Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AndiG63
  1.    #1  
    Hi, first post here. I just ordered the Palm Pixi Plus from AT&T and I'm new to the world of webOS. I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this question: Does the Palm Pixi (or webOS in general) support the Bluetooth DUN (Dial Up Networking) profile? I've seen posts referring to "MyTether" and "FreeTether" which seem to provide functionality similar to PDANet (which I am familiar with), but just want a straight answer.
    Last edited by matt912836; 07/25/2010 at 07:39 PM.
    you meed to have the right data plan and then use the at&t connection manager. Cal their cust service and make sure you have the right plan for tethering.
  3.    #3  
    I'd hate to have to pay another 20-50 dollars a month on top of the data plan. I currently have a $10 a month unlimited family data plan for my samsung "dumbphone" which supports Bluetooth DUN and I get away with it just fine. Having to up the price to $25 a month just because it's a smartphone and being capped at the same time already sucks. I don't actually tether my computer to it, I tether my iPod Touch to it, so I won't be downloading gigabytes of data and make it obvious. It would look like normal phone data usage. I know you can tether it via WiFi but that is a huge battery killer on any phone and the iPod. Through Bluetooth, it's a lot less strain and I can actually get through the whole day on one charge with moderate usage. I simply want to know if the Pixi supports the Bluetooth DUN profile out of the box, and if not, what do I need to do to make it support it.
    it shouldnt be that much more. My monthly cost went down a bit when I got my Pre Plus (on Verizon) and when I researched AT&T for a friend, it didn't seem that much more.

The other option is to research MyTether and FreeTether to see if they support the Pixi on AT&T.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  5.    #5  
    Which leads back to my question, is the DUN Bluetooth profile supported in those pieces of software?
    I believe it is on the Pre, not sure about the Pixi. The nice thing about Palm smartphones is that they support wifi so DUNS becomes less important...

Reserve yours today!
  7.    #7  
    So no one has a straight Yes or No answer on weather it supports DUN tethering, no matter the circumstance?
  8.    #8  
    Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by matt912836 View Post
    So no one has a straight Yes or No answer on weather it supports DUN tethering, no matter the circumstance?
    I can tell you that I THINK that is how the AT&T connection manager works, but I don't have one available to confirm.

I suggest that you focus on the fact that it CAN tether, rather than which protocol it uses. I find that tethering via WiFi is so much simpler that DUNS hasn't entered my thinking since the day I turned off my Centro and started using my Pre Plus.

There are a few other threads around here that have discussed tethering with AT&T, but they were more focused on how to make it work it the AT&T connection manager and/or MyTether. As long as you can connect wirelessly (i.e. wifi) isn't that what you really need?

Sorry if I'm missing something. I haven't tethered to an AT&T phone in a while, but the last time I did it was bluetooth/DUNS to a WinMo phone from a friend. But that was a while back, and I assume that AT&T leverages the wifi radio wherever possible...
    PS, I did a quick search and found many threads that may help you, including this one where the user is praising how well MyTether works with his AT&T phone...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-iphone-t.html

Reserve yours today!
    I need DUN too. This is the only way for my Tomtom to connect to the internet through a mobile phone.

Does anybody have a solution?
    aleeceh likes this.