Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516 LastLast
    I have one question if anyone might know, I did the radio swap everything is working fine but if I have to restore my phone will it see the wife and all the sprint tokens? Or will I have to do it all over again? Sorry if its a stupid question thanks guys
    *wifi not wife
    Hey thanks all for the posts, you saved me big time. My daughter wanted a pixi. Sprint sells them for around 300, ebay and amazon (new to excellent condition) for over 100.
    Then I noticed verizon pixi's selling for for 50-60 new. Ok, buy a beat old sprint pixi, put the guts inside the verizon, and turn on wifi. Worked great thanks to the posting here.
    thanks all.
    is anyone else having trouble finding the mobile hot spot in preware?
    Quote Originally Posted by djrms357 View Post
    I have one question if anyone might know, I did the radio swap everything is working fine but if I have to restore my phone will it see the wife and all the sprint tokens? Or will I have to do it all over again? Sorry if its a stupid question thanks guys
    After it's been fully converted over to Sprint, using the stock Sprint doctor is fine (and exactly what should be used).

Quote Originally Posted by machjeff1985 View Post
    is anyone else having trouble finding the mobile hot spot in preware?
    You are looking for FreeTether ... Mobile Hot Spot is the official app and is only included normally via the Verizon doctor.
    o hahaha I already had that, works like a charm huge thanks to everyone that helped on this
    So before I spend any money. I can get a New verizon pixi that sell for ~55 on amazon with no contract and a broken screen Sprint pixi with a clear ESN. Take everything out of the Sprint pixi and put it in the Verizon pixi, doctor it and I will be able to activate the phone on Sprint?
    Quote Originally Posted by j_t_heilbrun View Post
    So before I spend any money. I can get a New verizon pixi that sell for ~55 on amazon with no contract and a broken screen Sprint pixi with a clear ESN. Take everything out of the Sprint pixi and put it in the Verizon pixi, doctor it and I will be able to activate the phone on Sprint?
    Not that I know of ... the process documented in this thread is to only move over the WiFi/Memory module from a Verizon Pixi Plus into the (still functional) body of a Sprint Pixi. There may be another thread that discusses/documents more extensive disassembly/reassembly, but I don't think that's in this thread.
    Just won a VZW Pixi Plus off eBay with a bad ESN for $11.50 shipped. Can't wait for it to get here so I can void my warranty.

One question. If I use the Sprint ROM from the Megaupload link, do I still need to do the official Sprint doctor after that, or does the ROM take care of it? Sorry if this has been asked before.

ETA: I see this has been asked before, and I do need to run both doctors. Might I suggest mentioning this on the first post, since it seems to be a FAQ. Just adding something like "Yes, you need to run both" would be good.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Successfully added WiFi to my Sprint Pixi. Thought it was very interesting that the WiFi icon just appeared on the menu without me having to do anything to get it there. Also backed up and restored my text messages using the info here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1692143

There was some concern in that thread about the database not transferring properly from one phone to another, but it seemed to work fine for me. Probably because I transferred it back to the same phone it was originally on.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Probably not going to get the answer I'm looking for, but does anyone have a definitive answer on whether or not there is anything to be done after using onlinespending's rom?

Finally got my pixi plus in the mail, need to get a Torx screwdriver set before I can perform the surgery though >_<

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTolsonator View Post
    Probably not going to get the answer I'm looking for, but does anyone have a definitive answer on whether or not there is anything to be done after using onlinespending's rom?

Finally got my pixi plus in the mail, need to get a Torx screwdriver set before I can perform the surgery though >_<

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Probably not, because yes, you will have to do more work after using onlinespending's rom. That one was 1.4.1.1(?) and you'll certainly want to update up to the current version of 1.4.5.

If you've got an appropriately sized eyeglass screwdriver laying around, you can use that just as easily as the proper torx screwdriver.
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    Probably not, because yes, you will have to do more work after using onlinespending's rom. That one was 1.4.1.1(?) and you'll certainly want to update up to the current version of 1.4.5.

If you've got an appropriately sized eyeglass screwdriver laying around, you can use that just as easily as the proper torx screwdriver.
    Gotta stop at a hardware store, I checked the screwdrivers that I had, no dice...

And updating the rom doesn't bug me, I was just curious if there were anymore steps besides updating before I could use it...
    just did the same mod, but installed a sprint onto a verizon hardware (same thing but relocate the entire thing after swapping boards)
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Think im gonna try this. Time to find a super cheap verizon pixi.
    I completed this project last week after shelving it for months--I didn't have much of a need for wifi. After buying the TouchPad, however, my need for wifi went up, so as to tether the phone's data connection to the tablet using freeTether. Everything is working fine, and I have been traveling with my TouchPad and don't have to worry about lack of internet connection.

A few interesting things occurred while performing this comm board switch. After booting the phone for the first time with the new Verizon comm board in it, I decided that I wanted to use the phone for a bit without reflashing with the webOS Doctor. The instructions say that this is a possibility, but it didnt work for me. Upon entering my Palm profile information, I was made to install the latest update (1.4.5.1), an update which I have still yet to see. At first I thought, "cool, finally I get the update." Long story short, the verification process failed.

After the try with the unflashed boot, I went ahead and ran the doctor linked to in the instructions. After this process was complete, I decided to try boot up and try and sync with my palm profile again, just to see if it would give me the option of downloading 1.4.5.1 again; strangely, it did not, just 1.4.5. So I just powered off and installed 1.4.5 with the doctor for its speed.

I just thought I'd share that last bit because I thought it interesting that, pre-flash, the phone wants to update with the latest legacy webOS version, but after the flash it's just back to 1.4.5.
    That's probably because VZW has released the 1.4.5.1 update but Sprint has not.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j_t_heilbrun View Post

My Pixi was already activated on Sprint, but everything else I did.
    And since the digitizer recently broke, I needed to do the swap badly.

Using the video by gitit20, I was able to take apart and map out all the bits I needed/wanted.

I took the Sprint mainboard + original back with the correct serial and MEID in the battery compartment over to the Verizon front casing + digitizer. Then I added the Verizon radio board to the Sprint mainboard. Then So my Pixi has a Verizon front casing and the network shows up as Sprint.

As gitit20 documented, VZW nav was there so I flashed to OnlineSpending's 1.4.1 Sprint rom, then updated through OTA to Sprint 1.45. Call quality and all else has been great. Thanks to all who contributed here!

BTW, there may be steps about swapping out the mainboard, but if not I can post pics. There was one additional ribbon cable to be disconnected under the radio board that is accessible after lifting a centered flap of metal on the mainboard.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    Will this work with a radio board from an AT&T pixi plus as well?
    Is this procedure still valid? About to try on a new-to-me phone. Is the sprint webos doc version now 1.4.5.1? If so does the procedure still hold???

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kalex View Post
    Update- Finally swap is done and 100% working

Onlinetrading - your second restore jar did the trick.

so here are the steps that I took:

1) erase all data on current Sprint Pixi
    2) disassebly of both
    3) swap the radio, Power it on. Click next to activate the phone
    4) Shutdown Hybrid Pixi with USB Cable connected to it and the computer
    5) double click on the onlinetrading's Jar file that gitit20 uploaded , English, Accept, Next
    6) Hold Volume UP and power up Pixi to get to the USB Mode
    7) Next on the webosdoctor should be enabled now. Restore, reboot, get to the profile sign in screen.
    8) Power off again, download original sprint 1.4.1.1 webosdoctor file. Do a restore again
    9) sign in to my Palm profile and let it restore settings and download apps
    10) activate Wifi and test your Sprint navigation, phone functions, web, EVDO. I also did a PRL update and Network settings update.

Now its 100% working Sprint Pixi with Wifi

thanks again everybody for helping

Alex