Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I am not sure that you have to do any of that. Typically, I just unplug my Pixi from my computer and use it as normal with no changes made. You can still use your data service like normal this way, and as far as I can tell there is no need to have the Novacom driver installed unless you need to Doctor the phone or use WebOS Quick Install (and I just use Preware for that anyway).

Also, I haven't tried the USB Passthrough app for enabling USBNet since I just leave mine enabled by default, but in looking at it it appears that yes, it would work to do that instead of using Terminal. I'll do some further poking around later.
  2.    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by danxt View Post
    here's a "dumb" question:
    When i'm finished with a tethering session, what do I need to do to end the session and get things back to normal?
    I'm thinking that the process should go something like this: (Running XP Pro SP3 & Sprint Pixi)
    1) Safely remove hardware from XP taskbar
    2) Unplug the USB
    3) open Terminal on the Pixi and run "usbnet disable" & "reboot" as instructed
    4) once reboot is finished, plug in pixi and run the reinstall novacom from webos quickinstall
    "usbnet disable" and "reboot" is all I normally do. My phone works completely normal after that.

Also, a follow-up question:
    I have a patch for my pixi that i found through preware that gives me some nice options in launcher, including showing the hidden apps. One of the hidden apps is "USB Passthrough" which has an option to enable usbnet. Could this be used instead of the terminal command to turn USBnet on and off? Anyone familiar with this?
    I just looked it up in Preware. It looks like all it does is enable usbnet like you said. It won't do the rest for you. If you want to try it, by all means go for it.
    This guide is working nicely for me. The only problem I encountered was the phone rebooting randomly. Other than that, I'm happy with the results. Thanks OP!

EDIT: I'm using a Sprint Pixi 1.4.5 with Windows 7 x64.

EDIT 2: Does anyone know why the network name keeps on incrementing? Each time I start it up, the name changes. For example, it goes from "Network 4" to "Network 5". I get irritated by these little things.
    Last edited by RockyNguyen; 10/07/2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Additions.
    is there a way to tether without having to put in the: iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o rmnet0 -j MASQUERADE

every single time I want to tether?
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    is there a way to tether without having to put in the: iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o rmnet0 -j MASQUERADE

thanks
    Good Day all, just got my Palm Pixi with Sprint for free 6 days ago.
    Been looking over this fourm to tether my phone. I found a nice and very easy way to enable and disable usbnet and the codes for tethering.

1. In preware download the Internalz app (assuming you have terminal and preware).

2. When you open InternalZ (INZ) don't stay in the directory that is defaultly loaded. Instead use the '..' button to go all the way up main directory that just has a "/" under "Internalz" text in the center of the screen.

3. Once there go to var/home/root/ (this is the default directory for Terminal)(So any file can be loaded without typing in the long directory).

4. In the menu go to Create File. make 4 flies. The names should linked to USBNET disable and enable and tethering on and off (I used 1 for teth on, 2 for teth off, on for USBNET enable, and off for USBNET disable.).

(Note to edit files just click on them then go to open, the text editor opens, then to close just swing back (can't speak pre or pixi yet: I mean the line thing))

5. (Using my file names)(You can use whatever, just make sure they make sense and try to keep them short: less typing) In '1' (file) type in the code for enabling tethering, '2' (file) type in the code to disable tethering, 'on' (file) type in usbnet enable, and in the 'off' (file) type in usbnet disable.

6. Finally now in Terminal all you have to type is:
    "sh 1" :Turns tethering on
    "sh 2" :Turns tethering off
    "sh on" :Turns on USBNET
    "sh off" :Turns USBNET off

This makes my tethering so easy.
    no more "iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o rmnet0 -j MASQUERADE" and "iptables -t nat -F POSTROUTING" every single time.

All I have to do is if your USBNET is not on
    1. Go to Terminal type: "sh on", then reboot
    2. Use freethether to turn on IP forwarding and NAT
    3. Go back to Terminal and type: "sh 1"
    4. Disable then Enable your LAN for pixe
    5. Done!

If found that if you don't turn off USBnet you never have to use the '2' file. Just use 1 over and over.

CIAO YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!
    Last edited by battlebamon; 10/12/2010 at 10:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyNguyen View Post
    This guide is working nicely for me. The only problem I encountered was the phone rebooting randomly. Other than that, I'm happy with the results. Thanks OP!

EDIT: I'm using a Sprint Pixi 1.4.5 with Windows 7 x64.

EDIT 2: Does anyone know why the network name keeps on incrementing? Each time I start it up, the name changes. For example, it goes from "Network 4" to "Network 5". I get irritated by these little things.
    Good Day,

1. I renamed my Local Area Connection that was linked to my Pixi. I named it PIXI.

2. If you don't want that annoying pop-up for the type of network you are using, all you have to do check the box at the bottom of the screen that says treat all networks as public.

(Note: If you do you would only have 1 type of security preference so if you use this computer in an infrastructure setup-ed office the techs (if not you) would probably not want you to do this! (but hey! it solves your problem))

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by battlebamon; 10/14/2010 at 09:00 AM.

thanks
    Just deiced to make everyone's life easier. Uploaded the files in this post. (Unzip first) So you can put them on your PIXI via USB, then use INT to transfer the files to the correct locations (as mentioned in my post 2 up).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Awesome! Very helpful and works perfectly!
    nice! I only copies the first file because I hated putting in the iptables ets. Thanks so much! My question is... What is sh? What does it stand for or what does it mean. I want to know for my own knowledge.
    thanks and great tip!
    I have a problem: I do all the instructions and it does not work...my phone says that phone radio is off and data is off, it also does not show up when I plug it into the computer...help would be really appreciated! Im running windows 7 and nothing works...
    nice! I only copies the first file because I hated putting in the iptables ets. Thanks so much! My question is... What is sh? What does it stand for or what does it mean. I want to know for my own knowledge.
    thanks and great tip!
    I got my definition from: computerhope.com/unix/ush.htm#03]Linux and UNIX sh command help[/url]

'sh' is the syntax used to access commands that are related to shell. I am mac and PC guy and my knowledge of linux is very low. However, I know that the PC (specifically windows 3.1) had a shell in it. The shell was used to access the features of the operating system. I was more elegant and more user friendly than dos-mode but let attractive than a GUI.

I have answered this question. However I felt that you could have you could have looked this up (yourself). One of my most favorite quotes I have heard is "look not to other for knowledge but seek, soar, and dive your way to perfect understanding."

Cool?
    Last edited by battlebamon; 10/18/2010 at 12:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmithjr42089 View Post
    I have a problem: I do all the instructions and it does not work...my phone says that phone radio is off and data is off, it also does not show up when I plug it into the computer...help would be really appreciated! Im running windows 7 and nothing works...
    The best thing I could tell you is to:

1. Backup your contacts (via pen & paper).
    2. Take your phone to the sprint (or other carrier's) store and have them reprogram your phone.
    3. Follow the steps in this forum to phone tether. When you follow the steps in this forum for phone tethering, make sure you don,t install my tether (I did this at first and it messed every thing up).
    4. Re-download your stuff.

These steps should solve your problem.
    hmmmm this does not work for me. I copied your file and put it in var/home/root/. I have usb enabled so I went to terminal and wrote "sh 1". I then went to the freetether app and enabled but it wont work. It does tether and work perfectly if I enter the whole iptables etc.

I opened the "1" file in internalz and it had iptables etc. Just does not work for whatever reason. Thanks
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Quote Originally Posted by kbrabble View Post
    I used the instructions found here:

"kimtuck.com/a/69_180_187_109/74c9e856f62d74991df03e005897cd8c.htm"

Works without having to run any programs, or enter commands. Just plug the USB cable in and start browsing.
    Hey! its nice to see someone managed to find my tutorial(even if it is a mirror) Just don't upgrade to 1.4.5, there are a few differences in the files that are altered by my tutorial that I don't yet know how to get around.
    if you have a problem with the phone, you don't need to take it to the store to reprogram.
    get webosdoctor from palm.com, then with your phone off, and connected to usb, hold volume up while turning on. A USB logo should show on the screen, then you can 'reprogram' the phone. Run webosdoctor. All the software is reinstalled to factory defaults, and your contacts should automatically be restored from your palm account (you set this up when you first activated the phone).
    hmmmm this does not work for me. I copied your file and put it in var/home/root/. I have usb enabled so I went to terminal and wrote "sh 1". I then went to the freetether app and enabled but it wont work. It does tether and work perfectly if I enter the whole iptables etc.

I opened the "1" file in internalz and it had iptables etc. Just does not work for whatever reason. Thanks

you have to enable tethering in free tethering before typing sh 1

original instructions:
    All I have to do is if your USBNET is NOT on
    5. Done!

1-2-3-4-5
    Quote Originally Posted by btsbits View Post
    Hey! its nice to see someone managed to find my tutorial(even if it is a mirror) Just don't upgrade to 1.4.5, there are a few differences in the files that are altered by my tutorial that I don't yet know how to get around.
    YO Dude!

At first I tried your tutorial (when I first bough my phone) but I could not locate vi on the pixi. I found a way to use internalz to emulate a sudeo vi. I researched what vi was and even got a vi editor for windows but I kinda gave up on your tutorial. However, now that you mention it I did have v 1.4.5. So it probably would have never worked until I downgraded my Palm webOS. It was cool though. Good Work.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    The WinXP drivers don't work for me. I have XP Home, Ver. 2002, SP2. The =ixi shows up in the device list, it also shows it as the NDIS thing. But, when I try to install the driver, it says “Device cannot start” (code 10) or something to that effect. The Pixi has the little yellow exclamation point next to it. Read through this whole poast and didn't see how to go about to fix this. But, this will work on my Win7 Pro x64 laptop, but XP just doesn't want to play nice.

Edit: Decided to dust off my Ubuntu disc and install 9.10 along side my WinXP install. At least now I can tether through my Linux distro and still have access to Windows if I need it. Since everything is made for Windows.
    Last edited by AquaHusky; 11/10/2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: To edit it.
    ok so I got everything running...connected...but no internet sharing. Can someone help please. Pixi from sprint and win 7.
    So will this work with a mac via bluetooth?

UPDATE: Yes, steps I followed:

Quote Originally Posted by battlebamon View Post
    First, follow all the instructions on the 1st page. Then I used this write up to make it easier to do:

1. In preware download the Internalz app (assuming you have terminal and preware).

2. When you open InternalZ (INZ) don't stay in the directory that is defaultly loaded. Instead use the '..' button to go all the way up main directory that just has a "/" under "Internalz" text in the center of the screen.

3. Once there go to var/home/root/ (this is the default directory for Terminal)(So any file can be loaded without typing in the long directory).

4. In the menu go to Create File. make 4 flies. The names should linked to USBNET disable and enable and tethering on and off (I used 1 for teth on, 2 for teth off, on for USBNET enable, and off for USBNET disable.).

(Note to edit files just click on them then go to open, the text editor opens, then to close just swing back (can't speak pre or pixi yet: I mean the line thing))

5. (Using my file names)(You can use whatever, just make sure they make sense and try to keep them short: less typing) In '1' (file) type in the code for enabling tethering, '2' (file) type in the code to disable tethering, 'on' (file) type in usbnet enable, and in the 'off' (file) type in usbnet disable.

6. Finally now in Terminal all you have to type is:
    "sh 1" :Turns tethering on
    "sh 2" :Turns tethering off
    "sh on" :Turns on USBNET
    "sh off" :Turns USBNET off

This makes my tethering so easy.
    no more "iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o rmnet0 -j MASQUERADE" and "iptables -t nat -F POSTROUTING" every single time.

All I have to do is if your USBNET is not on
    5. Done!

If found that if you don't turn off USBnet you never have to use the '2' file. Just use 1 over and over.

THEN FINALLY

1. Pair Pixi with Mac via Bluetooth
    2. Go to Terminal type: "sh on", then reboot
    3. Use freethether to turn on IP forwarding and NAT
    4. Go back to Terminal and type: "sh 1"
    5.Wait a sec.... Bingo. Streaming The Event within 3 minutes

Mac FTMFW
    Last edited by EOConcepts; 11/24/2010 at 12:26 PM.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast