Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Let me do that right now and I'll let you know what happens. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by timjhenry View Post
    If you've got a yellow exclamation, I believe that means you're not getting an IP address from the Palm device (you will see a 169.x.x.x address in ipconfig). If that's the case, then I would try reinstalling freetether and freetetherd. In the context of this guide, freetether is the step that allows DHCP to work.
    How do I uninstall freeTetherD? I was able to uninstall freeTether already.
    nm. I uninstalled freetetherD trhough Preware 1.3.6 (newest update).
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiff_Ellis View Post
    Ok, so I'm not quite as big of a techie as most people here, but I have my AT&T Pixi tethered with Mobile Hotspot. Had that not worked, I was willing to go through the steps outlined here, but all I had to do was download a couple of files. I grabbed freetetherd and the "already patched" version of the Mobile Hotspot app. It was super easy, and so far, it is working perfectly. Most of the posts I read showed not so great results with this method, but it's working for me.
    That's great, but this topic was specifically created because that doesn't work for the rest of us.
    Didnt work. I uninstalled and reinstalled both freetetherD and freetether. same result.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey08 View Post
    Didnt work. I uninstalled and reinstalled both freetetherD and freetether. same result.
    I would try doctoring if you've ever tried any tethering technique before this one.

If you don't want to do that just yet, you could try forcing your Pixi to give IP addresses:

Edit /etc/dnsmasq.palm.conf
    Add interface=usb0 below the existing interface line
    Add dhcp-range=192.168.0.11,192.168.0.12,12h below the existing dhcp-range
    Restart the dnsmasq process: stop dnsmasq; start dnsmasq
    Or you could assign your own IP:

Set your IP address as 192.168.0.203 ( could be anything except 192.168.0.202, assuming this is the Pre's address)
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.202 (your Pre's address for the usb0 interface)
    Set DNS to your preferred servers. Addresses are not currently resolving for me, regardless of the server I use
    I feel like I am having a somewhat different issue than most. I cannot get Windows XP to recognize the Novacom driver or the RNDIS driver. I have tried using WebOS Quick Install to reinstall the Novacom driver, but it doesn't work. In addition, I have downloaded the RNDIS driver listed for Windows XP 32 bit and every time I try to install the driver, I get an error that 'The specified location does not contain information about your hardware.'

Any ideas? Without the RNDIS driver loading, I'm sure I'm dead in the water as I cannot even get to the point where Windows recognizes my Pixi as a network adapter.

Please help if you can!

UPDATE:

After doing a full erase, I was able to get Novacom working. Next was a trip to the WebOS Doctor, and I restarted from scratch. Enabled Dev Mode, installed Preware, freetetherd and freetether and a terminal application. Once I did the usbnet enable command and restarted my Pixi, the same issue with Novacom begins again.

As an aside, on my Windows 7 box, I can get the RNDIS driver to load, but still cannot get Novacom to work while usbnet is enabled.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by kajensen119; 09/06/2010 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Update
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by kajensen119 View Post
    I feel like I am having a somewhat different issue than most. I cannot get Windows XP to recognize the Novacom driver or the RNDIS driver. I have tried using WebOS Quick Install to reinstall the Novacom driver, but it doesn't work. In addition, I have downloaded the RNDIS driver listed for Windows XP 32 bit and every time I try to install the driver, I get an error that 'The specified location does not contain information about your hardware.'

Any ideas? Without the RNDIS driver loading, I'm sure I'm dead in the water as I cannot even get to the point where Windows recognizes my Pixi as a network adapter.

Please help if you can!

UPDATE:

After doing a full erase, I was able to get Novacom working. Next was a trip to the WebOS Doctor, and I restarted from scratch. Enabled Dev Mode, installed Preware, freetetherd and freetether and a terminal application. Once I did the usbnet enable command and restarted my Pixi, the same issue with Novacom begins again.

As an aside, on my Windows 7 box, I can get the RNDIS driver to load, but still cannot get Novacom to work while usbnet is enabled.

Any ideas?
    Novacom appears to stop working with USBnet turned on. I just made a note of this in my main post. You'll need a terminal app installed on the Pixi to get around this without wiping. I have, however, found a way to get tethering to work in XP (see OP or post below). Thanks for the heads up!
    Last edited by timjhenry; 09/06/2010 at 05:37 PM.
  9.    #49  
    Hey, great news! I figured out how to get Pixi USBnet working in Windows XP! I had to modify the Pre's USBnet driver with the correct device ID. The modified driver is attached to the original posts. My instructions have been revised as well.

Good luck!
    TimJHenry, my friend, you are a God among men. Or something, but still super awesome. It works flawlessly! You might add to the directions that it after entering the iptables command that it still will not show an IP address in freetether, but thank you so much!
    Ok I have been through this thing from back to front and I still can't get a connection. Has anyone been able to do this using xp pro sp3. I can get the phone to show up in network connections and put in the ip and such but even when I disable every other connection on my pc other than that one I still can't get an internet connection. It shows a 463 kbps connection and a transfer of 7 bits up and down but thats it. I also have a bang in device manager on Novacom and no apparent driver for it but being as part of the instructions say to kill novacom in the task manager to stop lag I don't think that is the problem.
    Yes, I just got it finished properly in WinXP Pro SP3.

For the Novacom issue in Device Manager, that happens when you enable USBNet with Windows XP. Disable USBNet, and Novacom works again. This is only a problem if you do not have a terminal app installed or you need to use WebOS Quick Installer to load something.

If you can get the Pixi to show up in Network Connections, you are almost done. A few questions:

Did you install freetether and freetetherd?

Is freetether running?

Do you have IP Forwarding turned on in freeTether?

Did you enter the iptables command into your terminal app on the Pixi?

In Windows, click on the start button and click on Run. Type in cmd and press enter. Then type in ipconfig and find out what you are getting for the gateway and the IP address for the Pixi as a network adapter (I leave the network adapter set for DHCP and the gateway shows up as 192.168.0.202 and the IP address was something like 192.168.0.86 I think - I can't check right now, that computer is in use by someone else.)
    ok so im just wondering what cost there is for using this on a sprint pixiif any? can someone please tell me. Ive searched and found conflicting answers. i just need a straightforward one.
    There should be no additional charges with Sprint (assuming you have one of the unlimited data plans) as all the tethering work is done from your phone and not through any official Sprint program or application. That being said, I have no idea if Sprint has one of those unadvertised limits on their 'unlimited' plan or if they really mean unlimited. I have heard it is truly unlimited, but I am not planning on doing excessive data transfer - just a way to get internet access for some college homework on my laptop on the long bus ride to and from work.

To Sprint, it is just more data that your Pixi is requesting.
    Ok I installed freetether but could not locate freetethered. Ip forwarding is on in freetether and I did put in all the listed commands in my terminal. when I run ipconfig I get an ip address a subnet mask also a secondary Ip and a defalt gateway and a bang on the network pixi in network adapters. I also changed my interface to 60 and still no go. Device manager says the palm pixi network adapter is functioning properly and all the drivers went in just fine. I'm also using web OS 1.4.5 and can't get back to 1.4.1 because the Jar file is no longer working for some reason. Thanks for your help...
    You need freetether and freetetherd. If I understand it correctly, freeTether is the app that we can use to adjust freetetherd, the software that works directly with WebOS. You get both from the Preware Testing Feeds (see the first post in this thread for the link and make sure you add both the Pixi feed and the All feed). Once you have freetetherd installed, do the USBNet enable command again (I am not sure this step is necessary, but it doesn't hurt anything). Once it reboots, open freeTether again, make sure IP Forwarding is turned on again, and make sure your computer's Pixi Network Connection is set to obtain an IP address and DNS automatically.

Let us know if that doesn't work, I'll see what I can find about this once I am home.
    Quote Originally Posted by kajensen119 View Post
    There should be no additional charges with Sprint (assuming you have one of the unlimited data plans) as all the tethering work is done from your phone and not through any official Sprint program or application. That being said, I have no idea if Sprint has one of those unadvertised limits on their 'unlimited' plan or if they really mean unlimited. I have heard it is truly unlimited, but I am not planning on doing excessive data transfer - just a way to get internet access for some college homework on my laptop on the long bus ride to and from work.

To Sprint, it is just more data that your Pixi is requesting.
    Cool thanks. That's the answeri was looking for. I'm probably just going to use it here and there on my laptop when I don't have wifi.
    Well now there is someone who knows what they are talking about... Thanks for teaching this old dog some new tricks... this is from my little pixi that gets a faster connection than my dsl... Thanks again for all your help and keep up the fantastic job...
    One last question... If I update to 1.4.5 this will still work right??? I managed to get it back to 1.4.1 before I reloaded the freetether and freetetherd.
    I'm running 1.4.5 and no problems.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast