Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by jccjmml7 View Post
    ^I have a similar setup to yours and have not had a problem with Govnah rolling back to Palm default with phone reset. I had to do a patch recovery when I upgraded to 1.4.5, but that is all.
    Did you OTA update or doctor?
    Verizon Pixi Plus on 1.4.5 w/ Preware
  2.    #82  
    I'm redoing my phone one more time the same way i listed before, i'll see if the problem persists. I'm going to just delete the performance profile that way i'm not making 10 profiles, that drives me nuts!
    ^^Ran EPR through preware. I have never had to doctor my phone.....yet.

BTW, I have had Govnah fall back to Palm default 2 times with 1.4.1. Both times with phone reset. It did retain my profiles though.
  4.    #84  
    So far so good. I wonder if one of my patches conflicted/conflicts with it. I'll see. It retained my profile too, except it didnt remember compcache...
  5.    #85  
    ok so it saves the profile & compcache now but still resets. I guess I can live with it if I have to.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    my compache wont enable..wen i try and apply it it goes back to disabled?
  7.    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by jvilly92 View Post
    my compache wont enable..wen i try and apply it it goes back to disabled?
    I had that problem. I had to wipe my entire phone.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
    I had that problem. I had to wipe my entire phone.
    wat do you mean wipe entire phone? Doctor it? Or jst remove patches and apps?
  9.    #89  
    I did this:

1. Delete Backup (removes everything but apps [will clear app scores though])
    2. Full Secure Erase (Wipes everything off of USB portion of phone)
    3. Doctored

This will make your phone factory new, with the acception of you having a Palm Profile which will save all the applications you have on your phone. It will erase patches, custom kernels, contacts, calendar and all logins. Like i said, the phone will be like factory new. Do it in that order if you decide to because if you do any out of order youll have to log back into your phone which will then be a pain in the ****! Backup exists on the phone so you delete that first, then secure full erase, then doctor.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Hi,

I am having some difficulty with Uberkernel, Govnah, or both. I enabled compcache in Govnah and created a new profile. However, I am unable to change to the new profile. Govnah immediately reverts back to the default palm profile. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Is there any way to verify that my Pixi is using the Uberkenel. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
    You know, Ive discovered its pretty much useless to use any sort of ondemand govenor on the pixi until the screenstate one becomes available. Because, through my experiments, I noticed the pixi when its screen is off, no matter what your cpu governor is set too, it goes to 600mhz!
    With that, you probably have to overhead of it constnatly polling your cpu speed when its idling and screen off, which eats cpu cycles for no good reason...thus causing battery drain faster than usual.

When the screen is on, all is fine and dandy, sure it goes to 122mhz properly when its pretty at whatever % you assign in profile, but pegging that % is nearly always since Ive noticed any little thing you do will easily peg the CPU to 80+% for a short period of time.

But in all honesty the above paragraph is meaningless because, when the screen is on and Im using the phone, thats when I actually want max performance as possible...not to have it lagging here and there because its swithing from 122 to 600mhz constantly.

So, in conclusion Im using the performance governor set to 600mhz at all times. Ive noticed a slight increase in battery life while phone is sitting doing nothing. Probably because the governor is not sitting around polling the CPU utilization constantly for speed settings in vain, because no matter what screen off = 600mhz on pixi.

So, it wont be till screenstate governor works with our phones that the govnah cpu settings will be useful =)
    Wait wait wait a second here...I am so confused, so I got to thinkin about this further. It shouldnt be 600mhz when the screen is off...the ondemand governor of linux does not care about any output device state when determining what speed the cpu should run at...

So, is the govnah application itself just bugged? and it doesnt properly track cpu speed when system screen is off or what gives? I am gonna see if I can write a script that will cat the contents of ..../cpufreq/cur_cpu_freq or whatever ... while the screen is off to see what its really doing...

Will report back when I have this figured out.
    The Govnah application does nothing other than instantaneously set kernel configuration parameters.

The governor logic itself is in the kernel, and for the Pixi is unchanged from Palm's code.

Also, remember that when the screen is off and the device is not performing any background tasks, the clocks are turned completely off (e.g. 0MHz). It is usually best to get to this true idle state as quickly as possible.

-- Rod
    Oh its not "on" at all then when screen is off? that doesnt make sense though, how does it stay connected to the network and such. Is it a certain sleep state or something?

So then, govnah just cant accurately read the cpu state when the screen is off.

Also, I noticed the system is quite active when the screen is off, if I open up terminal and just let the thing sit there, with the screen off...there are constant powerd messages saying the system woke up like every 5-30 seconds...

So something is waking it up in the background, just not turning on the screen.

Also....as part of my test, I ran watch "cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state" and it does show the cpu more being in 122.88 mhz than in 600mhz when screen is off...so that tells me, that when the screen is off, inspite of govnah reporting a constant 600mhz...the system actually does properly go to 122.88mhz

So, ignore my 1st post above! It works as meant but govnah doesnt report it correctly.
    Therefore, there is no need really to have a screenstate.
    Govnah does not take any samples of anything when the screen is off. That is intentional.

The kernel still continues to keep it's time-in-state records (other than when it's in the true 0MHz sleep state), and Govnah retrieves those periodically for display.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    not sure if the govnah app is even working on my sprint pixi, regardless of what profile i create and select, it still shows palm Default.

*scratch this, the new profile started to work for some reason
    Last edited by jin5; 10/06/2010 at 02:24 PM.
  17.    #97  
    Any updates?
    Min 200MHz
    Max 1000Mhz
    Performance.... it usually only get up to 806.4 MHz
    Memory/Swap 189/22 mb
    Quote Originally Posted by bigworm1195 View Post
    Min 200MHz
    Max 1000Mhz
    Performance.... it usually only get up to 806.4 MHz
    Memory/Swap 189/22 mb
    Turn off manual settings. The kernel doesn't do 1GHz.

Again, EVERYONE TURN OFF MANUAL SETTINGS.

-- Rod
    that's funny.
    hey Suzuki there are some good profiles over in the experimental overclock forum, I suppose it would be better to have them in here instead...
    wymby likes this.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast