Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    Hi, new member here.

    My question is is there any way to use a Palm Pixi Plus for T-Mobile?

    I know the Sprint and Verizon versions' are CDMA, so that's out of the question. Can I use an At&t Palm Pixi Plus (it's GSM) for T-Mobile.

    There's a listing on eBay right now for an At&t Palm Pixi Plus that is unusable, but shows an "unblock code" screen. Can I take my T-mobile sim card and insert it in the phone, somehow get an unlock (or unblock? (What's the difference?) code and use it?

    Thanks
  2. #2  
    Hi bazinga and Welcome to the P|C forums!

    Using a webOS device on TMobile has been talked about on here in the past and the consensus is 2 fold. The ESN of the device is tied to AT&T, so it would be up to TMobile to allow that ESN to be allowed into their system (not very likely as they don't like to do that). I've heard others say that the phone's radio frequency isn't a match between the two companies also - making the use of a phone from one network onto another a limited experience (data would not work at 3G). Someone with more experience can tackle this question for you and tell you how far off I am.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Hi bazinga and Welcome to the P|C forums!

    Using a webOS device on TMobile has been talked about on here in the past and the consensus is 2 fold. The ESN of the device is tied to AT&T, so it would be up to TMobile to allow that ESN to be allowed into their system (not very likely as they don't like to do that). I've heard others say that the phone's radio frequency isn't a match between the two companies also - making the use of a phone from one network onto another a limited experience (data would not work at 3G). Someone with more experience can tackle this question for you and tell you how far off I am.
    I don't really mind not having 3G data, I just would like to use this phone for phone calls and messaging.

    I know somebody who has an At&t phone and called At&t for an unlocked code (which he got), and is using it for T-mobile right now. But that was 2 years ago, and I'm not sure it works like this anymore?
  4. #4  
    If you could get the Pixi unlocked you could use it on T-Mobile but without 3G. T-Mobile uses the non-standard 1700 Mhz band for their 3G services which is not supported by the Pixi. It should still work on EDGE.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    If you could get the Pixi unlocked you could use it on T-Mobile but without 3G. T-Mobile uses the non-standard 1700 Mhz band for their 3G services which is not supported by the Pixi. It should still work on EDGE.
    I could live with EDGE.

    But I've been trying to find information for unlocking a Pixi and can't find any. Is there any way to do this and get it for T-Mobile?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    If you could get the Pixi unlocked you could use it on T-Mobile but without 3G. T-Mobile uses the non-standard 1700 Mhz band for their 3G services which is not supported by the Pixi. It should still work on EDGE.
    LOL... I knew it was something like that
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bazinga View Post
    I could live with EDGE.

    But I've been trying to find information for unlocking a Pixi and can't find any. Is there any way to do this and get it for T-Mobile?
    There are a few threads floating around about unlocking the GSM Pre. That would be a good place to start since the method is probably similar for the Pixi.

    My wife has a Pixi and loves it BTW. It's a great little smartphone.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    LOL... I knew it was something like that
    You were spot on my friend.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    There are a few threads floating around about unlocking the GSM Pre. That would be a good place to start since the method is probably similar for the Pixi.

    My wife has a Pixi and loves it BTW. It's a great little smartphone.
    Yeah! I love the way it looks and webOS!

    The process of having an unlocked Pre+ should be similar to the Pixi+ then?

    Sorry if I'm sounding like a total noob , never had a Palm before.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bazinga View Post
    ...The process of having an unlocked Pre+ should be similar to the Pixi+ then?
    Yup... exactly the same
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by bazinga View Post
    Yeah! I love the way it looks and webOS!

    The process of having an unlocked Pre+ should be similar to the Pixi+ then?

    Sorry if I'm sounding like a total noob , never had a Palm before.
    I am only guessing. I have never dealt with unlocking GSM smart phones because I am a CDMA junkie.

    Being the same manufacturer and running the same OS, it seems like the logical approach to take.

    Hope this helps.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I am only guessing. I have never dealt with unlocking GSM smart phones because I am a CDMA junkie.

    Being the same manufacturer and running the same OS, it seems like the logical approach to take.

    Hope this helps.
    Big help, thanks! Time to start doing a little researching!
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I am only guessing. I have never dealt with unlocking GSM smart phones because I am a CDMA junkie.

    Being the same manufacturer and running the same OS, it seems like the logical approach to take.

    Hope this helps.
    When I was on the DeathStar network I used to let my buddy borrow my Treo680 to use on his t-Mobile account. He never had issues using it for calls, but data wasn't the fastest. But it did work...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    When I was on the DeathStar network I used to let my buddy borrow my Treo680 to use on his t-Mobile account. He never had issues using it for calls, but data wasn't the fastest. But it did work...
    Isn't the Treo already unlocked?

    Anyways, I don't really care for speed, just as long as it works. I just don't want to spend 300 dollars for a phone that won't work for my network unless I know it will work for sure.
  15. kalex's Avatar
    Posts
    253 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #15  
    You might want to be careful with Pixis. They are not the same way for unlocking. All the sites that sell Pre unlock codes don't sell Pixi unlock codes. your best bet is to get one from ATT and try to get the unlock code from them. You might want to ask somebody who has ATT service to help you out, but its not guaranteed.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by kalex View Post
    You might want to be careful with Pixis. They are not the same way for unlocking. All the sites that sell Pre unlock codes don't sell Pixi unlock codes. your best bet is to get one from ATT and try to get the unlock code from them. You might want to ask somebody who has ATT service to help you out, but its not guaranteed.
    So there is a way for Pre's to be unlocked for T-Mobile right?

    The pixi need's an "unblock code" ( I think) which I don't really know what it means.
  17. omullins's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    #17  
    Call AT&T. You should not have to pay for an unlock code from a source that may not be reliable. It is perfectly legal to unlock a phone for your own use.

    (I do not have experience with AT&T, but I once purchased a T-Mobile UK phone, and emailed them explaining I wanted to use it on T-Mobile US. Free unlock code, easy as pie.)

    Oh yeah, I needed a T-Mobile UK SIM to do that, so you might need an AT&T one. You can buy a cheap prepaid one though.

    Good luck!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Sorry guys but none of this info really answers the OP's questions.

    - No, there is no current unlock client for the Pixi. Nextgenserver has yet to work on one.
    Just keep an eye out on nextgenserver.com. I suggest whomever sees the Pixi unlock client is available, post a new thread. Your other options (in general) are to obtain the unlock code from AT&T or any other third client unlock solution with access to an IMEI unlock codes database. When using this last option, please note Palm Repair will probably relock your phone if you ever need to send it in for repair).

    - Do NOT buy any phone (Pre or Pixi) asking for an UNBLOCK code. This means some moron punched in TEN incorrect UNLOCK codes (thinking he could beat a 10 to the power of 10 encryption system in ten tries). You will need AT&T help to get around this one, and chances are none of the AT&T reps you speak with, will know what you're talking about.

    General advice, if you don't know what certain things mean, don't spend money on it.
    Just donate to charity if you have too much money lying around.

    Okay, here's the beef.

    I went around today to about 13 cell phone stores. All of them were T-Mobile, except one At&t, which I'll get up to later.

    After talking about the plans and rates and whatnot, I asked each one of the reps if they could unlock a Palm. They asked what kind, and I said Pre+. (I've basically given up on the Pixi, sorry if this is in the Pixi thread).

    Each rep either said that "Palm is only for Sprint, sorry.", "Palm...? What is that?", or "If it's gsm you can do it, *nod*". The At&t rep said that since the Pre+'s software is so new, and just like the HTC Aria, it is not yet unlockable even if it is gsm.

    So basically I'm confused, because each place gave me a different answer and 70% of the people don't know the company Palm or thinks it sucks. I even got a rep to look at a image on a computer and ask in a disapproving tone "You want....THIS phonee?"

    To sum it all up, I think the Pre+ is the way to go, seeing as I don't really like T-Mobile phones and all other in general (webOS ftw!!), does anyone know if nextgenserver works for the At&t Pre+? Like actual proof of an unlocked Pre+ from nextgenserver running on T-Mobile network?

    Sorry, but thanks again.
  19. saves's Avatar
    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bazinga View Post
    The At&t rep said that since the Pre+'s software is so new, and just like the HTC Aria, it is not yet unlockable even if it is gsm.
    LOL He is going to tell you that if its true or not.

    I was in a Sprint store and mentioned to my GF that the prices were higher and would just get it online and the guy rushed over all condescending "we have the exact same prices as online", "but the pixi is only..." "Oh except the Pixi yea..." "But Radio Shack (which is two stores over in the mall) has them for the online price just ran out" "Yea but Radio Shacks warranty sucks...." lol

    Never believe the guys in the brick and mortar stores, they sell liiieeesss
  20. #20  
    Welcome If you can manage to get it unlocked some how then yes you would be able to use it on t-mob I think if you buy the phone form AT&T at no contract price you can get the Sub unlock code from them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions