Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    What is the best way to find out what apps/patches/settings etc etc are draining my battery so fast? I'm going to change my email to check less often, but want to see what else may be a factor.
    Change your email to "as arrives". here are a few tips i've picked up

-Set mail to as arrives
    -Bring brightness WAY down
    -Set turn off to 1 or 2 minutes
    -turn off GPS, or get the patch that turns it off when you exit maps
    -if you have facebook, set it to manual fetch
    -bluetooth off when not in use
    texting kills a battery quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    Change your email to "as arrives". here are a few tips i've picked up

-Set mail to as arrives
    -Bring brightness WAY down
    -Set turn off to 1 or 2 minutes
    -turn off GPS, or get the patch that turns it off when you exit maps
    -if you have facebook, set it to manual fetch
    -bluetooth off when not in use
    texting kills a battery quickly.
    Change an email to as arrives makes the battery drain more quickly. It means as you get new emails it will come into your phone which will then waste battery life because it's constantly checking to make sure there's no new emails. Try manual check and just click the refresh button. Or try it at maybe like 6 hours or something. Then, it will only check email at each 6 hour mark meaning less data usage compared to as they arrive.
    I was told by quite a few people on here as it arrives is the best option. I've never had a battery issue and i get a lot of emails daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    Change an email to as arrives makes the battery drain more quickly. It means as you get new emails it will come into your phone which will then waste battery life because it's constantly checking to make sure there's no new emails. Try manual check and just click the refresh button. Or try it at maybe like 6 hours or something. Then, it will only check email at each 6 hour mark meaning less data usage compared to as they arrive.
    Not necessarily. If you don't get a lot of email, setting your frequency to "as email arrives" will actually save battery, simply because it does not checking at any interval for new email.
    Really? I was under the assumtion "as arrives" pushes the email instead of checking constantly. At least when we're talking gmail. In a pop3 scenario I'm on your side.
    'til we meet again.
    THL
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    "as arrives" is the best setting for your email to save battery life
    Quote Originally Posted by THL View Post
    Really? I was under the assumtion "as arrives" pushes the email instead of checking constantly. At least when we're talking gmail. In a pop3 scenario I'm on your side.
    Unfortunately the only mobile devices that have true push are blackberries... the way it works for us is that with "as it arrives" setting, the phone maintains a very light connection to the server and is then alerted when any changes to a folder occur.

Here are some things to consider for most people on battery life:

There is a lot of debate as to whether push is better than polling on the phone. If you get lots and lots of emails all day long the answer isnt even that simple... because if your phone only polls periodically and then has 20 emails to download it doesnt do it as efficiently as it would for a single email. Unless you are using wifi. It kind of one of those things where you need to try a few different settings each for a couple of days, watch your battery... and weigh the results against your own asthetic... (in other words... you might have great battery life if you only check every 6 hours... but, do you like only checking your mail every 6 hours?)

The wifi radio is much more efficient than 3g data, so if you can connect to your wifi when at home or at work, use that.

Turn the brightness on your screen down... I keep mine at a constant 13%... with the reflective screen you can still see it in the sunlight, and its not overly bright in the darkness either. The screen is one of your largest battery drains.

If you arent using your instant messaging, log off. That makes sense right?

There are lots more tips... just do a search... lots and lots of threads on this subject.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I also have email set to 'as arrives' it was my understanding that gmail pushes emails to the device as it arrives, hence the name. Meaning the phone doesn't constantly poll your email client, and there is no constant data connection.

I previously had my email checking every hour, but as I receive less than 24 emails per day I found that 'as items arrive' saved baterry a bit more. Ymmv, because the pre and pixi are funny creatures. Certain days the battery seems worse than others, even when usage is about the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by alhaqq View Post
    I also have email set to 'as arrives' it was my understanding that gmail pushes emails to the device as it arrives, hence the name. Meaning the phone doesn't constantly poll your email client, and there is no constant data connection.

I previously had my email checking every hour, but as I receive less than 24 emails per day I found that 'as items arrive' saved baterry a bit more. Ymmv, because the pre and pixi are funny creatures. Certain days the battery seems worse than others, even when usage is about the same.
    The pre doesnt have true push... only blackberries do.
    my friends android phone has an app that shows him what services are on and how much drain they put on the battery. Is this possible for us???
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    my friends android phone has an app that shows him what services are on and how much drain they put on the battery. Is this possible for us???
    Yes... it would be possible... but really kind of unnecessary... there is a direct correlation between system resource usage and battery drain. So you can tell with jstop what is drawing battery in real time. Govnah will also give you some basic battery drain info... you can use the two in conjuntion.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Not necessarily. If you don't get a lot of email, setting your frequency to "as email arrives" will actually save battery, simply because it does not checking at any interval for new email.
    I was always told that as they arrive would waste battery because unlike checking emails either every 6 hours or 8 hours or manually, it has a constant connection to EVDO/3G & that wastes battery. If you manually check it, than that means the email app doesn't ever have to set a EVDO/3G connection until you manually refresh it. Idk. It seems to me having it to as they arrive would be like keeping IM on all the time. It has a constant connection with the email server to make sure the changes are synced.

Have I been wrong?! I have mine to manually check, I don't really get many emails so would as they arrive be more efficient? I guess I'll run a test and see how long my battery lasts.