Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This guide will help you get tethering going with a Sprint Pixi over USB.
    This is not a Mobile Hotspot discussion thread.

Required materials:
    Sprint Palm Pixi (should also work for Verizon Pixi Plus, AT&T not confirmed)
    PC with recent Linux distro OR Windows
    Required software:
    On the Pixi: Terminal, freetether and freetetherd (can be obtained via Preware through the Testing Feeds)
    On Windows XP only: Install the attached USBnet driver.
    On Windows Vista/7: Make sure you set up the USBnet driver!
    Instructions:
    1) In the Pixi's terminal, type “usbnet enable” and then “reboot” as instructed. This will reset your Palm device and make it act as a network adapter.
    2) Once your Palm device has rebooted, start freetether and turn IP Forwarding on. The WAN IP might be null… Don’t panic! The next step will get around this problem.
    3) Enter the following into the Pixi's terminal:
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o rmnet0 -j MASQUERADE
    4) Done!

Feel free to post your results, questions, etc. Also, please keep the discussion restricted to the Pixi because I found that a lot of the methods Pre users use do not work on the Pixi.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
    • In Windows, it has been confirmed that Novacom (and in turn WOSQI) may stop working with USBnet enabled. If you are using Windows, you are encouraged to use a terminal app on the Pixi so you can easily switch USBnet on and off.

• Attached is a required driver for USBnet support in Windows XP

• When you look in freetether, your WAN IP will most likely be null at all times. This is normal, and tethering should work anyway. I can see how this can be confusing, thanks kajensen119!

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by timjhenry; 09/09/2010 at 05:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I cannot find this "freetether" you speak of.
  3.    #3  
    I finally have enough posts to add links. I'll edit them into my original post. Hang tight.

EDIT: Added them. eps1lon3, see the links in the first post.
    Last edited by timjhenry; 07/29/2010 at 08:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Thanks for the links. For some odd reason Preware had problems loading the "all" testing feed. Luckily, I just used Install Package and voila! Still en route to trying this out

Edit: Got it working! Bluetooth tethering is a go too! I did NOT have novacom installed, I used the terminal found in preware.

And I followed this http://mytether.net/#other and installed the "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device". Dunno if it was unnecessary.
    Last edited by eps1lon3; 07/29/2010 at 11:50 PM. Reason: So I don't double post.
    Any idea if this will work on a Verizon Pixi Plus? I've tried many methods for USB tethering except this one, but I won't get a chance to try this until tonight.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Verizon Pixi plus has built in free Mobile Hotspot
    Yes, but I'd like to use USB for whenever I get near the 5GB cap that Mobile Hotspot has. The cap does not apply to anything else except MH.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    you sure about that?
    Positive, I have read confirmations on here and on the MyTether site.
    Also, does that last iptables terminal command stick after a reboot or must that be entered each time the phone's rebooted? If not, what is the command to turn it off and set things back to normal?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Also, does that last iptables terminal command stick after a reboot or must that be entered each time the phone's rebooted? If not, what is the command to turn it off and set things back to normal?
    It might stick after reboot. I'm not 100% certain of this. If the rule sticks, it's harmless as far as I know (on a Sprint Pixi without MHS at least). However, if you'd like to get rid of the iptables rule:
    iptables -t nat -F POSTROUTING
    That should do it. Again, I have no idea how this stuff affects devices with MHS, since that doesn't work on the Sprint Pixi.

ADD: If you want to read more on iptables and what it does, check out the man page here: iptables(8) - Linux man page
    Last edited by timjhenry; 07/30/2010 at 04:58 PM.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by eps1lon3 View Post
    Thanks for the links. For some odd reason Preware had problems loading the "all" testing feed. Luckily, I just used Install Package and voila! Still en route to trying this out

Edit: Got it working! Bluetooth tethering is a go too! I did NOT have novacom installed, I used the terminal found in preware.

And I followed this My Tether : Tethering for Palm Pre - turn your Palm Pre into 3G WiFi router! and installed the "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device". Dunno if it was unnecessary.
    Glad to hear you got it working. A terminal program on the device will work just as well. I just find it's easier to type on a PC going through Novacom. The "Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device" is a necessary step to get USBnet working with Windows. You won't have the necessary connectivity without it, so it was right to do that.
    timjhenry you're my hero! Confirmed working on a Verizon Pixi Plus! I'm typing this while USB tethered right now. I had been fussing with this for two weeks now and had came to the conclusion that Verizon was blocking every single method except Mobile Hotspot to tether. Now I know that's not the case. Thanks a lot!
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Nice. anybody tried it with a macbook?
    Quote Originally Posted by timjhenry View Post
    It might stick after reboot. I'm not 100% certain of this. If the rule sticks, it's harmless as far as I know (on a Sprint Pixi without MHS at least). However, if you'd like to get rid of the iptables rule:

That should do it. Again, I have no idea how this stuff affects devices with MHS, since that doesn't work on the Sprint Pixi.

ADD: If you want to read more on iptables and what it does, check out the man page here: [url= - Linux man page[/url]
    Just tested and the command does not stick after a reboot. Is there a file somewhere I can set the command to stick with? Something under /etc/network/interfaces or /etc/resolv.conf for example? Thanks again.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Just tested and the command does not stick after a reboot. Is there a file somewhere I can set the command to stick with? Something under /etc/network/interfaces or /etc/resolv.conf for example? Thanks again.
    I just tested it, the command sticks, but it doesn't work for whatever reason. You must add the rule again for it to work. I made a cruddy script that wipes the rule, sets the rule, and displays the nat table so you can see it worked. I named it nat.sh and put it on my Pixi in "USB Drive" mode, so now I can just launch it by typing "sh /media/internal/nat.sh" at the terminal. There is probably some init script the Pixi runs when it starts up, but I'm not messing with that.

Quote Originally Posted by nat.sh
    #!/bin/bash
    iptables -t nat -F
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o rmnet0 -j MASQUERADE
    iptables -t nat -L
    I also tested Windows 7 using the technique that eps1lon3 posted. Works like a charm! For Mac OS, you would probably need to use Bluetooth. I couldn't find much on USBnet for Mac OS out there.
    Thanks again. I found that the command only works after you have turned on IP Forwarding with Freetether anyway, but you can't run the command then use Freetether, so running a script at boot probably wouldn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by kalex View Post
    Verizon Pixi plus has built in free Mobile Hotspot
    Not free Verizon makes you pay
    No, it used to be $40 per month but now it's free for the first 5gb of data and $.05 per mb afterwards.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I used the instructions found here:

"kimtuck.com/a/69_180_187_109/74c9e856f62d74991df03e005897cd8c.htm"

Works without having to run any programs, or enter commands. Just plug the USB cable in and start browsing.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast