Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    My temporary fix: double-sided Scotch tape.

So far so good. I don't expect it to last, but it beats the mess I was making with superglue only to have the thing fall right off again.
    Quote Originally Posted by chad4359 View Post
    Agree 100%. I have thought about cutting it off but it's so sleek and smooth that a gaping hole in the side just is not cool. I'll keep gluing it until I find a better way.
    Some times a gaping hole is cool like when shooting clay pidgins but use iphones instead that was fun (long story) I just used an epoxy and its been on ffor 6 months and has not came off
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
    I've had my Pixi for over 6 months now, with no battery door issues. My problem is that about a month ago, the little rubber strip above the battery door started stretching for some reason. Then, the other day it had gotten so bad that I accidentally put my finger right through it! Now you can see all the way through, and the rubber on the whole side is rather loose. Do you think Palm would replace it in this instance as in those with battery door issues, or is a new purchase looming in my future?
    Samsung SCH-a870 -> LG EnV 2 -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Refurb Palm Pixi Plus
    same thing happent to me, I just glued rubber and added half a headphone in ear magnet to the usb covers, works just great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    if you start a chat session with Palm support, they will send you another one. There is also a thread around here where a guy glued in in place and used a dremel to cut a hole for the cable. Looks very slick.
    Nice and easy. After about 10 mins or less of the Palm chat I was told to expect a new back cover in my mail box in 5-7 business days. While it sucks that the design is kinda flawed its at least nice that Palm will send you a new cover with relative ease. Only question I have is if they will cover the replacement cover in about 8 months when that metal tab falls off...
    I received my replacement back cover in 3 days. I started up a chat, told them that the magnet on the charging door flap fell off, and glue just wouldn't hold it on. They told me to expect one in 3-5 business days.
    Verizon Pixi Plus on 1.4.5 w/ Preware
    Getting a new one does not solve the problem, it just relieves you of dealing with it for a month till the thing falls off again. There is however one solution that i have found that seems to be working perfectly for me. I use magnetic paint. It's original intent of this paint was to put on your wall so that you can use novelty magnetic words to write poetry and what not on your wall. Greta gift for kids and collage students btw. i used a small amount on the strip where the piece fell off and now it sticks again without prevail. and the best part is its paint, its not going to fall off, and if it happens to wear of at some point, well just dip in a nail polish brush and put an new coat on.
    Quote Originally Posted by James.Wulfe View Post
    Getting a new one does not solve the problem, it just relieves you of dealing with it for a month till the thing falls off again. There is however one solution that i have found that seems to be working perfectly for me. I use magnetic paint. It's original intent of this paint was to put on your wall so that you can use novelty magnetic words to write poetry and what not on your wall. Greta gift for kids and collage students btw. i used a small amount on the strip where the piece fell off and now it sticks again without prevail. and the best part is its paint, its not going to fall off, and if it happens to wear of at some point, well just dip in a nail polish brush and put an new coat on.

do you know if you can get like small sample sizes of this stuff? i dont want to have to buy a whole gallon for no reason lol.
    yes you should be able to do a Google search for "magnetic paint" and get a shopping results. i have found that you can buy it as cheap as 7 bucks for 11OZ of the stuff in aerosol. just spray some on to a small beveled surface or a cup and dip a fine brush into the solution to paint the flap. only downfall to this is though that i have not seen any other colors then gray, so its only a good thing you don't need that much or you might have an awkward looking case.
    did palm support send you guys touchstone covers or regular pixi covers?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    i've had this problem more times than i can even remember. i've gotten quite a few replacements from palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    did palm support send you guys touchstone covers or regular pixi covers?
    I got a touchstone one.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    Just got off the (chat)line with palm, they are sending one over, thanks a bunch!
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I like this idea of magnetic paint. You can probably make your own magnetic paint with some iron filings mixed with a little spray paint. Take a file and file down a piece of steel, collect the filings, mix with solvent based paint and apply. Any color you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by James.Wulfe View Post
    yes you should be able to do a Google search for "magnetic paint" and get a shopping results. i have found that you can buy it as cheap as 7 bucks for 11OZ of the stuff in aerosol. just spray some on to a small beveled surface or a cup and dip a fine brush into the solution to paint the flap. only downfall to this is though that i have not seen any other colors then gray, so its only a good thing you don't need that much or you might have an awkward looking case.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I made some homebrew magnetic paint for the flap. It was actually pretty easy to do. I filed a large nail with a file over a piece of paper to colect the iron dust. I sprayed a puddle of black spray paint onto another piece of paper. with a small artist brush dip in the paint, then dip in the dust, back in the paint, etc, then apply the paint to the flap where the metal piece used to be. let the paint dry before closing the flap.

It holds the flap closed pretty well. Though not as powerfully as the original metal strip. I'm gonna try an extra coat or two to see if i can make the magnetic attraction a little stronger.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    update: the homemade magnetic paint worked well while it lasted but it started to flake off so I scraped the rest off with a pick. Things I've tried so far without success,,,, homemade magnetic paint, super glue, epoxy glue, contact cement, none of them worked for any significant length of time. The metal piece should have been molded right into the rubber flap during the molding process. It's a small thing but very annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by xalky View Post
    update: the homemade magnetic paint worked well while it lasted but it started to flake off so I scraped the rest off with a pick. Things I've tried so far without success,,,, homemade magnetic paint, super glue, epoxy glue, contact cement, none of them worked for any significant length of time. The metal piece should have been molded right into the rubber flap during the molding process. It's a small thing but very annoying.
    What about a small piece of something like heat shrink to hold it in place?
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chad4359 View Post
    What about a small piece of something like heat shrink to hold it in place?
    How? Please explain.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    When I saw this thread, I thought that the touchstone cover couldn't be that bad. To my surprise, the metal shim came loose after only a week. The regular cover flap is a bit different with a black piece of metal that seems to be pretty secure.

As I superglue the polished metal back on, I'm thinking the shiny inside cover + the metal should be scraped with sandpaper so the glue has something to hold on to. Has anyone else done this? Otherwise, with polished surfaces, there is no chance for the original glue or any after to catch hold on to something.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Oh yeah. On my last 2 glue jobs with epoxy, and then later with contact cement I roughed up the surface of the metal on a sharpening stone. On the rubber side it was a little more difficult, I used a sharp metal pick to clean it and to scratch the rubber for better adhesion.
    Here's what I'm thinking now: part of the problem is that one part is stiff and the other is flexible and they're dissimilar materials, finding an adhesive that satisfys both materials is difficult.
    I'm leaning towards trying the magnetic paint idea again but this time with some pvc pipe cement or some type of flexible rubber material that'll somehow react with or bite into the rubber. Any body know what the specific material of the lid is?
    Ie: is it pvc, pet etc... This might help in selecting the proper glue.

BTW: the last attempt with contact cement stuch very well.to the roughed up metal but it pealed right off the rubber.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast