Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. vladi's Avatar
    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    848 Global Posts
       #1  
    Whenever I hit 160 characters I can't go on with typing, I have to send the message and then type the new one. All the phones can combine few text messages into one so is this something that is only 1.4.3 related or just my phone?
  2. #2  
    1.4.3? I didn't know we had a 1.4.3 update. I know here in America we still ha ve 1.4.1.1 and others in different countreis are on 1.4.5, but didn't know about 1.4.3.

    Anyway, my Pre Plus usually allows me to keep on typing after 160 characters, but after 160 it sends the texts in segments. It is very annoying.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

    Here to help and learn
  3. #3  
    160 is the carrier limit per text message. All carriers have an assigned character limit for text messages.
    if you continue typing it will split it up into 2 messages.

    what is this 1.4.3 you speak of???
  4. #4  
    I believe the 1.4.3 is something specific to the Pixi on certain carriers.

    From what I have read, yes, some are limited to 160 chars on their phones, by certain carriers, as well.

    They don't get the freedom of the Pre, which lets you keep typing and then just splits it for you.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  5. vladi's Avatar
    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    848 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I believe the 1.4.3 is something specific to the Pixi on certain carriers.

    From what I have read, yes, some are limited to 160 chars on their phones, by certain carriers, as well.

    They don't get the freedom of the Pre, which lets you keep typing and then just splits it for you.
    I used to have a Pre and I knew I could just type as much as I wanted to so I was surprised when my Pixi just stopped typing once it hit 160.

    As a matter of fact most of the carriers are limited to 160 per sms which is OK but Pixi is limited by 160 characters per send which is not a case with the Pre. Weird. Maybe some O2, Vodafone guys can verify if this is a universal Pixi "feature" or just ATT.

    Also 1.4.3 is webOS version for ATT Pixi Plus
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post

    Also 1.4.3 is webOS version for ATT Pixi Plus
    What the frig? The ATT Pixi Plus has Webos 1.4.3? Why? And what would happen if you put it on a Pre?
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

    Here to help and learn
  7. vladi's Avatar
    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    848 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    What the frig? The ATT Pixi Plus has Webos 1.4.3? Why? And what would happen if you put it on a Pre?
    Maybe you would get to type exact 160 letters :P
  8. #8  
    I have 1.4.3 with at&t and I'm able to keep typing beyond 160 characters w/o any problems, it seems to be a carrier issue. At&t here and my Pixi Plus goes beyond 160 char ok guys.
  9. #9  
    Ok but, what the frig does 1.4.3 do?
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

    Here to help and learn
  10. #10  
    If youre sending it to an email, on any webOS phone, its limited and wont split.
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

    Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
  11. saves's Avatar
    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    #11  
    I'm on Sprint Pixi and it will let me go forever it seems, I've sent 4 messages worth of text at once, it auto split it. Not that annoying, my GF Android phone does the same thing, though I do not know what their limit is.
  12. vladi's Avatar
    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    848 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    I have 1.4.3 with at&t and I'm able to keep typing beyond 160 characters w/o any problems, it seems to be a carrier issue. At&t here and my Pixi Plus goes beyond 160 char ok guys.
    That must be it. I am currently on unlocked ATT Pixi using a sim from a carrier that is not in CarrierDataBase file. I guess once I get some time to go into the database to add my carrier I would have to play with some SMS settings. Lovely!!
  13. #13  
    You got it!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal View Post
    Ok but, what the frig does 1.4.3 do?
    nothing...its just Att's version of webos at the moment

    but yea, im on sprint and have no limit to my texts. i do wish carriers would take that stupid limit off tho or at least increase it. that was the limit years ago when people first started to "text" message, nowadays people text more than call
  15. #15  
    I'm still trying to figure out how to get an MP3 to attach to a message.
  16. #16  
    If you have downloaded Preware, there is a patch for the messaging app that will allow you to add .mp3 files and send them via MMS, look into it.
  17. #17  
    I'm on Verizon, mine splits it. The work around is to attach a photo and it seems to be unlimited on the text you can attach.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by inverse121 View Post
    I'm on Verizon, mine splits it. The work around is to attach a photo and it seems to be unlimited on the text you can attach.
    I'm coming from a Droid. The droid sent/received messages of any length with out splitting them. Is there a patch to make it work the same way on the pixi?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by nothing0 View Post
    I'm coming from a Droid. The droid sent/received messages of any length with out splitting them. Is there a patch to make it work the same way on the pixi?

    Every phone splits a text message when it reaches 160 characters whether they make it noticeable or not. It's not called ShortMessageSystem(SMS) for nothing. Btw, this is my first day with a web os phone I'm coming from a bb tour, I'm loving it so far
  20. #20  
    My friend has an iPhone on ATT and I have an ATT Pre Plus - both of us can send as long of messages to each other as we want (he writes a BOOK for a message sometimes), but if my other friend with an EnV Touch on Verizon sends me a long message, it splits it when I get it and the same thing happens if I send her a long message. So I don't know if it's Smartphone related or carrier-related...?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions