Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    this def works... i followed these instructions and have had usb tethering on my sprint pixi working on xp pro sp3... i recently switched computers, and have usb, and bluetooth tethering working on my new windows 7 machine.... a breeze, if u pay close attention to follow the instructions.... i prefer usb... getting 140k a sec + running utorrent...
    oh and one key part is to not be lazy and set the ip address and gateway and such manually... if u dont it will prob only work until one of the devices is rebooted...
    oh and one more thing (keep posting sry)

i was curious what torrent speeds people were getting, using bluetooth to tether or using a usb cable.... with bluetooth i was getting no more than 40kbs, but with usb i get 140... is that about what everyone else is getting? and when i connect through bt i get a warning on my phone about sprint not allowing bt tethering, and i dont get internet access on my laptop until i click "ok" on the phone.... is that normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by EOConcepts View Post
    So will this work with a mac via bluetooth?

UPDATE: Yes, steps I followed:

First, follow all the instructions on the 1st page. Then I used this write up to make it easier to do:

1. In preware download the Internalz app (assuming you have terminal and preware).

2. When you open InternalZ (INZ) don't stay in the directory that is defaultly loaded. Instead use the '..' button to go all the way up main directory that just has a "/" under "Internalz" text in the center of the screen.

3. Once there go to var/home/root/ (this is the default directory for Terminal)(So any file can be loaded without typing in the long directory).

4. In the menu go to Create File. make 4 flies. The names should linked to USBNET disable and enable and tethering on and off (I used 1 for teth on, 2 for teth off, on for USBNET enable, and off for USBNET disable.).

(Note to edit files just click on them then go to open, the text editor opens, then to close just swing back (can't speak pre or pixi yet: I mean the line thing))

5. (Using my file names)(You can use whatever, just make sure they make sense and try to keep them short: less typing) In '1' (file) type in the code for enabling tethering, '2' (file) type in the code to disable tethering, 'on' (file) type in usbnet enable, and in the 'off' (file) type in usbnet disable.

6. Finally now in Terminal all you have to type is:
    "sh 1" :Turns tethering on
    "sh 2" :Turns tethering off
    "sh on" :Turns on USBNET
    "sh off" :Turns USBNET off

This makes my tethering so easy.
    no more "iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o rmnet0 -j MASQUERADE" and "iptables -t nat -F POSTROUTING" every single time.

All I have to do is if your USBNET is not on
    1. Go to Terminal type: "sh on", then reboot
    2. Use freethether to turn on IP forwarding and NAT
    3. Go back to Terminal and type: "sh 1"
    4. Disable then Enable your LAN for pixe
    5. Done!

If found that if you don't turn off USBnet you never have to use the '2' file. Just use 1 over and over.

THEN FINALLY

1. Pair Pixi with Mac via Bluetooth
    2. Go to Terminal type: "sh on", then reboot
    3. Use freethether to turn on IP forwarding and NAT
    4. Go back to Terminal and type: "sh 1"
    5.Wait a sec.... Bingo. Streaming The Event within 3 minutes

Mac FTMFW
    Ummmm!! I noticed you used my post without giving me credit! Your post makes it seem like you did all of the work in figuring out the work that is in the post that is not bold!!! If you read my original post carefully I began by extending on what every one had posted and not copy anyone!

What's up!
    Quote Originally Posted by daavvis View Post
    oh and one more thing (keep posting sry)

i was curious what torrent speeds people were getting, using bluetooth to tether or using a usb cable.... with bluetooth i was getting no more than 40kbs, but with usb i get 140... is that about what everyone else is getting? and when i connect through bt i get a warning on my phone about sprint not allowing bt tethering, and i dont get internet access on my laptop until i click "ok" on the phone.... is that normal?
    Wow you guys are lucky. I get about 20-40kbps using USB. I guess the Sprint bandwidth at my location is very low. I only use my pixi as an alternate when I am not at home. Even my home gives me only 60kbps in torrents.
    Quote Originally Posted by battlebamon View Post
    Ummmm!! I noticed you used my post without giving me credit! Your post makes it seem like you did all of the work in figuring out the work that is in the post that is not bold!!! If you read my original post carefully I began by extending on what every one had posted and not copy anyone!

What's up!
    ummmmmm..... Really man? was just trying to make sure everyone had a step by step to get it to work for mac.. I'll go back and quote you on it if that'll calm you down...
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    With 2 bars of 3G, I can get torrents and normal DLs in at an average of 65 KB/s. On the 1x, it slows to about 10-16 KB/s.
    thank you
    i tried doing this but i get an error when installing freetether and also i dont see freetetherd anywhere in the testing feeds... help?
    Quote Originally Posted by e240 View Post
    i tried doing this but i get an error when installing freetether and also i dont see freetetherd anywhere in the testing feeds... help?
    Sorry no one has answered you. It seems you have not added the correct feed yet.

To get tether, you add the "all" feed.
    To get tetherd, you have to add the "pixi" feed.
    Next you need to update feeds in preware.

I had the same issue because I "blindly" assumed the "all" feed would cover "all" files. Try that and let us know the results.

Now my issue. One page back, someone else had the same issue; pixi driver can not start (code 10). No one addrssed this issue yet with XP. I am also not sure that I have followed the instructions properly. I have only the pixi for internet at the moment as I have just moved and sat-net is over $150 a month and slower than DSL.

What I did:

dl-ed teminal, tether, tetherd, and Pixi driver for Xp.

pluged pixi into computer and installed pixi driver (code 10 could not start) uninstalled, reinstalled a few times, gave up and assumed this would fix itself after the next few steps.

started terminal, usbnet, reboot.

started tether, turned on forwarding.

..... Looked for a network, could only find my local network. Reinstalled the pixi driver again. ... Looked for a network. Tried turning USB mode on, looked for a network.... Ejected "pixi", looked for a network.

I then reread every post on here, then decided to post and ask for some assistance.

I think the 1st issues is the pixi driver code 10. Please keep in mind, I have to DL to the pixi then transfer the files to the computer, THEN install the files. Oh, and there is another driver the computer is asking for, but I have not been able to find it yet. I will try to find the name of it later. Have to run to work (wher I am not allowed to use the internet for anything except email)

Myke
    sometimes there might be a problem with your registry. Search for Eusing's free registry scanner (might be spelled wrong). This might solve the problem (Warning! do not use the free version on XP 64, Vista, or Win 7.). There could be many different reasons why this would not work. Ultimately, you should just upgrade to win 7 (XP is cool /Vista sucks!).
    Quote Originally Posted by battlebamon View Post
    sometimes there might be a problem with your registry. Search for Eusing's free registry scanner (might be spelled wrong). This might solve the problem (Warning! do not use the free version on XP 64, Vista, or Win 7.). There could be many different reasons why this would not work. Ultimately, you should just upgrade to win 7 (XP is cool /Vista sucks!).
    I think you may have been addressing me. I have a registry scanner, but it does not seem to help with this issue.

RE: "upgrading" I have already cross-graded one system, but until I am comfortable with the platform, etc, I would rather keep XP on my "surfing" computers (at least I can fix those if they get a virus!)

has anyone come across the code 10 issue, or does anyone know how to start the driver if it fails like this?

Also, did I do the steps correctly to tether? (this is my first attempt at this)

Myke
    First - make sure you are using the right driver. For WinXP, use the one attached to the first message in the thread instead of the one that is linked for Windows Vista and 7.

Second - if the 'other' driver is for Novacom, ignore that. The novacom driver is what is used to talk between the Pixi and your computer for things like WebOS Quick Install and the WebOS doctor. It doesn't work once you done the USBNET enable. Disable USBNET if you need to use the Novacom driver stuff.

Otherwise it sounds like you are okay with your steps. Make sure you have the correct driver installed for the RNDIS driver (it should load under Network Adapters as Palm Pixi Network Adapter once you are using the correct driver, if you have the wrong one you may have to delete the device from device manager and choose the specific Palm Pixi driver when installing the drivers again). Enable USBNET, reboot the phone. Open freetether, enable routing, and done.

Only thing I can think of is removing the non-working Pixi from your device manager. Then disable USBNet, reboot, enable usbnet, reboot, turn on freetether and plug it in again. It might not work.

Have you tried using the WebOS Doctor? That might do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kajensen119 View Post
    First - make sure you are using the right driver. For WinXP, use the one attached to the first message in the thread instead of the one that is linked for Windows Vista and 7.

Second - if the 'other' driver is for Novacom, ignore that. The novacom driver is what is used to talk between the Pixi and your computer for things like WebOS Quick Install and the WebOS doctor. It doesn't work once you done the USBNET enable. Disable USBNET if you need to use the Novacom driver stuff.

Otherwise it sounds like you are okay with your steps. Make sure you have the correct driver installed for the RNDIS driver (it should load under Network Adapters as Palm Pixi Network Adapter once you are using the correct driver, if you have the wrong one you may have to delete the device from device manager and choose the specific Palm Pixi driver when installing the drivers again). Enable USBNET, reboot the phone. Open freetether, enable routing, and done.

Only thing I can think of is removing the non-working Pixi from your device manager. Then disable USBNet, reboot, enable usbnet, reboot, turn on freetether and plug it in again. It might not work.

Have you tried using the WebOS Doctor? That might do it.
    I think I see the problem, but I do not know how to fix it. I got the usbnet-pixi file from the first post on page one. The other driver that is not installing is the RNDIS driver. I think if I had that driver, the pixi adapter might start.

I have a pixi network adapter in device manager, but it cannot start. I also have the RNDIS listed, but no driver for it. I can not find a driver in any of the files extracted from the page 1 file, on the computer, or inside the pixi.

does that sound accurate? (and where did I miss the drivers for the RNDIS? I went back over the previous pages and did not notice it.)

TIA, as always!
    Myle
    I actually thought that the RNDIS shoudl be the one that requires the pixi driver from the first post of this thread. Try to update driver, and point it at that driver file manually.
    hmm.. You may be correct... I am going to drag my pc to a friends house and start from scratch using his internet connection. Maybe the driver did not DL correctly when I DL'ed on the pixi then transferred it to the computer. I will be back with an update in a few days. Thanks again everyone! Bbs

Myke
    I still can't find freetether or freetetherd. After loading testing feeds I could only find terminal. Any suggestions?
    In device manager, the Pixi adapter (under network adapters) is not working. "Cannot start (code 10)" and the RNDIS states that there is no driver (also listed as unknown hardware with a yellow question mark). Would you like a screen shot? Would that help with my poor explanation? (sorry, I am trying to explain better)

Rarduini;
    I know you may have done this already, but open your preware app. Once loaded, touch/click the top left corner where it says "PreWare"
    Next, select manage feeds
    Scroll down to the bottom of the next menu where it says "add feed" or "new feed"
    Enter the name: webos-testing-all with the URL: Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/all/
    Ensure the "is compressed" toggle is "on"
    Click "add Feed"
    Then do the same, but use the name: webos-testing-armv6
    URL: Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/armv6/
    Finally, backswipe and update the feeds.

The "All" feed has tether, and the "pixi" feed has tetherd. I do not know why they are split other than my guess; tether is a generic interface where as tetherd is a device specific.... command? program? I can' think of the correct word here, but it is specific to the device you are using (from what I have read)

Myke
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Llama View Post
    In device manager, the Pixi adapter (under network adapters) is not working. "Cannot start (code 10)" and the RNDIS states that there is no driver (also listed as unknown hardware with a yellow question mark). Would you like a screen shot? Would that help with my poor explanation? (sorry, I am trying to explain better)

Rarduini;
    I know you may have done this already, but open your preware app. Once loaded, touch/click the top left corner where it says "PreWare"
    Next, select manage feeds
    Scroll down to the bottom of the next menu where it says "add feed" or "new feed"
    Enter the name: webos-testing-all with the URL: Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/all/
    Ensure the "is compressed" toggle is "on"
    Click "add Feed"
    Then do the same, but use the name: webos-testing-armv6
    URL: Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/armv6/
    Finally, backswipe and update the feeds.

The "All" feed has tether, and the "pixi" feed has tetherd. I do not know why they are split other than my guess; tether is a generic interface where as tetherd is a device specific.... command? program? I can' think of the correct word here, but it is specific to the device you are using (from what I have read)

Myke
    PS, I think this is all listed in the link in the first post of this thread. I am 99.9% sure that is where I got the information from.
    I have terminal, freetether, and freetethered. On my Windows 7 PC, I have Palm Novacom and NDIS Internet Sharing Device.
    I usbnet enable, reboot, use the iptables line, enable NAT and IP forwarding, turn off then on data, then connect to my computer.
    Shows up under networks with no internet access. What do I do?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast