Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got the Palm Pixi Plus on ATT last week. I was very impressed with it right out of the box. I'm a former iPhone user since they came out, but recently I just kept having bad luck with them. So i decided to go with something new. It has a lot of the same features, which I like. I really liked being able to jailbreak on the iPhone. What are some helpful tips about webOS and is there a jailbreak for it?
    Search forums and you will be surprised at what you do with webos. From patch to overclocking the things you can do are almost endless. First step is to download preware.
    I suggest you install Preware which allows you to download and install patches and homebrew applications on your Pixi. You'll discover there's lot of hacks, etc. available for the Palm WebOS phones.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    2nd step go to the tips and tricks forums and READ.....lots of info, people will help around here but they also EXPECT you to try and find it on your own as a lot of info is already documented....I found most of the things I know just by reading old posts, happy hunting
    to install preware you will need to install webOS QI on your PC and then connect your phone via usb. The code to put the device in development mode (to install Preware) is the konami code which you type on the phone.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    search WebOS Quick Install & Uber kernel plus Govnah app
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    to install preware you will need to install webOS QI on your PC and then connect your phone via usb. The code to put the device in development mode (to install Preware) is the konami code which you type on the phone.
    does webOS QI run on Mac?
  8.    #9  
    I'll read up on this stuff and try to figure them out. I hope they're as easy as things were on the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    I never had the iphone so I won't know but once preware is on your phone it very easy to add and remove patches

plus adding Uber kernel and the Govnah app will my your phone faster and smoother
    it won't overclock the pixi but it makes a big difference from a stock pixi
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    You may very well find things are easier on the Pixi Plus than on the iPhone, just because the Palm devices are already open for modding/patching. All you have to do is turn on developer mode on your phone, and you have all the control over your Pixi Plus that you had to jailbreak an iPhone to get.
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    You may very well find things are easier on the Pixi Plus than on the iPhone, just because the Palm devices are already open for modding/patching. All you have to do is turn on developer mode on your phone, and you have all the control over your Pixi Plus that you had to jailbreak an iPhone to get.
    So preware isn't jailbreaking persay? I'm not a super tech savvy person, will I be able to understand the developer mode?
    Quote Originally Posted by utfan086 View Post
    So preware isn't jailbreaking persay? I'm not a super tech savvy person, will I be able to understand the developer mode?
    It's a matter of semantics in some ways. Jail breaking implies you are doing something wrong. Developer mode is built in to webOS and they encourage the homebrew community to create customizations (generally referred to here as patches).

You will have no trouble understanding developer mode. For a user, it's just a button that un-protects parts of your phone so you can apply patches, etc.

The way you get in to developer mode is to type webos20090606 and tap the icon that appears. Then reboot and you are done.

Once you've done that, read - read - and read some more. You need to install Quick Install and then use it to install Preware.

If you read all the sticky welcome threads and have any tech skills at all, you will be fine.

Whereas Apple works hard to prevent and undo jail breaking, and voids your warranty. (That led to a recent DMCA ruling against them. )

See the difference?
    Last edited by Workerb33; 08/02/2010 at 03:43 PM.
    Welcome to the community - I would be interested in hearing about your learning curve experience with the Pixi. I have never had any Apple products, so I don't know how hard/easy it is to learn a new OS.
    No need to jailbreak the phone, its all set up for yo by palm. all you have to do is type in the konami code, and turn on dev. mode.

Konami Code: up up down down left right left right b a start (no spaces)
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    don't confuse the man

you can type either webos20090606 or upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
    to get to developer mode doesn't matter whichever you pick both work the same
    Quote Originally Posted by errbin View Post
    don't confuse the man

you can type either webos20090606 or upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
    to get to developer mode doesn't matter whichever you pick both work the same
    right, don't confuse him. That's why I pointed to a previous post with a simpler method - because you are going to confuse the man... There was no point in adding a second and more confusing post...
  17.    #18  
    So for this code? Where do I type that in at?
    Quote Originally Posted by utfan086 View Post
    So for this code? Where do I type that in at?
    Usually on the keyboard (jk)

Open the slider and then open the launcher to any page. Type in the code from the above post, and an icon will pop up. Tap the icon to enable Developer Mode and you are all ready to install Preware! Easy!
  19.    #20  
    I guess I need to read more. I can't figure out how to get the code to work.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast