Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I'm having trouble. I'm working with windows 7 64bit and I can't seem to get novacom driver on the computer. I have tried to do the webdoctor method to get it but its not working. Also I got freetether on the phone but can't get freetetherd on it.
    does the tethering work on the att pixi plus?
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingArthur72076 View Post
    I'm having trouble. I'm working with windows 7 64bit and I can't seem to get novacom driver on the computer. I have tried to do the webdoctor method to get it but its not working. Also I got freetether on the phone but can't get freetetherd on it.
    If you have Preware, you probably should use the Terminal app on the Pixi rather than going through Novacom. How did you install freetether? Freetetherd is actually a prerequisite for freetether if you install through Preware.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmlover123 View Post
    does the tethering work on the att pixi plus?
    Don't know! There's one way to find out! (Try it!)

AT&T's the only model we haven't confirmed yet. You could be the first!
    Quote Originally Posted by timjhenry View Post
    If you have Preware, you probably should use the Terminal app on the Pixi rather than going through Novacom. How did you install freetether? Freetetherd is actually a prerequisite for freetether if you install through Preware.
    I used webos quick install to put freetether on my phone but it won't put the other on it.
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingArthur72076 View Post
    I used webos quick install to put freetether on my phone but it won't put the other on it.
    Preware's probably your best bet then. If you install freetether with it, it'll install the other as well.
    Don't know! There's one way to find out! (Try it!)

AT&T's the only model we haven't confirmed yet. You could be the first!
    ok i will try it and get back to you on it!

UPDATE 1: for freetether in preware it says: "error installing" and yea......it says it couldnt execute the ipkg command....so idk if its possible for the att pixi.... but i will try!

UPDATE 2: gonna use webos quik install 2 morrow gud nite guys!@

UPDATE 3: IT WORKS ON QUIK INSTALL!!!!

UPDATE 4:idk if im typin the wrong things in...but it said "no chain/target/match by that name" so it would b nice if u got bak 2 me 4 some clarification
    Last edited by palmlover123; 09/11/2010 at 07:11 AM.
    timjhenry, do you know anything about changing the NAT settings from "moderate" to "open" on the Pixi? I play Xbox Live and when I test my connection I always get a message saying my NAT is set to moderate and needs to be open for best connection. I can play some games but often get disconnected, and sometimes can't find matches at all. I've scoured the Interwebs for answers and I get a variety of them. I hope it's not set on the carrier side and there's no way for us to change it at all.
    wow. really easy. thanks a bunch. Bluetooth too.
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    timjhenry, do you know anything about changing the NAT settings from "moderate" to "open" on the Pixi? I play Xbox Live and when I test my connection I always get a message saying my NAT is set to moderate and needs to be open for best connection. I can play some games but often get disconnected, and sometimes can't find matches at all. I've scoured the Interwebs for answers and I get a variety of them. I hope it's not set on the carrier side and there's no way for us to change it at all.
    The "moderate NAT" isn't why you're getting disconnected. The awful latency and flaky connection provided by the cell phone network is why. Xbox Live is meant to work on a stable, continuous home internet connection. Moderate NAT only means that the ports for Xbox Live aren't being forwarded, and it is using workarounds to establish connections to the outside world. NAT ultimately won't affect the stability of your game.

ADD: If you really want to pursue this further, you can toy around with your Pixi's firewall rules. However, if you screw up, you could do serious damage to your phone's connectivity. Whether the ports are forwarded or not, I seriously doubt you'll ever have a stable enough connection for online gameplay. Here are a couple of resources:
    How To: Open NAT. xbox 360..
    PORT FORWARDING
    Last edited by timjhenry; 09/12/2010 at 04:24 PM.
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmlover123 View Post
    ok i will try it and get back to you on it!

UPDATE 1: for freetether in preware it says: "error installing" and yea......it says it couldnt execute the ipkg command....so idk if its possible for the att pixi.... but i will try!

UPDATE 2: gonna use webos quik install 2 morrow gud nite guys!@

UPDATE 3: IT WORKS ON QUIK INSTALL!!!!

UPDATE 4:idk if im typin the wrong things in...but it said "no chain/target/match by that name" so it would b nice if u got bak 2 me 4 some clarification
    Can you give me the output of the "ifconfig" command on your Pixi?
    The "moderate NAT" isn't why you're getting disconnected. The awful latency and flaky connection provided by the cell phone network is why. Xbox Live is meant to work on a stable, continuous home internet connection. Moderate NAT only means that the ports for Xbox Live aren't being forwarded, and it is using workarounds to establish connections to the outside world. NAT ultimately won't affect the stability of your game.
    Well lately I've been getting a good connection with low pings, but the main issue is not being able to invite friends to a game or chat. I've done some Googling on port forwarding with iptables already but the descriptions are out of my league.
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Well lately I've been getting a good connection with low pings, but the main issue is not being able to invite friends to a game or chat. I've done some Googling on port forwarding with iptables already but the descriptions are out of my league.
    Yeah, I'm sort of an iptables beginner myself. I can't really advise anything just yet. Also, no offense, but Verizon's gonna kick your ***, dude.
    Heh I'll be okay, I don't game that much. I did watch nearly 10gb worth of videos last month with USB tethering though, no extra charges (yet LOL). But hey if they try to complain, we'll just explain how they have the best coverage at my home and we have no other good source of Internet available.
    Very new at all this and am not finding any of the tethering stuff your are talking about. Is this in the app store? help, thanks
    Help where do I find the terminal in my pixi?
    Planning on doing this over the weekend - the posts are extremely helpful. It is very clear what to do with quick install - can some one point out where exactly to find the ipk files freetherd and freether from Preware (Where inside Available Packages? Patch?) I am trying to avoid connecting to laptop through USB and doing it all OTA. It should be possible right? I won't ask about Mobile Hotspot app because that topic is taboo Just recently overclocked and running on 1 Ghz UberKernel , its grrreat!
    freeTether and freeTetherd can be found through Preware in the testing feeds (check the link on the first page, and make sure to add the feed for ALL and the feed for your device, Pixi or Pre). I do not know exactly where they are, I did it the obnoxious manual way by telling Preware to show me the list of everything and scrolling down to the F section.

Other than that, yes, you can do everything you need OTA as long as you already have Preware installed.

Also, for smjorgemancrumb, sorry for getting back to you so late, this should answer your question as well. Install Preware to your Pixi (see the first step on the first page) and add the testing feeds. You will find a terminal app and the freeTether apps there.
    Quote Originally Posted by smjorgemancrumb View Post
    Help where do I find the terminal in my pixi?
    it's an app in preware
    here's a "dumb" question:
    When i'm finished with a tethering session, what do I need to do to end the session and get things back to normal?
    I'm thinking that the process should go something like this: (Running XP Pro SP3 & Sprint Pixi)
    1) Safely remove hardware from XP taskbar
    2) Unplug the USB
    3) open Terminal on the Pixi and run "usbnet disable" & "reboot" as instructed
    4) once reboot is finished, plug in pixi and run the reinstall novacom from webos quickinstall

Also, a follow-up question:
    I have a patch for my pixi that i found through preware that gives me some nice options in launcher, including showing the hidden apps. One of the hidden apps is "USB Passthrough" which has an option to enable usbnet. Could this be used instead of the terminal command to turn USBnet on and off? Anyone familiar with this?

By the way, thank you very much for the information in this thread. Tethering is such a basic necessity for a smartphone, I just don't get why it is not a supported function for all the smartphones.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast