Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SMS is supposed to be limited to 160 characters. Which is why Twitter has the same limit, to maintain this compatibility.

Even on CDMA it's the same.

Why text messages are limited to 160 characters | Technology | Los Angeles Times
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    It's the limitation inherently built into SMS (as mentioned previously, short messaging system). Some phones, when interacting with other phones of the same type (i.e. iPhone) will realize this (embedded Metadata) and combine the message when it is sent or received. That is all part of the UI. If you looked at the actual packages sent (check your or your friends carrier usage log/phone bill) you'll notice that they sent multiple messages (if its more than 160 characters), regardless of what the phone displays.

Unless you're talking about BBM, which is a completely different story. .
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Some phones, when interacting with other phones of the same type (i.e. iPhone) will realize this (embedded Metadata) and combine the message when it is sent or received. That is all part of the UI.
    That was exactly my question. Is there a patch to make the pixi act like this? The 1 of 2 and 2 of 2 is annoying to me. Then when receiving, I get a third message that says "preceding msg modified, media objects were removed" even though no media was sent to me. I just want long messages to come through in one message like android.

Thank you.
    I have the same problem using an unlocked German Pre with a sim from a carrier that is not in the CarrierDataBase file. I found that if I restart my Pre with an O2 sim, and then restart it again with the other sim, I can type text beyond 160 characters... until I do a device restart or even a Luna restart, and then the problem recurs.

So if anyone can advise how to go into the database to add my carrier and change the SMS settings, I would appreciate it!
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I have 1.4.3 with at&t and I'm able to go beyond 160 and keep typing, my Pixi Plus will just split them into two on the char count at the bottom, once past 160 chars it displays a number 2, I assume if it passes beyond 320 chars it would display a number 3 and so on.
    @PlayPlamPixiPlus

I think you spelled Palm wrong lol.
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imop45 View Post
    If youre sending it to an email, on any webOS phone, its limited and wont split.

Thanks for the real answer. I have a 1.4.5 pixi and it does auto split when sending SMS to SMS. However, when sending SMS to email, I hit the limit and cannot type any longer.
    My Pixi+ auto splits the messages per 160 chars, and if you notice in the corner next to the send button, it will indicate the number of messages which will be sent, Example (2) or (3)

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12