Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516 LastLast
    Thanks for this, I was able to swap out the boards and now have wifi for my wife's Pixi. I am running the MegaUpload file to change the tokens but it does not seem to connect, the next button is greyed out. I know the device is connected to my computer as I can pull it up as a USB Device and move stuff over. Any thoughts?

Sean
    Quote Originally Posted by seandavidson View Post
    Thanks for this, I was able to swap out the boards and now have wifi for my wife's Pixi. I am running the MegaUpload file to change the tokens but it does not seem to connect, the next button is greyed out. I know the device is connected to my computer as I can pull it up as a USB Device and move stuff over. Any thoughts?

Sean
    It needs to be connected in Recovery Mode. If you can pull it up as a USB Device, it's not in the right mode yet.
    @appsotutely I can't believe I forgot that, thanks for your help. I will try that out when my wife gets back home tonight.

Sean
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    It needs to be connected in Recovery Mode. If you can pull it up as a USB Device, it's not in the right mode yet.
    Great got it working and my wife has her Sprint Pixi Plus with Sprint Nav that is the most important app is her Nav.

Sean
    OK... So did I read that ONLY the 1.4.5 Doctor was needed after a comm board swap in the Pixi?? ... Or was that just wishful thinking?

Also... Can't I just use terminal to edit the tokens that have been displayed on page 4 or wherever?? Would the phone explode or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    OK... So did I read that ONLY the 1.4.5 Doctor was needed after a comm board swap in the Pixi?? ... Or was that just wishful thinking?

Also... Can't I just use terminal to edit the tokens that have been displayed on page 4 or wherever?? Would the phone explode or what?
    You need to change tokens with a carrier-ignoring meta-doctor'd doctor, then run the standard Sprint doctor to restore back to full Sprint functionality (with the addition of WiFi). Basically, you'll always need to run two doctors after a board swap.

I've always wondered why you couldn't just edit the tokens but I've never tried that out myself.
    Hi - Having a little problem after trying the WiFi swap. Seems everything executed accordingly, up to the final Palm Profile log-in screen. Here’s what I did.

Equipment
    my Sprint Palm Pixi (WebOS 1.4.5)
    Used Verizon Palm Pixi, bought online

Here are the steps that I took:
    1) Used the Backup App to back up my Sprint Pixi contacts, etc. Then, erased all data on phone and USB Drive.
    2) Followed the video tutorial (great feature btw) and swapped radio boards. Sprint Pixi now has Verizon radio board.
    3) Held Volume UP and powered up Sprint Pixi into Recovery Mode, with USB Cable connected to it and the computer
    4) Ran Onlinespendings’ ROM file (thanks for your work), from Original Post
    5) Powered off Sprint Pixi
    6) Powered on Sprint Pixi, and activated- English, Accept, Next. Did not sign-in to Palm Profile.
    7) Powered off Sprint Pixi
    8) Held Volume UP and powered up Sprint Pixi into Recovery Mode, with USB Cable connected to it and the computer
    8) Downloaded and ran Sprint 1.4.5 doctor.
    9) Powered off Sprint Pixi
    10) Powered on Sprint Pixi, was again prompted to activate- English, accept, next.
    11) At Palm profile log-in screen, entered email address and password.
    12) Receive message that my email is not associated with any Palm Profile? Wahappen’?

Anyone encounter this problem? I can’t imagine my profile has disappeared. Did I miss a step? I reread through this thread to see if I missed something, but didn’t see anything. Then, I ran the Sprint 1.4.5 doctor again. Still unable to log into my Palm Profile. I don’t really want to create a new profile, since I’d lose all my contacts. Sorry for troubling you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnykkon View Post
    11) At Palm profile log-in screen, entered email address and password.
    12) Receive message that my email is not associated with any Palm Profile? Wahappen’?
    The Palm profile doesn't just disappear. Go to http://www.palm.com/profile to make sure that you have the right email for your profile. Could you have used any other email address when creating your original profile?
    Completely user error.

Logged in successfully. WiFi is running. Sprint Nav is running. Works like a charm! Tres cool.

Wow. Do I feel like an *****. For anyone interested in a story of an absent-mind, please feel free to skim below.

I only have two email addresses; I kept trying to log into my profile with them over and over again, but to no avail.

I used the link to the Palm Profile page, which appsotutely provided, hoping I'd just forgotten my password and could have it sent to my email account. But, even on Palm's page, there seemed to be no Palm Profile associated with my email address. Thus, no password to send.

After much pondering, I remembered that when I first bought the phone, I was still getting used to the Pixi's keypad and made many typing errors. One particular letter was a nuisance to my learning curve, and I kept pressing the incorrect key next to it, in all my messages. This particular letter was also present in my email address.

I decided to try logging into the Palm Profile webpage again, but this time as I typed I intentionally hit the incorrect key, the one I had commonly missed. My password I entered normally. Bingo. All this time, I had been using a misspelled email address, and as I never needed to log into my profile again since the initial activation, I never noticed my error. Thankfully, the Palm Profile webpage allows users to change their email addresses and I quickly inputted the correct spelling. What a trip. Hope no one else experiences such a debacle.
    Quick question. Has anyone else had a problem installing the UberKernel on their modded Pixi? I had it, and Govnah installed before I did the radio board swap, and it worked perfectly.

After the radio swap and flashing my Pixi with the Sprint tokens everything works like a charm, except that I can't install UberKernel through Preware. I haven't tried it through webos doctor yet though.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by madeincanon View Post
    Quick question. Has anyone else had a problem installing the UberKernel on their modded Pixi? I had it, and Govnah installed before I did the radio board swap, and it worked perfectly.

After the radio swap and flashing my Pixi with the Sprint tokens everything works like a charm, except that I can't install UberKernel through Preware. I haven't tried it through webos doctor yet though.

Thanks!
    Did you only flash once (to the get tokens right)? Or did you also flash a second time with the stock Sprint doctor?
    Did you only flash once (to the get tokens right)? Or did you also flash a second time with the stock Sprint doctor?
    I only flashed once with the embedded Sprint ROM in the original post.
    Quote Originally Posted by madeincanon View Post
    I only flashed once with the embedded Sprint ROM in the original post.
    I think that ROM was only for 1.4.1, wasn't it? Can you verify what version of webOS your Pixi is currently at? Is it already activated back on Sprint or are you using it only as a developer device? If it's at 1.4.1, then you either need to let it update itself up to 1.4.5 or you'll need to run the stock Sprint doctor to get it up to 1.4.5.
    I think that ROM was only for 1.4.1, wasn't it? Can you verify what version of webOS your Pixi is currently at? Is it already activated back on Sprint or are you using it only as a developer device? If it's at 1.4.1, then you either need to let it update itself up to 1.4.5 or you'll need to run the stock Sprint doctor to get it up to 1.4.5.
    Well when i first did the radio board swap, I didn't worry about the ROM. But when I realized that many of the patches wouldn't work with 1.4.1, I decided to download it.

Before, when I tried to update from 1.4.1, the update app wouldn't let me. It said something about not being able to verify the install. After I flashed it, I was able to update it to 1.4.5.

Its already activated for Sprint, I'm not using it as a dev device.

UPDATE: After trying to install UberKernel through Quick Install, it seems to have installed. It still gave me an ipkg install error, but UberKernel showes up in the Installed Packages part of Preware, and Govnah is showing that I'm now running at 807.4 mhz.
    Last edited by madeincanon; 04/04/2011 at 10:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Is there a WebOS Internals wiki for this process? I understand the Hardware radio board swap, but I'm kinda confused on everything else.

Correct if I'm wrong, but this is what I know so far:

1) Radio board swap
    2) Log into Palm Profile
    3) Get Sprint Tokens or info by using the app that gives you a ton of details. It's like Properties or something.
    4) Proceed to use meta doctor

Now, couldn't someone make a script that creates a custom doctor using the Sprint and VzW Pixi ROMs? It seems like it's possible if we can get 2.1 on a Pre.
    I think the idea is that the Doctor in the OP will do everything that you need to do, but considering the nature of its creation, it's best to just wipe it with the real Sprint Doctor to make extra sure that you're getting the system setup EXACTLY how Sprint/Palm gave it to you, on a real Doctor.

If you're using a "production" device that you're actually using as your phone, you'd probly be best with the True Doctor.... Not much of a big deal to let the REAL Doctor run a second time for 10 minutes, gettting more "stable" results in line with most every other "production" webOS device.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    A successful swap here -- gotta say, even easier than hacking my TiVo!

I didn't have a Torx, but the smallest phillips in my 6-piece screwdriver set fit very nicely. I did panic a little until I realized the screws were covered up with something plastic-y that I needed to drill through in order to get to the 4 screws.

I gotta say, the toughest part was getting those two screws back into their holes, and the ribbon cable and antenna seemed daintier than I expected. Just be careful and the angles used in the video work. It helps to know that the ribbon cable doesn't use pins, just contacts. I used the first doctor on the opening post, and just let the phone upgrade to 1.4.5 on its own. Until that point, I'd followed the previously mentioned step-by-step.

Just wish I knew someone on Verizon to give/sell my Pixi-minus to.
    Wow this is awesome...

Thank you gitit20 and everyone else for figuring this all out and posting about it!

I watched the video and followed the steps and now have a Sprint pixi with wifi!

The *only* issue I have having now is getting the hotspot to work... I am having the same problem others have reported...everything seems to be all set and working...but when I go to turn it on I get the message about how my carrier doesn't allow sharing...

Any idea what is causing this? Did I not install the right version of some file?

Is there a specific order of step...first start freetether and select USB then start hot spot?

Should I start the wifi on my pixi first? What about doing something with data to make sure the ev-do/3G/data is connected?

UPDATE Figured out the problem....when I read in the post about the hotspot installation:

"for more info see this post Please note the different versions of freetetherd! One is for the armv7 CPU (Pre) and the Armv6 (PiXi)

How To: Install Mobile Hot Spot on Sprint PRE "

I went to the link and it talks about installing freetetherd and then extra files... HOWEVER the files in the post are ALL you need...installing those two via webOS Quick Install did the trick...

It is all so simple...I was making it complicated! I'm so glad I finally made the jump from my 755p to my Pixi....getting wifi was really the last hurdle that kept me from switching!
    Last edited by Atif; 04/26/2011 at 06:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Hm, wonder what'll happen on my Franken-Pixi with the rumored update.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Hey everyone:

So I have a VzW Pixi Plus and a Sprint Pixi in my hand. Both are unactivated and never been out of First Use App. Here are my questions:

Do I need to have the Sprint Pixi activated?

So first thing is to do the hardware radio board swap. Then put the new Sprint Pixi with Wifi in Recovery mode in order to run the ROM in the Megaupload link on the OP.

Go through the paces there. Afterwards, I can now use the regular Sprint Pixi 1.45 Doctor and Doctor is that way.

Activate device (with a call to Sprint) and boom. Should be good to go.

Let me know if these steps are correct. I am chomping at the bit to do this soon.

UPDATE:

Just did the hardware part of this conversion. Everything turned on and got the First Use app. Shows up as Verizon (obviously cause the nand flash drive is Verizon). Software part coming later tonight.
    Last edited by bnceo; 05/03/2011 at 07:20 AM.