked at the app ID for the Pixi version in this case, and it's something like com.ea.nfsu-pixi (just a guess). If that's the case, technically the two are different games, and yes, unfortunately, that means you have to pay twice.
    this is exactly what I've been trying to say
    This is where Apple's system has an advantage since one can reinstall previously purchased apps on another device one owns just by signing on to the same iTunes account.
    I hope HP Palm can sort this out before their tablet is released. If one were to own an app for their Pre, I think it would be seen as a disadvantage vs Apple's system if one had to pay again just to install the same app on the tablet.
    Perhaps if there could be a way to 'link' profiles to the same purchase account?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    This is where Apple's system has an advantage since one can reinstall previously purchased apps on another device one owns just by signing on to the same iTunes account.
    I hope HP Palm can sort this out before their tablet is released. If one were to own an app for their Pre, I think it would be seen as a disadvantage vs Apple's system if one had to pay again just to install the same app on the tablet.
    Perhaps if there could be a way to 'link' profiles to the same purchase account?
    its a matter of implementing a system where your game/app would need to scale properly to the proper resolution and force devs NOT to make 2 apps
    Am on the same problem.. my case was escalated to tier 3... they asked me to send them the recepit.. I did... try calling them... they are gentle man....
    I am going to hold off. I was really more interested in seeing how the game would play on my Pixi. I had finished everything that I had on my Pre that won't move to my Pixi. I don't want to have everything shifted to my Pixi if there is going to be a new WebOS phone in the next 6 months. I am hoping that Palm addresses the problem by then.
    guys-- I completely understand that they are technically two different apps with two unique IDs and that is where this mess comes from. I don't think anyone disagrees with this fact.

The point I was trying to get across to Palm was that I paid for a "title", that was promised to me upon purchase to be compatible with a certain platform. I don't care if they have compiled 100 versions with 100 unique IDs, they should all be linked somehow in the system so that the users will always have access to that title within that platform on any compatible hardware. End of story.

We have to remember that us precentral.net users are not representative of the general population. We browse and post on forums, we tend to install homebrew, and we generally have less reserve about messing with the inner workings of our devices. This makes us power users, or advanced users. The layman has no idea what an application ID is for or what the word "compile" even means. To him/her, they buy a "title" and that is what they will expect to transfer over. Any kind of excuse about multiple versions or different IDs will just frustrate them and lead to a bad end-user experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12