Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So the inevitable finally happened and the metal tab came off the flap covering the USB jack on my Pixi...essentially rendering the flap useless as protection.
    Happened on my original cover that came with the phone (that one had a plastic tab...but the same principle) and it happened on this TS cover replacement.

What have you all done? Cut the flap off? Tried to re-glue it (what would be a good glue to use?) ? Bought a new TS cover? Duct taped it? Jury rigged it with paper clips and hot glue?
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    So the inevitable finally happened and the metal tab came off the flap covering the USB jack on my Pixi...essentially rendering the flap useless as protection.
    Happened on my original cover that came with the phone (that one had a plastic tab...but the same principle) and it happened on this TS cover replacement.

What have you all done? Cut the flap off? Tried to re-glue it (what would be a good glue to use?) ? Bought a new TS cover? Duct taped it? Jury rigged it with paper clips and hot glue?
    Happened to me a few weeks ago. Super glued it then. Happened again yesterday, super glue again. Assuming I will have to do this once a month even if I do it well. I have a hard time opening it most of the time (short fingernails) so I can just tell I'm ripping it off when I open it. Cool design but still flawed.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    Seeing that the charging port is constantly being used, I would just cut the flap off. Glue won't last long, unless your planning on not constantly open and close it. Also have you thought of trying to get the phone fix or replace. You might wanna try that before doing anything else.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by rush; 08/09/2010 at 03:50 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by chad4359 View Post
    Cool design but still flawed.
    yeah...it really should've just been embedded in the rubber somehow instead of glued on top of it.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    My wife has had her second one break already. Right now the flap isn't sticking out too far so she is not complaining as much as when the the first one broke.

This has been the only reasonable solution I could come up with: I went to Radio Shack and bought 3 @ $4.69 each. That should get her through the next year if she is careful.
    SPH-8500-->600-->650-->700-->755p-->Pre
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Seeing that the charging port is constantly being used, I would just cut the flap off. Gluing it won't really last long, unless your planning not constantly open and close it. Also have you thought of trying to get the phone fix or replace. You might wanna try that before doing anything else.

Best of luck.
    Well, I have a Touchstone at home, but not at work. So I technically COULD go all day without opening the flap, but some days the streaming radio and such just eats away at the battery life. I would cut it off right away, but I am a little concerned about pocket lint and grime getting into the port. Thought maybe someone might have a somewhat reasonably long-lasting fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    yeah...it really should've just been embedded in the rubber somehow instead of glued on top of it.
    Agree 100%. I have thought about cutting it off but it's so sleek and smooth that a gaping hole in the side just is not cool. I'll keep gluing it until I find a better way.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    if you start a chat session with Palm support, they will send you another one. There is also a thread around here where a guy glued in in place and used a dremel to cut a hole for the cable. Looks very slick.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Lucky for now, mine stays shut without the metal. I only plug it in like once evey few weeks, only if I need to USB something since I TS charge. I can press the flag "in" more and it gets "stuck" under the case which holds it, if that makes any sense.
    I chatted with Palm and they sent a new one after asking many arbitrary questions. Not bad though I'm happy they cover their products when they have poor designs
    Quote Originally Posted by n5nhl View Post
    My wife has had her second one break already. Right now the flap isn't sticking out too far so she is not complaining as much as when the the first one broke.

This has been the only reasonable solution I could come up with: I went to Radio Shack and bought 3 @ $4.69 each. That should get her through the next year if she is careful.
    The same problem with the charger flap happened to my on my touchstone cover...May I ask what you bought at radio shack? The basic cover?

I bought the touchstone because my original cover started getting loose, but I never got the touchstone charger. If I can get the cover replaced from palm I may get the charger as to avoid this problem in the future.

EDIT--I'd like to just find if there's another metal tab I can glue in there. I was unfortunately not able to find the one that fell out.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gtramontelli View Post
    EDIT--I'd like to just find if there's another metal tab I can glue in there. I was unfortunately not able to find the one that fell out.
    Mine is stuck to the magnet on the underlying plastic TS backing. Check there...
    I lost mine months ago. It worried me at first but now I enjoy not having it. It is much easier to just plug in the sync cable and it gives me an additional "sensory" clue as to the orientation of my Pre.
    I lost mine months ago as well. I blow out the dust every one in a while. I only use it for charging anyway with the ftp access and wifi media sync.
    I fixed it by putting a little glob of superglue on the end of the "stick", allowing it to harden, and then squeezing it back in. Works well enough.
    I did the chat thing also and got a new one on the way. My girlfriends just came off yesterday. Talk to palm and tell them what's up and they'll hook you up.
    Verizon Pixi Plus on 1.4.5 w/ Preware
    I've fixed my wife's Pixi charging door twice. It lasted about 6 months and then I had to do it again. I used "Loctite Ultra Gel Super Glue, Rubber-Toughened Formula" that I got at Home Depot.

The metal tab is embedded in rubber on 5 out of 6 sides so the glue holds pretty well.

For those that think you lost the metal piece, check on the magnet. That's where my wife's was both times even though she was sure it was gone forever.
    Palm IIIx > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 300 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre
    I had a quick and simple , albeit grammatically incorrect, chat with Palm support and I have another one on the way.
    I ended up also going the chat route, and they are sending me a new touchstone cover. I see that the touchstone base is only like $15 or $20 bucks on amazon...I may go ahead and grab one so I don't have to deal with this any more. Do you guys know if the touchstone base works with the charger that came with the phone?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by gtramontelli View Post
    I ended up also going the chat route, and they are sending me a new touchstone cover. I see that the touchstone base is only like $15 or $20 bucks on amazon...I may go ahead and grab one so I don't have to deal with this any more. Do you guys know if the touchstone base works with the charger that came with the phone?
    You mean the cord? Yes...you would only need to buy the puck and the cover for the phone itself. I lucked out and got mine through Radio Shack when they were DEEPLY discounted. Got both for about $20 total.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast